LED tail light Help - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtboy4life72!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
dirtboy4life72!

LED tail light Help

I have an 83 CJ7 and just installed LED tail lights I got from EBAY but ran into a problem after install. The issues is that when i turn on my parking lights the brake and turn lights wont work. I tested all wires before install to ensure they were wired correctly and i have changed out the flasher fuse as well. Anyone had this issue before.

Last edited by dirtboy4life72!; 09-19-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

With the flasher, you may not have the right ones for LEDs.

Got to figure out the brake problem also.

I had a problem with the front fender light acting as a short keeping the flashers from working but should not effect the brake light unless you had the TS and the brake on at the same time.

So do they not come on or are on all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
dirtboy4life72!

They will come on if the parking lights are off. When the parking lights are off everything works like it should. I just ordered a new flasher that is supposed to work with any combo of reg lights and LED's. I also had the front marker lights with a bad ground but fixed that as well. I had orginally got a flasher from my local parts store that they said would work with both LED and Reg lights and it did with just my LED headlights but when I installed my rear LED lights the new issue started. Hope the new flasher fixes the current issue. Thanks

post #4 of 8 Old 09-20-2020, 07:03 AM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtboy4life72! View Post
I had orginally got a flasher from my local parts store that they said would work with both LED and Reg lights and it did with just my LED headlights
Headlights don’t use the flasher. Switching to led taillights was your first test of the flasher, so maybe the flasher didn’t work as promised.

If it’s of any help, I recently changed all of my lights to led; headlights, taillights, parking lights, and front and rear side markers. With the stock flasher, they didn’t flash correctly. With an electronic flasher, everything works perfect. This is the electronic flasher that I used...

Electronic flasher = United Pacific 90652 (it comes with a reverse polarity base, you may or may not need it, I didn’t, but it’s only a dollar more, so you may as well get it so you have it if you do need it. If you want to wing it and save a dollar the part number without the base is United Pacific 90650)

I should also say that it sounds possible that the taillights are wired incorrectly, or maybe wired correctly but an aged wired broke or something during installation. The problem is not clear, and from the information that has been provided, it does not sound like it is a flasher problem (only a problem when the turn signal is on). It sounds like maybe it is a problem when the turn signal is off.

My thought is that maybe you crossed the low light (that is on when parking lights or headlights are on) and the brake light. If this was the case, when your parking lights are off, everything will appear to work, but it will be the low light. When your parking lights are on, the (brighter) brake lights will be activated, so when you use the brakes the (dimmer) low lights will be activated, but you can’t see them, because the brighter lights are already on.

Just an idea, with the information given so far.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2020, 07:11 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

What wire colors are there, and what color do you have for each circuit?

Maybe you have turn/brake and tail wires switched? Mounting bolts grounded?

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300 TerraLow 4:1 kit, '86 D30/D44 3.54 WT axles w/Aussies, 'glass body, 33x12.5 ProComp A/T, TDK galv'd frame, 2.5 OME YJ lift - DD and weekend toy

post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2020, 09:35 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbarker View Post

Electronic flasher = United Pacific 90652 (it comes with a reverse polarity base, you may or may not need it, I didn’t, but it’s only a dollar more, so you may as well get it so you have it if you do need it. If you want to wing it and save a dollar the part number without the base is United Pacific 90650)

This is the flasher I'm using and oddly, I had to use the polarity base. But that doesnt matter.

What does matter is that it gives a perfect flash rate when using LED's.
Without it, my flash rate was something like one flash every 5 seconds.

Also, you should swap all lights to LEDs. so don't forget those nasty little front fender markers.
Actually, I would leave them out while troule shooting. Then when everything is working, plug them back in.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
dirtboy4life72!

The wires on the new LED's are red, white, green and black. I tested each wire before install to ensure what each one did since they came with no instructions on wiring so im pertty sure they are wired correctly. I'm going to replace the rest of my lights with LED's and I ordered a new Flasher so we will see if that fixes the issues. I do need to trace all old wiring to see if there may be a break or issue there since this is an project jeep and has been sitting for a few year.
Cutlass327 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Ok.

White is ground, green is reverse, black is marker, red is brake.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300 TerraLow 4:1 kit, '86 D30/D44 3.54 WT axles w/Aussies, 'glass body, 33x12.5 ProComp A/T, TDK galv'd frame, 2.5 OME YJ lift - DD and weekend toy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in