Let's Trouble Shoot this 360! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Alright so I took the Jeep out for a little spin last night. I live on top of a hill so I take it downhill a block and then turn around and come back up hill, mind you it's not super steep. So going down hill it ran pretty good. I definitely had more power then I had been getting. Coming up hill was back to the same old stuff. Smaller back fires and surging at times like there's nothing there and then it all of a sudden kicks in for a good rev. My driveway is steep and every time I hit that coming up it almost dies. So that's no good, however, all 8 cylinders were hot so that seems like progress.

I was talking with Hoov last night about it and he said it would be good for me to mention a few more things that I have done with the motor to help you guys diagnose.
-So when I had the 360 originally torn apart I did bring the headers in to get acid dipped. They also replaced all of the valve seals.
-I reused all of the original lifters and made sure they all went back in the same places.
-Oil pressure reads 20-25 at idle.
-Hoov mentioned the exhaust manifolds not being tight could be a reason for the backfires....I agree it's definitely possible that I didn't get them tightened all of the way.
-I do not have a charcoal canister mounted on so the 2 lines on the tank are plugged. Hoov tells me it needs a source to vent so I'm curious what I should hook up to vent the tank but still bypass the canister in the mean time?

I think that should be enough info to get started haha

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Garet, glad you posted. As I also mentioned, the information you'd get from a compression or leak down tester would be *exceptionally* helpful in diagnosing whats occurring in each cylinder as well. Hoping some other good ideas and suggestions come around today-

Hoov
garet.friedrich likes this.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #48 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post

I was talking with Hoov last night about it and he said it would be good for me to mention a few more things that I have done with the motor to help you guys diagnose.
-So when I had the 360 originally torn apart I did bring the headers in to get acid dipped. They also replaced all of the valve seals.
-I reused all of the original lifters and made sure they all went back in the same places.
-Oil pressure reads 20-25 at idle.
-Hoov mentioned the exhaust manifolds not being tight could be a reason for the backfires....I agree it's definitely possible that I didn't get them tightened all of the way.
-I do not have a charcoal canister mounted on so the 2 lines on the tank are plugged. Hoov tells me it needs a source to vent so I'm curious what I should hook up to vent the tank but still bypass the canister in the mean time?

I think that should be enough info to get started haha

For the time being, you can use a plastic lawn mower fuel filter pushed into the end of a piece of fuel line that is zip tied up high in the rear inner fender for your vent line. Normally we will run it a little long and zip tie it to the filler neck vent hose. You can replace the cheap fuel filter will a good vent/rollover valve later on.

I am using this one.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr

Also, it is a bit messy, but you can run the engine with the valve covers off and watch to make sure you are getting even movement out of all of the rockers. Had a BBF that the heads were redone at a machine shop, they broke a screw in rocker mount and replaced it with one that they had on hand thinking it was the same. Heads were a set of 429 D0VE and the stud they put in was too short, didn't notice when putting the motor together and always blew a bit of fuel smoke out of that side, finally ran the motor with the valve covers off and noticed right away that one rocker wasn't moving like the rest.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #49 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

And you mean you hot dipped the heads, not headers- correct?

Hoov

post #50 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
And you mean you hot dipped the heads, not headers- correct?

Hoov
Yes, you are correct! It's still early and I'm pretty tired from stacking 3 racks of small square bales last night. Also, I may or may not have fallen off a moving rack onto a gravel road. That didn't feel good.

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM
HuntinDog
1979 CJ5 

Garet
Back in post #8, I don't see a vacuum line attached to your EGR valve.
This should be a Ported vacuum line.
You probably have it connected, but if you don't this could be a big source of your problem.
Attached Images

post #52 of 136 Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinDog View Post
Garet
Back in post #8, I don't see a vacuum line attached to your EGR valve.
This should be a Ported vacuum line.
You probably have it connected, but if you don't this could be a big source of your problem.
Thanks for pointing that one out. I actually have the EGR valve welded shut on the bottom as a means to cap it off. I had read that this was acceptable to do. Is that not the case?

79 CJ5
post #53 of 136 Old 08-15-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
For the time being, you can use a plastic lawn mower fuel filter pushed into the end of a piece of fuel line that is zip tied up high in the rear inner fender for your vent line. Normally we will run it a little long and zip tie it to the filler neck vent hose. You can replace the cheap fuel filter will a good vent/rollover valve later on.

