Let's Trouble Shoot this 360! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 136 Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What's the history on this engine? Recently rebuilt, or used with a cosmetic face-lift?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 136 Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Watching this closely, Garet. Totally bummed about the stripped spark plug threads, and hope the helicoil method works successfully. And glad you got the e-choke configured. Def need some air to mix with all that fuel!

Matt, you mentioned above that baseline timing could be set as advanced as 16* BTDC (high altitude situation), and recall that adding vacuum keeps timing advanced at idle, or low load, and then as load/speed increases (less manifold vac), mechanical advance begins to kick in. From my tests on the 258, I measured advance as high as 35-40* @2800 rpms. Would this amount of advance (roughly) be similar on the 360 (or other V8's)? Apologies for the derail-

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #33 of 136 Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoov,

In my experience, yes, these old engines can take 35-40 total advance with no problem (centrifugal and initial).

Matt

post #34 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So good news and bad news. Good news is I was able to avoid going the helicoil route. I was able to get a small crescent wrench on the spark plug and slowly work it through the bad threads and into some good threads. Also, I might note I applied a sparing amount of anti seize to the threads as per a tip from a coworker. He's a bitter old engineer so it seemed like a reliable tip haha. The bad news is as I was pulling dist wires to check plugs a few of them started coming apart. I would pull the rubber boot and the entire inner workings would still be latched on the plug. At this point I called it quits. I will be buying new wires today. Just Empty Every Pocket!

79 CJ5
post #35 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
What's the history on this engine? Recently rebuilt, or used with a cosmetic face-lift?

Matt
Used with a cosmetic face lift. Gaskets were replaced and it was opened up and inspected.

79 CJ5
post #36 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

I've had the same thing happen with new plug wires, it's frustrating, and have zero confidence in reusing them. As added insurance for continuity on your new plug wires, you might consider applying a small amount of dialectic grease to each spark plug when you reconnect the boot and clip. Would be a good idea to do the same to each terminal on the distributor as well. Although using too much can make a greasy mess (use sparingly), it will form a barrier to moisture, prevent corrosion down the line and help ensure a solid electrical connection. Plus, in my opinion, makes removing plug wires later a bit easier. Pretty handy stuff, and use it on all my electrical connections (fuses, wire connectors, light bulb bases, etc).

Hoov

post #37 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
I will be buying new wires today. Just Empty Every Pocket!
HI,??? IN POST #30 YOU SAY THE DISTRIBUTOR AND WIRES ARE NEW?????

Whats up with that Don't mean to be disrespectful but are you pulling a troll with you. this just sounds FISHY.. as well as some of the other stuff he has said??
post #38 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post

Whats up with that Don't mean to be disrespectful but are you pulling a troll with you. this just sounds FISHY.. as well as some of the other stuff he has said??
Whoa, easy, Tim. I've had brand new plug wires come apart, and other 'new' items not function out of the box. If the plugs aren't firing, addressing that is the first step in getting the engine running correctly. So far, the engine has run (albeit poorly), rich condition diagnosed, e-choke wired correctly, and now trying to identify why all the plugs aren't firing.

I'm hopeful that you could provide more constructive and helpful comments, and, like others here, would be interested to hear them.

Best,
Hoover
garet.friedrich likes this.

post #39 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post

No trolling here....

The HEI distributor and wires are new. As I mentioned in my post they are now pulling apart. So now I don't trust any of the others as they could be just as faulty. So I will be buying new....again.

I feel like my situation has been way to detailed to be a "trolling". Furthermore, I don't know what an individual would gain by even trying to conjure up such an elaborate "troll" job. I have an entire build thread in my signature that should give you a full background on what I have done with this Jeep so far.

Plus, I respect these guys on the forum way to much to try and be deceitful. These are some awesome dudes that go out of their way to give back to the Jeep community. In my opinion, they are what makes the Jeep brand what it is today.

Lastly...........I just want my Jeep to run, dude.

79 CJ5
post #40 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Well get it running, brother.

Ill second the dialectic grease on the plugs. You also may consider the build-your-own spark plug wires. That way you can be assured of their quality.

Matt
garet.friedrich likes this.
post #41 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So over my noon hour I ran and bought new plug wires and threw them on. I took a quick video for scientific purposes. The video is actually of the second start up. The first one fired right off but the one here was sluggish and took a little bit to get going it felt like to me.
Afterwards I tried the water test again and every cylinder was hot except for 1&4. 4 was pretty warm though.

79 CJ5
post #42 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Hold your hand over the exhaust when it is running and see you you get a rhythmic suck back in on your hand. That tick sounds an awful lot like a lifter tick and you may have a burnt valve that isn't closing fully and you are low on compression on a couple of cylinders. Also I don't remember, but did you run a compression test on this motor?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #43 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Hold your hand over the exhaust when it is running and see you you get a rhythmic suck back in on your hand. That tick sounds an awful lot like a lifter tick and you may have a burnt valve that isn't closing fully and you are low on compression on a couple of cylinders. Also I don't remember, but did you run a compression test on this motor?
I will try that exhaust trick next. And no I did not do a compression test on this motor after i had it reassembled.

79 CJ5
post #44 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Might be time to check that on the couple of cylinders that are cold. Also is it now 1 and 4? Wasn't it 1 and 2 earlier?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #45 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Might be time to check that on the couple of cylinders that are cold. Also is it now 1 and 4? Wasn't it 1 and 2 earlier?
Yup that is correct. 2 was firing after a new spark plug. I'm not sure why 4 has changed all of a sudden.

79 CJ5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in