• 1 Post By Jim1611
  • 1 Post By StoneTower

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Lowering seat bracket?

I have Corbeau RS seats, and used their brackets to install them, as the OEM ones were too tall. I was looking at my neighbor's YJ, and he still has the tilt system and OE seats in it, and I got to thinking I'd take a 2nd look at mine, and what it would take to lower them.

The stops are the side pins, one of which is what the latch hooks to.

What if I was to install new pins, an inch or so lower? I would have to rework the latch, too.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Measuring his, it is shorter, about that inch. The offset side to side has a difference of 0.25", so a 0.25" shim would be needed to make it level.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2020, 01:15 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello cutlass

im in the same boat. i have been waiting for a local steel place to open there doors for walk in or going back to work next month so i can get a bar of steel to make a new set of brackets. one other member gave me his original driver set of stationary brackets. i using them for a template of how i think i want it. the factory seat brackets gave the seat a 10 degree tilt back which is what i really want back. for the passenger side not really sure what i want to do yet. i might just make another bracket that doesnt tumble forward. not really sure yet.

oldschool

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Rick take a look at what Bob did to lower his https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...5/index44.html

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Rick take a look at what Bob did to lower his https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...5/index44.html
I was reading it, got thru to where he got the body back from paint.. A lot of reading, reminding me of what fun times many of us went thru - some deeper (you, Coiz, etc) - during rebuilds.. Gotta figure out where I was, my phone closed Tapatalk on me the other day...

Rick

post #6 of 8 Old 05-29-2020, 06:44 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Rick to me some parts of the forum are not as they were back then. Every day there was a group of us that usually poked fun at each other and sometimes were helpful. Many times that was on Skerr's thread. Most of those guys have moved on and we don't see them any more. It was always interesting and entertaining. I miss that stuff. I've been blessed though to make some good friends here. Some I've met, some I talk to on the phone and others just here. Because of this forum I got to meet Mike (Coiz) and we went on an elk hunt together in Colorado with his brothers, Mike grew up there. I met almost all of his family. That all happened because of this forum. So yes we have had some fun times here! We still will too!
Cutlass327 likes this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #7 of 8 Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

cutlass hopefully i will be at work in a couple weeks then i can order some steel from alro in town. normally i just order then go pick it up when using for personal use. unfor there policy right now is delivery only. if i order at work then i dont pay a delivery fee if over a couple hundred bucks. if i send to house its a outrages price for delivery. i understand but not willing to pay. long story short is when build my mounts for the seats that is a little lower and has the 10 degree tilt back i will be glad to send you a copy of my crude drawings.

oldschool
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

There was a thread 5 or so years ago where a guy cut a section out of the tilting seat brackets and his finished shortened brackets still tilted but were shorter. I wish someone could find that thread. I would like to do it someday. At the time when I saw the thread, I had sold my MIG welder (that I had for about 23 years) with the intension of buying a much better one and had yet to decide what I wanted to buy. I went for a little over a year without a MIG welder and it felt like someone had cut my arms off when I was working on projects. You can bolt and rivet stuff together, but having a "metal glue gun" opens up so many opportunities. I hope someone can find that thread and that the photos have not been deleted by Photobucket.

EDIT: I did a little looking and I found this

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/shorten...rackets.49667/
Cutlass327 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in