MC reassembly questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-18-2021, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

MC reassembly questions

I had a lot of my parts blasted and powder coated by another guy a few years ago. Needless to say some of the small parts did not get returned.

He broke down my working MC (there was a previous engine fire, brake fluid drips and rusted exterior) so it looked bad and then PC it in a black crinkle. It looks fantastic and will stand up better then paint. That being said now comes the time for me to reassemble it. Pretty straight forward but ran into a bit of an issue.

I do not have (in order of the schematic)
1 - Push rod retainer (1 round)
2 - washer
3 - retaining ring (This I have)
4 - Push rod retainer (clip)
5 - Boot (think this is actually inside the brake booster holding the push rod)

Are these actual missing parts or am I looking at an overly exploded or a generic universal view? Seems to me that only the piston and Retaining ring will fit.

Does anyone have their MC separated and can show me an example?

Just wondering if I am actually missing parts or just confused again.

Attached Thumbnails
Jeep mc rebuild.jpg   IMG_5474.jpg   IMG_5475.jpg   IMG_5476.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2021, 06:40 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

You have the wrong diagram, there is no pushrod or push rod retainer or boot. I am unsure on the washer, i do not recall having one but I have seen them on manual hydraulic masters, they are part of the pushrod retaining parts.

The diagram is for a manual MC, not a boosted one.

You should be OK to put some silicon grease on the piston seals and very gently insert it into the very clean bore. then put the circlip in the end. The key here is a perfect bore and careful handling of the seals.

Wen you put it on the booster, you should have a few thou of clearance between that stud on the booser and the piston. Literally a few thou. Any more and it will not work very well.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #3 of 3 Old 06-19-2021, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You have the wrong diagram, there is no pushrod or push rod retainer or boot. I am unsure on the washer, i do not recall having one but I have seen them on manual hydraulic masters, they are part of the pushrod retaining parts.

The diagram is for a manual MC, not a boosted one.

You should be OK to put some silicon grease on the piston seals and very gently insert it into the very clean bore. then put the circlip in the end. The key here is a perfect bore and careful handling of the seals.

Wen you put it on the booster, you should have a few thou of clearance between that stud on the booser and the piston. Literally a few thou. Any more and it will not work very well.

I figured it was a general print error as I did not lose any parts (and those missing parts would not fit anyway). I have a hone for the bore so it is perfect and clean. Got some silicon grease and assembly went excellent. Next up is bench bleeding before the install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in