Lets talk replacement tail lights. Looking at the quadratech led ones. Any opnions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 04:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I can't think of a reason why you would not be able to just by the relay and 1157 LEDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I can't think of a reason why you would not be able to just by the relay and 1157 LEDs.
Something to try. You know I tried led 1157s tail light bulbs before ,must have been without the relay and it was kinda crazy I think what it was said to be doing was back feeding.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #18 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 12:30 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You are talking about the tail lights right?

I'm seeing similar issues with the front LED lights others are reporting.

post #19 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 12:44 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

does anybody know the part number for relay for an led ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #20 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 12:45 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
You are talking about the tail lights right?

I'm seeing similar issues with the front LED lights others are reporting.
Yes

post #21 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 12:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
does anybody know the part number for relay for an led ?
This is the one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacifi...528934&sr=8-11

post #22 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 01:15 PM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

I like the quadratech versions - and have them on my TJ. For my CJ, I took it a different direction. I like LEDs (a lot) and have switched over everything but the pesky front side markers. I wanted to keep an original-looking lens. I was also rear-ended on my motorcycle for what I think was a poorly designed taillamp that didn't have enough contrast between stop and tail illumination...

I put in what superbrightleds recommends for the 1157 in the tail lamp and there wasn't enough contrast on the stop and signal modes. I decided to modify my taillamps to use the clear backup lens with an amber 1156 as the turn signal, and added two more red LEDs to the stop circuit. Added 2 white LEDs to take the place of the original backup light. I had to separate the stop and signal circuit in order to have stop and signal independent in back. That, fortunately, made it so I had to run a new wire for that circuit, and while I was pulling wires, I pulled a dedicated ground to the lights too.

I like the result, a bit of a pain to fab the socket holders, but it does what I was expecting.

First pic is the socket setup. Arrow electronics had some nice BA9 sockets that pushed into a 5/8 hole (like a grommet) that I used for the 2 backup lights and the 2 extra stop lights. I blacked out the license lens on the passenger side and did the same on the drivers except a narrow strip where there's a white LED strip light for the license plate.

Second pic is the stop light. Third is tail. Fourth is signal. Fifth is backup.

-DO
Attached Thumbnails
sockets.jpg   stop.jpg   tail.jpg   signal.jpg   backup.jpg  

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #23 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 02:11 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I like it, particularly the amber turn signal out the backup light.

If you take it apart and spray the inside with white paint, it would be even brighter.

post #24 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 02:21 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsoncj7 View Post
I like the quadratech versions - and have them on my TJ. For my CJ, I took it a different direction. I like LEDs (a lot) and have switched over everything but the pesky front side markers. I wanted to keep an original-looking lens. I was also rear-ended on my motorcycle for what I think was a poorly designed taillamp that didn't have enough contrast between stop and tail illumination...

I put in what superbrightleds recommends for the 1157 in the tail lamp and there wasn't enough contrast on the stop and signal modes. I decided to modify my taillamps to use the clear backup lens with an amber 1156 as the turn signal, and added two more red LEDs to the stop circuit. Added 2 white LEDs to take the place of the original backup light. I had to separate the stop and signal circuit in order to have stop and signal independent in back. That, fortunately, made it so I had to run a new wire for that circuit, and while I was pulling wires, I pulled a dedicated ground to the lights too.

I like the result, a bit of a pain to fab the socket holders, but it does what I was expecting.

First pic is the socket setup. Arrow electronics had some nice BA9 sockets that pushed into a 5/8 hole (like a grommet) that I used for the 2 backup lights and the 2 extra stop lights. I blacked out the license lens on the passenger side and did the same on the drivers except a narrow strip where there's a white LED strip light for the license plate.

Second pic is the stop light. Third is tail. Fourth is signal. Fifth is backup.

-DO
I hadn't thought of there not being enough contrast . That's good thinking.

post #25 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 PM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

agear - I think the aftermarket lights do a pretty good job of distributing the amperage between tail and stop. It's the single red 1157 LED bulb that just didn't seem like enough. And the amber turn signal certainly will get attention.

John - I remember you mentioning that earlier. Would you go gloss or flat?

I used galvanized Simpson Strong-Tie 90 degree brackets as the source material for the new sockets. Similar gauge to what was there. Just needed to trim and drill.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #26 of 51 Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would go with flat.

When we would try to get a maximum internal reflection in our sensors, we would go with a flat almost powdery finish.

post #27 of 51 Old 10-14-2020, 06:16 AM
steve801
1983 CJ7 

do you have a link for those..?
post #28 of 51 Old 10-14-2020, 06:32 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve801 View Post
do you have a link for those..?
For which?

Many products listed here...

post #29 of 51 Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 AM
steve801
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke51 View Post
I donít know if you want to cut your tub. I purchased round led semi truck taillights that use a rubber grommet in the hole I cut to hold them. No more broken and torn off own taillights.
do you have a link for those??
post #30 of 51 Old 10-14-2020, 10:18 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve801 View Post
do you have a link for those??
Probably should wait for Frankie to answer but these look pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoSmart-Rou...X21Y0W9FHRZTKA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in