Lift tire size in terms of actual tire size vs printed size - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Lift tire size in terms of actual tire size vs printed size

I know this topic seems to have been beat to death but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

I'm curious what tire size I can fit under my Jeep considering advertised lift size. If a lift manufacturer says lift is good to 33's are they talking advertised size or actual size? I know there's a hundred variables that determines what size tire is going to fit but lets just assume all things equal.

Right now I'm running 33's but the actual tire size is 31" ...am I right in thinking that a 35" tire would be roughly 33 actual inches? When I jack up one tire at the spring plate until the other tire comes off the ground I feel like I have plenty of room but thought I'd solicit some opinions.

Also, does anyone know what Grimjeeper's site is using to calculate speed/rpm/etc. I'm going to assume actual tire size.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 01:41 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Yes grimm jeeper uses actual tire size. the manufacturer lists actual tire size for most tires, can check on tire rack. now actual tire size per the manufacturer is on a specified wheel width and at max inflated pressure not mounted on a vehicle. fit with lift should be rated on actual tire size, not what is printed on the tire.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 02:27 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

There is a lot more to consider running a 35" tire than just physical clearance..

Is the rest of your drive train and suspension capable of handling them as well?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 02:35 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
you know a 37 aired down to 7psi is only a 33 too............should fit

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Yes grimm jeeper uses actual tire size. the manufacturer lists actual tire size for most tires, can check on tire rack. now actual tire size per the manufacturer is on a specified wheel width and at max inflated pressure not mounted on a vehicle. fit with lift should be rated on actual tire size, not what is printed on the tire.
Good to know...my actual tire size is about 31. Maybe next time i'm up for tires I'll have a 35 tossed on just to see how it fits. My tire guy will love me haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
There is a lot more to consider running a 35" tire than just physical clearance..

Is the rest of your drive train and suspension capable of handling them as well?

Hoss
Well now that is the question for sure. But do you mean a 35 that measures 33 or a true 35" tire . I do have the T5 so there's that to consider. But the rest of my drivetrain should be capable of handling it. I have chromoly axles all the way around, OX lockers, 4:10's, HD steering bracket and brace, custom driveshafts, 6 bolt hub conversion, OME YJ springs, etc... Still need to truss the rear axle but ya know...it's on my list.

The true tire size is what got me thinking about this. Lots of folks say the T5 is okay to 33's if geared properly and not beat the hell out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
you know a 37 aired down to 7psi is only a 33 too............should fit
Rofl...definitely need to get the 37's under there ...was originally thinking would only go to 33's and I may stay there, but after measuring my true tire size for a speedo gear change it got me thinking about all this.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift

Last edited by Techlight; 06-14-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in