I am using this one.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr
The plastic lawn mower fuel filter did the trick last night, Fourtrail. She ran with power and firing on all 8 with no back fires or surging. I think my next step is driving it down to the gas station to top the tank off. all smiles over here today
Fourtrail and pedal2themetai like this.

79 CJ5
post #54 of 136 Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Alright so the sage continues guys. I think I'm still having gas issues. Took it around the block last night and it was surging and sputtering. Mind you it still has never ran really well. Passenger side exhaust has a white/bluish color to the exhaust/smoke or whatever you call it. So I believe this means it's running rich right? Another note the last few times ive gone to start it after it has sat it will fire right up and then sputter out. Then when I try it again it takes awhile and I have to keep my foot on the gas. Not sure what you guys can disect from that. I'm assuming my issues are gas/carb related. Any thoughts?

79 CJ5
post #55 of 136 Old 08-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

White/grayish exhaust is usually an indication of coolant burning in the combustion chamber. Black smoke is usually a rich condition. Blue/grey smoke is usually burning oil.

Are the plugs still fouling?

I think it's time for a compression or leak down test.

Matt
thumperjohn151 and Hoover7 like this.

post #56 of 136 Old 08-20-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
White/grayish exhaust is usually an indication of coolant burning in the combustion chamber. Black smoke is usually a rich condition. Blue/grey smoke is usually burning oil.

Are the plugs still fouling?

I think it's time for a compression or leak down test.

Matt
Compression test kit will be here on Thursday. I'll keep you guys posted.

79 CJ5
post #57 of 136 Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 PM
thumperjohn151

1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
Ok so that makes alot of sense. My timing cover reads TDC at the very top so your'e saying I need to work it clockwise further past that where I basically see no degree readings?
no no - When looking down at the timing mark, from the right hand side front of the engine (your 'left' if your leaning over the front), you'll see "TDC" - You want the mark on the harmonic balancer to move to the "LEFT of that to be advancing the timing BTDC - with the VA unplugged from the distributor (and plugged), and at 600-650 RPM, you want to be at 12 Deg. BTDC - the marks on timing cover are in increments of 5 - so 5, 10, 15, etc. (I think there's only 3-4 marks) - I'm still reading through the post, so forgive me if this has been covered...
post #58 of 136 Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperjohn151 View Post
no no - When looking down at the timing mark, from the right hand side front of the engine (your 'left' if your leaning over the front), you'll see "TDC" - You want the mark on the harmonic balancer to move to the "LEFT of that to be advancing the timing BTDC - with the VA unplugged from the distributor (and plugged), and at 600-650 RPM, you want to be at 12 Deg. BTDC - the marks on timing cover are in increments of 5 - so 5, 10, 15, etc. (I think there's only 3-4 marks) - I'm still reading through the post, so forgive me if this has been covered...
We got that issue sorted out, but you are absolutely correct that what I had said was wrong haha. Appreciate you looking into the thread and providing input!

As for the compression test....I have the tester but have not had time to use it yet. Hopefully this week.

79 CJ5
post #59 of 136 Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

post #60 of 136 Old 08-28-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Alright so I ran the compression test last night. Let's just say it didn't start out or even end well. I first noticed this sitting under my Jeep.
8c.jpg
Which is suspicious because I last rolled my Jeep into its current spot so it wasn't even driven. But this looks to be oil and coolant. To confirm I checked under on the oil pan by the rear main seal and found this.
8b.jpg
Oil and coolant mixed and dripping.
Next thing I did was pull all of the spark plugs (except 7 as that was my problem plug) These were brand new and now are scorched.
8a.jpg
I started testing each cylinder and that was pretty bad. 1 was at 75, 3 was at 75, 5 was at 90. Other side 2 was at 75, 4 was at 85, 6 and 8 I didn't do as the results were very gloom thus far.
It should be worth noting that I did have some coolant pooling up on the front of the intake manifold. I was originally planning on tearing into and getting the heads off but after talking to Hoov on the phone he convinced me to wait and get a second opinion from you guys on here. It's looking bleek but what do you guys think?

79 CJ5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in