Loss of power - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
zeebart

Loss of power

I had a shop work on my '81 CJ7 over last summer to help me get through emissions testing (I kept failing and got turned backwards with the carb adjustments). They adjusted the timing, the carb, and added a fuel regulator. They said that everything else looked really good and were impressed with the Jeep. It still has the original 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" engine. Rebuild tranny and carb. Passed eventually.

Since then it've slowly lost power. When I accelerate or attempt to climb a steep hill the power that I once had (albeit not that much, it's the 4 cylinder Duke) is not there. I hit the gas and the engine does rev, but the tranny doesn't catch up for a little while. There's a sweet spot if I don't push too much on the accelerator it will put out the torque, but it performs like my old '72 VW bus climbing the coast range.

Before I dive into possible solutions, anyone have any ideas? Timing? Carb? Loosing compression in one or more cylinders?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 07:51 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Too much undercoating weighing you down....

Sorry, with your usename, I couldn't pass it up. You mention the motor revs then the tranny catches up so automatic? Basics, pull the plugs and post some pictures so we can see if it is running rich or lean. Also doing a compression test won't hurt.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 PM
jibib

What carb are you running on it? I had same experience on my 86 4 cyl when I put the Carter carb on it to pass smog.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 PM
restorationride

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebart View Post
I had a shop work on my '81 CJ7 over last summer to help me get through emissions testing (I kept failing and got turned backwards with the carb adjustments). They adjusted the timing, the carb, and added a fuel regulator. They said that everything else looked really good and were impressed with the Jeep. It still has the original 4 cylinder "Iron Duke" engine. Rebuild tranny and carb. Passed eventually.

Since then it've slowly lost power. When I accelerate or attempt to climb a steep hill the power that I once had (albeit not that much, it's the 4 cylinder Duke) is not there. I hit the gas and the engine does rev, but the tranny doesn't catch up for a little while. There's a sweet spot if I don't push too much on the accelerator it will put out the torque, but it performs like my old '72 VW bus climbing the coast range.

Before I dive into possible solutions, anyone have any ideas? Timing? Carb? Loosing compression in one or more cylinders?
Simply put, it sounds like a transmission problem.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Nothing in your profile about you or your jeep.
Not enough information posted to help. Automatic or manual transmission?
Filling out your profile helps.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-14-2020, 11:07 PM
restorationride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckCorvette View Post
Nothing in your profile about you or your jeep.

Not enough information posted to help. Automatic or manual transmission?

Filling out your profile helps.
I thought it was filled out. Anyway, automatic or manual transmission doesn't really make a difference. Sounds like a transmission problem either way...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 22 Old 02-25-2020, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
zeebart

Manual transmission. 151 4-cylinder '81 CJ7. Trying to send a pic see if it works...
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Carb.jpg  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-25-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
zeebart

And here's a couple of the plugs...
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Plug1.jpg  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-25-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
zeebart

Trying again with the pix
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Plug2.jpg   Jeep Carb.jpg   Jeep Plug1.jpg  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Plugs look ok, but i would swap them to a normal set of plugs from autolite/champion/delco, I have never been a fan of the v-power plugs, they would wear off the outer edges of the 'V' and then your gap would grow and not want to fire correctly. Like already stated though, if your motor revs up and the Jeep doesn't speed up, then you are more looking at a transmission issue. The color/smell does the ATF have when you pull the dipstick?
ddawg16 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 22 Old 02-25-2020, 05:09 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

From your description of how it acts, it sounds like the transmission to me as well. "I hit the gas and the engine does rev, but the tranny doesn't catch up for a little while."

Although you have a Weber carburetor and they take some specific adjustments. This may also be a problem. "(I kept failing and got turned backwards with the carb adjustments). They adjusted the timing, the carb, and added a fuel regulator."

The plugs look reasonably good, so your carburetor, and timing, can't be that far off???

UTN
post #12 of 22 Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

clutch slip?
keith460 and uptillnow like this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #13 of 22 Old 02-27-2020, 12:39 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
clutch slip?
That's what it has to be. Otherwise how can a manual trans have to "catch up"?
post #14 of 22 Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Most likely the clutch but I had the same symptoms when my rear hub started to wear on my rear axle.

But that had a grinding noise going along with it.

It would slip and catch, slip and catch and then, at the right speed, it would grab and seem fine until I made a turn again. That probably had something to do with the LSD in the rear axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #15 of 22 Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

zeebart - Your Jeep has a manual transmission. You stated in your original post the transmission was rebuilt. Was a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing installed at the time of the rebuild? Does your Jeep have a slave cylinder for the clutch or linkage?

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in