Locking fuel cap for cj - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschool74cj5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Coldair

Locking fuel cap for cj

Some one tried getting fuel from my jeep pretty sure it was last night my cap is missing and the tang that keeps the fuel from coming out is bent up. Anyone find a good locking fuel cap for a cj?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 10:33 AM
trailhead2004

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldair View Post
Some one tried getting fuel from my jeep pretty sure it was last night my cap is missing and the tang that keeps the fuel from coming out is bent up. Anyone find a good locking fuel cap for a cj?

I just went to my local NAPA and asked them. They looked it up by year and model.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I had one but it wouldn't pass the emission test. It wouldn't fit on the tester. So I got a bye every year with that cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 AM
trailhead2004

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I had one but it wouldn't pass the emission test. It wouldn't fit on the tester. So I got a bye every year with that cap.
Kalifornia was too strict for that. I ended up keeping a non-venting cap in the garage and installing it before smog. The rest of the time I drove around with the vented locking cap.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Another problem with locking caps is if they really want your fuel they will just poke a hole in your tank and drain it that way. Then your really screwed.

Ernie

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Every Loaf of bread is the tragic story of grains that could've become beer but didn't.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 12:13 PM
1985 CJ7 

OMIX 17726.06 Locking Gas Cap

This is the one I use and it has never been an issue and passes smog in CA with flying colors. I have tried others but this one for me worked like a charm.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 12:14 PM
trailhead2004

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smilie View Post
Another problem with locking caps is if they really want your fuel they will just poke a hole in your tank and drain it that way. Then your really screwed.
Absolutely. Any level of security is only as good as the motivation and/or tools of the thief.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Coldair

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Absolutely. Any level of security is only as good as the motivation and/or tools of the thief.

I know but want a deterrent for people so they dont target my jeep as easy. The thing that pisses me off is they threw it somewhere at least could have put it back on. Pretty sure they didnít get any fuel because my gauge is still reading the same as it did yesterday. ( btw I have an aftermarket fuel gauge with a new sending unit )

post #9 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

I installed the STANT 10592. it is a locking cap that also a non venting cap for emissions. i know it holds pressure cause my evap hose from the tank collapsed and wouldnt vent to the canister. it held the pressure till the safety valve in the cap would open and relieve the excess pressure. i bought it for about 10bucks on rock auto. i would stay away from a crown or omix if you can and get a name brand.

oldschool
Coldair likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Coldair

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

I installed the STANT 10592. it is a locking cap that also a non venting cap for emissions. i know it holds pressure cause my evap hose from the tank collapsed and wouldnt vent to the canister. it held the pressure till the safety valve in the cap would open and relieve the excess pressure. i bought it for about 10bucks on rock auto. i would stay away from a crown or omix if you can and get a name brand.

oldschool

I ordered one should be here in the next few days

post #11 of 11 Old 03-03-2020, 06:36 PM
1985 CJ7 

How are you liking the STANT 10592 locking cap? It's time for me to upgrade because I noticed the rubber seal on mine is starting to crack. Also, looks like it was tampered with when I was out of town this last weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in