looking for external door applique. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lugnut28

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

looking for external door applique.

Looking for the applique (textured decal) around the outer door handle on a hard top.

see area around the door handle

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay611745.jpg

Went to Collins Bros. jeep today and they had the textured thin vinyl. Not like the thicker vinyl that comes standard on the hard doors. anyone have an idea where look?

Must be the thicker stuff, otherwise Im not going to mess with it as my current applique is ok- minorly cracked. Definitely better than the thin vinyl.

This came on a 1982 CJ7 Laredo package.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 PM
PERK
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
been away from Cj7's for awhile...try Phoenix Graphics
post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2019, 05:49 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Also look into Golden Eagle Decals, better than Phoenix Graphics but I do not see the door applique on their website. Call or email them, they probably have them.

Here: http://goldeneagledecals.com/

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2019, 04:56 PM
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

This is where I got mine.
http://austinjeeps.com/newitems.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
keith460 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 05:32 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut28 View Post
This is where I got mine.
http://austinjeeps.com/newitems.html

That was the other place I remember in Texas but couldn't think of the name. But it turns out it is in fact the same place that I posted, just a different website for the decals.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

thanks everyone for the replies. I would of replied sooner but had forum login issues. I purchased the decals from Austin jeeps and these were to my eye almost identical matches in texture. The ones from collins bros were not even close to being as good as these. They are not cheap but but quality is there. He said he has 17 pairs left and could not get replacement material to make them. If you ever want to do this, go buy them and put them away for a rainy day. They were a pain in to install. I scrubbed with mineral spirits and a plastic scrapper and used lacquer thinner in small amounts to avoid dripping to remove old adhesive.

Key to install these is to use a heat gun around the door tops and sides to get the vinyl to soften. It becomes very malleable once you do that. Just don't overheat them. Doesn't take much. Might as well get a set of external window wipes while you are doing this.

Since my external door handles were rusted, I did all at once any they look great. Thanks for the suggestions. wish I had pictures but didn't take any
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What was the price from Austin?

Thanks,

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
What was the price from Austin?

Thanks,

Matt
139 a pair. I told him that's the most I'd pay for decals in my lifetime. But they are identical ( I say Identical, I am am sure there's a minor difference) The decals that came factory are just now cracking and it's a 1982 laredo, so If I get 30 years out of the next set, I'll be dead. I'm the original owner of my CJ. It was my first car and I've kept it since high school.

BTW, I'm going to try the KIWI leather dye treatment on my fenders this afternoon. They are aftermarket fenders but oxidized. Thought it would be a cheap solution. Next step is to replace them all. Will one bottle do all four fenders?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirious1 View Post
139 a pair. I told him that's the most I'd pay for decals in my lifetime. But they are identical ( I say Identical, I am am sure there's a minor difference) The decals that came factory are just now cracking and it's a 1982 laredo, so If I get 30 years out of the next set, I'll be dead. I'm the original owner of my CJ. It was my first car and I've kept it since high school.

BTW, I'm going to try the KIWI leather dye treatment on my fenders this afternoon. They are aftermarket fenders but oxidized. Thought it would be a cheap solution. Next step is to replace them all. Will one bottle do all four fenders?

Yeah, that's kinda pricey for decals.

Are your aftermarket fender flares made with the same Kraton polymer that AMC used? It feels like a cross between plastic and rubber. If so, the shoe dye should work, and one bottle will be plenty. If your flares are a harder plastic, like many aftermarket versions, I don't think the dye will work as well. The key is a material that will soak up the dye.

Matt

post #10 of 11 Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Fender material is much like factory.

BTW. the goldeneagle decals link Keith460 provided sends you to Austinjeep. I think it's the same guy.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Rick_Fury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Was this an option on all models with full doors?

Or was it only included with the Renegade, Laredo, etc.?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in