lowering break pedal? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
logan1813
1980 CJ7 

Garage
lowering break pedal?

I was wondering if there was a way to lower the break pedal cause its like stupid high to the point where its unsafe for me. has anyone lowered there's. Might be a dumb question but I was curious.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4557.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Is your system stock? modified?

You will need a shorter pushrod or to shorten the one you have. Some are adjustable some are solid. It may be possible that the wrong one has been installed. This is more likely with manual brakes, not so much with power.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #3 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 07:44 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Brake pedal looks right, it's the clutch pedal that is too low.

Seriously, see if you can find an adjustable brake rod. or cut and weld yours to the right length.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
logan1813
1980 CJ7 

Garage
as much as I know is that it does have power breaks I don't know if it came factory like that or if someone put that in. I want to make it like a car pedal where the break pedal is only a little higher than the gas
post #5 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I know what you mean, there are many times when I'm at a traffic light on a hill I wish I could heel and toe the two pedals.

Just realise that if you drop the pedal too low, there might not be enough room for the pedal to move incase of a brake line failure.
Normally the pedal will drop until the side with the break in the brake line will seal up and you can brake with the part of the system that is still intact.
If your pedal hits the floor, then you won't be able to use the intact side of the brake system.

Also, how much travel would you need incase the power boost system fails?

You could put a block on the gas pedal like my PO did.

Also you might have to relocate your brake light switch if you run out of room to make anymore adjustment.

How much room do you have between the pedal and the floor now?
Maybe someone can make a measurement for you.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
logan1813
1980 CJ7 

Garage
from the bottom of the pedal to the floor its just under 7inches.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 09:06 AM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

I had the same problem with our 85 automatic CJ7. Brake was way too high - nearly 4-7 inches further out than the gas pedal and way high off the floor. Watching my wife drive it was a bit uncomfortable since she's used to more modern configurations where you don't have to lift your foot so high off the floor to make contact. I worried about an emergency stop where she'd miss the pedal, or get caught underneath it.

I converted it to power brakes and assumed the high pedal was for leverage on standard brakes. I couldn't find anything on power vs. manual brake pedals for automatics. Adjusting/cutting the master cylinder rod wouldn't work because the brake light switch wouldn't adjust in enough to make contact.

I had an extra pedal box so I ended up cutting the pedal, extending it (Tig weld) and adjusted the angle so the pedal surface matched the angle of the gas pedal. A bit of a PIA but it's way more comfortable now.

Not sure why it was the case, but on 35 year old vehicles, you never know. I suppose in another 35 years I will be the PO that the next buyer will complain about
Chrisinchwk likes this.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #8 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
logan1813
1980 CJ7 

Garage
thank you. Thats exactly what I was talking about. Im going to do exactly that
post #9 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1813 View Post
from the bottom of the pedal to the floor its just under 7inches.
Clutch is suppose to be 8" off the floor according to the manual.

I had a girlfriend almost 40 years ago that wanted to drive my jeep. On a winding road, she got her foot stuck under the brake pedal with the gas full on. If I hadn't grabbed the wheel, we would have gone over the cliff. She finally freed her foot. Never seen a girl so scared in my life. She didn't want to drive the jeep anymore after that.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #10 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 PM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

For me, my wife's obsessed with Jeeps and if momma aint happy, I'm @#$ed.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #11 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 01:28 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsoncj7 View Post
I had the same problem with our 85 automatic CJ7. Brake was way too high - nearly 4-7 inches further out than the gas pedal and way high off the floor. Watching my wife drive it was a bit uncomfortable since she's used to more modern configurations where you don't have to lift your foot so high off the floor to make contact. I worried about an emergency stop where she'd miss the pedal, or get caught underneath it.

I converted it to power brakes and assumed the high pedal was for leverage on standard brakes. I couldn't find anything on power vs. manual brake pedals for automatics. Adjusting/cutting the master cylinder rod wouldn't work because the brake light switch wouldn't adjust in enough to make contact.

I had an extra pedal box so I ended up cutting the pedal, extending it (Tig weld) and adjusted the angle so the pedal surface matched the angle of the gas pedal. A bit of a PIA but it's way more comfortable now.

Not sure why it was the case, but on 35 year old vehicles, you never know. I suppose in another 35 years I will be the PO that the next buyer will complain about
What height is your pedal now so he has something to shoot for?

Got any pictures?

post #12 of 18 Old 06-09-2020, 02:04 PM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

Hi John - that and a bunch of other stuff is out getting powdercoated right now. I'll post some pics and where I cut and spliced when it comes back.

I think we finally settled on about 4.5 inches off the floor and about 2 inches forward of the accelerator pedal. That made the pedal go through its arc and hit the firewall at the transition where the angled part of the floor hits the firewall. We looked at our cars and a few others in the neighborhood to see what the general orientation is these days and roughly followed those.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #13 of 18 Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
logan1813
1980 CJ7 

Garage
awesome sweet man. Thanks
post #14 of 18 Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Mine is really tall or far from the floor/firewall. I never really noticed it until this thread. Im probably going to convert my manual brakes to hydro boost eventually, and maybe address it at that time.
Attached Thumbnails
5B17962C-8A73-4F0E-9E9F-588A6673C3F1.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 18 Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

Yeah, it is kind of an odd setup compared to stuff built in the past decade or two. I figured since I have my dash out to do the heater box, as well as put in a Lokar floor shifter, I'd tackle the pedal. When I get everything back, I'll pop up some drawings of the piece I spliced into the pedal as well as where I cut it.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in