Looking for advice - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-16-2020, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
JGalt

Looking for advice

I am looking for a plain Jeep with a manual transmission to keep at a place near Apalachicola, Florida. I was thinking of a 70's or 80's model with a 4 cylinder engine. No real off roading. It would be kept on a property that has some sand and would be useful in going over the occasional fallen tree. It would tow a single axle trailer to the dump or to pick up supplies from the local home improvement or garden store. It might go out to St. George island to the park. Low tech and simple. No rust holes in the body. Bikini top or regular canvas top. I am looking at a 1980 in Mississippi for $3500. with a 4cyl and 3 speed. It jumps out of third so I either rebuild it or replace it. 4 speed or 5 speed? I think $3500 is high for a vehicle that needs a transmission.

It might do an occasional road trip to Panama City and back. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-16-2020, 07:19 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Why only the 4 cylinder?

Sounds like you are going to do few miles, so fuel consumption is not so important that you would want to save a few dollars a year. The 4 cylinder is almost underpowered but sounds like you do not need much power. Maybe you would find a better overall vehicle if you expanded your search to 6 cylinders as well.

Rust is the main consideration, the mechanicals are easy enough to swap. If it is rust free and has good paint, a viable interior and a working engine even better.

The T150 was phased out in 1979 and as a 3 speed is a good transmission, a medium duty iron cased box that is mated to the dana 20 transfer box. Later Jeeps have a 4 or 5 speed and the Dana 300. With a 4 cylinder you may want more gears but if you do have the T150/Dana 20 combo your options are limited for a different transmission without changing the transfer case as well. Novak transmissions have a bunch of info to help you.

It is however a relatively simple transmisison and a rebuild is not tricky. You may find a local shop that can do a really good job for small $ or you can feasibly do it yourself with a few tools.

As to value, depends on your area. I would look at comps on working 4 cylinder CJs, which are not that high, and deduct the cost of a shop taking it out and fixing it. Depends on what YOU are willing to pay for a project.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I think you are limiting yourself too much. Given your criteria, I would suggest just about any year Jeep, as long as it isn't chopped or hacked and is mechanically sound.
Be sure it has a serviceable top and doors.
CJ5's are a bit more cramped. 7's are larger and easier to get into and out of. This may be a factor if you are older, tall, very short, or have flexibility issues.
I think a 6 or 8 cylinder would be better suited for your trips to Lowes or Home Depot.
A rust free Commando bay also be an option.
While there are a couple of transmissions to be wary of (BA10),for your application, about any of the other transmissions should work.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM
MainCJ7
1976 CJ7 

Garage
Absolutely open up your search to any of the available engines. With light use and off road use a six or V-8 fits in to your proposed use. Rust is the much greater issue. If you can find a Jeep with less rust even if the engine is a little tired.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 09:51 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

My experience with the 4 banger Jeep (drove on for 20ish years before doing an LS Swap)... as long as you don't plan to get there in a hurry, don't have big tires, and don't mind have the paddle to the floor at all times, you will be fine. Although pulling a small trailer with on sucks if there is ANY uphill involved.

However like those above, I would open my options up to all CJ's with 4, 6 or 8's. 4 bangers being the the last option only if it was in really good shape. You are not going to gain any gas mileage between a 4 or 6.

While I said you will be fine with a 4 banger, life in a 6 or 8 is just a lot better.
Horder likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
JGalt

The reason I wanted to stay away from the V8 is complexity and mileage. I thought the 4 would be fine and I think the 6 would also. I wanted a stick for simplicity as well. The area the Jeep would live is an hour's drive to a WalMart. Plus I would have to keep it on a Battery Tender since there might be months in between use. I have a Suburban for big jobs.

I am discovering rust is the big issue. And over the top modifications. The flat steel dash of the early vehicles is simple and uncluttered. I am trying to get a handle on price and value. The 1980 I am looking at that pops out of third would seem to need a transmission rebuild. The asking price is $3500. which I think is strong for a vehicle that will need a transmission rebuild and probably a clutch once it is apart.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 02:07 PM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

CJ prices are all over the board depending on where you live.

I'll admit for my 1980 4 banger I paid that...just a little more. Did I pay too much? Maybe a little, and that was 20+ years ago. It did however have 3 tops and very little rust.

I also paid $1,800 for an 86 with a 6 in it...complete POS, straight out of New Jersey that was mostly rust.

As I'm sure you know, it isn't "just a transmission swap." Most likely it is going to involve 1 or both drive lines, either shorter or longer, clutch and other odds and ends. A rebuild will cost $700 or so for a shop to do.

I'm not saying stay away from the 4 banger, I'm just say as far as "fun to drive"....meh. But not too bad if you just want to cruise around in.

They are however easy to work on and in my experience you get lots of practice
post #8 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 02:31 PM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

There was never a 4 cylinder with a 3 speed from the factory.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950U mit Tapatalk
post #9 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 03:24 PM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Who is John Galt?

Edit; it’s a book I read years ago on deployment “Atlas Shrugged”, good read.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
JGalt

Who is John Galt?

Is that a rhetorical question?
post #11 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
JGalt

momo2

I have not pressed the owner for more details. She does not seem that familiar with mechanical issues. She is also a 200 mile drive from me so I have not made a commitment yet. She just said it jumped out of 3rd. I may have assumed it was a 3 speed.
post #12 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 PM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

It will be an SR4. 4 speed not known to be very strong. But strong enough for a 4 banger. If I remember correctly mine would jump out of second even under load.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I have not pressed the owner for more details. She does not seem that familiar with mechanical issues. She is also a 200 mile drive from me so I have not made a commitment yet. She just said it jumped out of 3rd. I may have assumed it was a 3 speed.
Curious, and certainly not trying to scoop you on this, but where in MS is it located? I'm over on the MS/AL state line, half way up. If it was close, could potentially put eyes on it for you-

Best,
Hoover

Edit: Any chance the transmission could be a T-176? My 83 CJ8 came with a 4-cyl originally, and had the 176 with 4.10 gearing.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #14 of 26 Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jumping out of 3rd on a 4 speed would not be so bad. My 3rd and top gear on my 1951 CJ pops out, I rarely get up to highway speeds but when I do I just keep my hand on the shifter.

A lightly built 4 banger would be OK, but it does not have the power to handle larger tyres, a hard top, bumpers etc. For pottering around town it is fine an don trails, it is all a question of gearing.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #15 of 26 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
JGalt

It is in Kosciusko. Ernest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in