• 1 Post By BagusJeep
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss
  • 1 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-03-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Length of a CJ7

My CJ7 with stock bumper and stock tire carrier is getting painted and I need to order a shed for it to fit in. Can someone measure their CJ7 overall length including the tire on the carrier to the front bumper please?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-03-2020, 07:15 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Length 153.2" (stock tyre mounted as spare, need to add a bit if your 33" tyres are wider, say another 1")
Width 65.3" with stock mirrrors
Height 71.9" with soft top (tallest) and standard suspension and tyres etc (you have shackles and 33" tyres so maybe add 3 1/2")

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 12 Old 08-04-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Thank you so much!!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Need to reopen this discussion. Anyone have experience parking two CJ7's side by side in a 14' wide storage/garage shed? Or, how much room do you need side by side to park and maneuver a bit and also back them out one at a time. I was originally planning on doing a 12' X 36' shed and park them in single file. This assumes they are ~14' long and a couple feet to move between them and in front and back of the column. So 2 jeeps x 14' = 28'. 2 ft in front, middle and end is another 6". So, 28'+6"= 34'. But I am wondering if I can drive them in through a 14' X 24' with a 9' wide garage opening and park them side by side. The extra length for maneuvering. These are frame 8" on center with 3/4 Plywood. Is that way too much wight side to side? Either situation is not ideal , but need to protect them from the elements. Really appreciate any thoughts. And, I am limited on my property and need to keep the size of the shed to a no more than 14 x 36 due to the area it needs to go in.

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2020, 10:11 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Not sure where your 9' door is. Presume it is on the short end? Also is it 14' clear space insode or is that the outside measurement (i.e. 14'-8"-8"-1"-1" = 12' 6")

5'6" wide WITH MIRRORS EXTENDED so at 14' you have enough space to put them in and leave about a total of 3' around them, little more if you bend the mirrors in. Not ideal as you need to get into them to back them out BUT DOABLE.

if you actually only have 12'6" clear width it is going to be real tight, you will need gymnastic classes. You will only really have 2" to 3" clearance at the sides if you want to have a gap in the middle to get in and out.

I had limited garage space, which is why I built a new carport to keep them under. I have scratched them so many times in confined spaces putting them back and forth and sliding between them.

I suggest you back in, so much easier to get them in the right spot. Put them both tight against the side walls, leave the largest gap in the middle. You can then exit the vehicle through the middle.

Unless you are plus size a gap of 1' is sufficient in the middle, the doors are not on the edge of the Jeep.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

The 14' is the outside dimension. I think I can safely assume a loss of 4" on both sides so inside dimension on 16OC framed 2X4 construction would be 13'4". and yes, the Garage door would be on the 14' end with a couple of feet on either side framed. This is not the shed I am thinking about but its a 14 x 20 and shows the garage door in the right placement: https://www.storageshedspa.com/sheds...ape-cod-garage. Its a good tip to back it in too!

So, at 5'6" per jeep = 11', and a total width of 13'4" that only gives 16 inches of excess... '
Wonder if the 8" on Center 2x4 framing would be strong enought to support two jeeps side by side.

My other choice is 12 X 36 shed. Where I put them in single file and have a bit more room on the sides and front/back

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2020, 02:50 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Great looking shed!

Maths can be a pain but 13' 6" - 11' = 2' 6" = 30 inches of space, more if you fold the mirrors.

You will have enough width if you are real careful about reversing them in. I would check the framing measurement for clear space before ordering.

I see you are thinking of timber floors. A CJ7 weighs 2700lbs roughly (depends a lot......), so that is say 700 lbs on a wheel with a contact patch about the size of a book. Maybe you want to start a new thread "Anyone park their CJ7 on a timber floor?". I can see it working with a plank or 3/4" ply sheet under each wheel but the framing is quite small unless it is fully supported.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2020, 02:58 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is the home I made for mine to get them far apart, 2 Jeeps per bay. Unfortunately something else got parked in the area for the J20 so it now sits at an angle across the corner. i am going to add bamboo curtains at the front to keep the sun off but there is space for about 10, just need to feed my hobby a bit further!!!

The posts were around 16' apart.

The old garages are being used as workshops but eventually the community will build a road around the back of my house so there will be a new gate on the right and all vehicles can move here, freeing up the garages for redevelopment.
Attached Images

Jim1611 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2020, 12:52 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Any way you can get a wider door? Like 10'? That will make a big difference getting in/ out

I think you are going to really going to have to work to get them in safely, (JMHO)

Couple things I did when I built my second garage at the back of house; use an inverted line spray marking paint (like green or white) and lay out your shape/ size. Grab a few card board boxes and put them at the tight corners, like door edges and sides next to outside edge of jeep. (Or if you currently have a garage, use one side as is, , and do the same with carboard boxes to mark the size and try it in there

Now drive both jeeps in and see how you do and what you think!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2020, 02:11 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Another thought; I like the idea of a 12'x36' shed, because even though you'd have to remove one to get to the other, you could also 'partition' off an end or section to work/ store and still have room! Squeezing past/ around a vehicle in a shop get real old, real quick; and I've never heard anyone complain about having too much shop space.(Again JMHO)

To summarize: while I technically fit in a L tee-shirt; I'm MUCH more comfortable in a 2XL

Hoss
Jim1611 likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #11 of 12 Old 08-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Any way you can get a wider door? Like 10'? That will make a big difference getting in/ out

I think you are going to really going to have to work to get them in safely, (JMHO)

Couple things I did when I built my second garage at the back of house; use an inverted line spray marking paint (like green or white) and lay out your shape/ size. Grab a few card board boxes and put them at the tight corners, like door edges and sides next to outside edge of jeep. (Or if you currently have a garage, use one side as is, , and do the same with carboard boxes to mark the size and try it in there

Now drive both jeeps in and see how you do and what you think!

Hoss
I worked at a dealership that was building a new facility. They passed the blue print around to employees for critique and potential issues. A couple of techs immediately recognized that extended cab long box trucks for instance would never be able to make the swing to get on a hoist. Out came the paint, measuring tools, and portable obstacles in an empty parking lot to prove the point. It removes all doubt if it can be done.
JoonHoss likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

I think I have the weight thing worked out. The shed company builds the floors with 2 x 4's 8" on center. I was worried about the weight via the span, but those 2x4's rest on 4x4's running peprindicula and they are less than three feet apart. So I think we are good. I dont have much options on enlarging the garage door opening with the shed place, but I have a builder of sheds coming out today and if for some reason he comes in at or less than the price I got at the shed place, I think I will go with a 14' x 36" and we can talk about additional door openings. the 14 wide instead of 12' will allow me to move the jeeps around a bit for additional storage. I can either move them by parking them side to side or put them on wheel dollies. Then I would have roughly 20 feet for other crap like outdoor chairs and tables and fenders and windshields and.... My jeeps come off the road from Nov to about May until the salt gets washed away and the weather is a bit warmer. These are no tops no door jeeps.

Bagus - that is such a nice set up to keep the herd in. and you have a great herd as well!

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in