LED Dash Lights - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 100 Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PottsyCJ5 View Post
Thanks for trying to help Dave. What is the brake light indicator? Or maybe you are referring to a parking brake indicator on the speedometer?
This. There is a red indicator in the speedo for BRAKE. On when the parking brake is pushed in (a cheapo contact on the top of the pedal), or when triggered by a failure in the brake system (unequal pressure in the combo valve I think).

Opposite side is yellow, only used for Quadratrac. I don't have it, so there's an unused two pin connector in the engine bay a few inches from the bulkhead connector.

Find a wiring diagram for your year, it will help a lot in repairing a PO's "improvements".

PottsyCJ5 likes this.

"You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 100 Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliancenp View Post
Well I decided after this amazing mod, I would try to make the speedometer lights brighter. I put in the led bulbs but it was still so dim on mine. I also wanted it to glow red since that is the accent color of my car. To do this I wanted the lights to still be dimmable and I wanted the speedometer to be very bright if needed. I decided to go back to superbrightleds.com since doing the first modification with them went very well (I bought a dimmable, weatherproof light strip from superbrightleds.com)
Does it dim smoothly or cut off at one point?

Other than that. It looks good.
Also tell us the part numbers when you get a chance.

I'm trying to figure out how they get those pointer needles illuminated on speedometers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #48 of 100 Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I'm trying to figure out how they get those pointer needles illuminated on speedometers.
Florescent paint and a few UV leds?

post #49 of 100 Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 PM
PottsyCJ5

1975 CJ5 

Thanks John and Dave, those are some good leads and give me a place to start.

I do have working turn signals all around. But when I hit the brake pedal and the brake pedal switch closes the left turn signal indicator comes on, on the speedometer, AND the front turn signal lights come on but steady. So somehow the brake light circuit is crossed with the left side turn signal circuit but bypassing the turn signal relay because they donít blink when activated by the brake pedal. Everything blinks normally when I use the turn signal switch on the steering column. Itís really bizarre. I hope thatís more clear and I appreciate you trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #50 of 100 Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 PM
brilliancenp
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Does it dim smoothly or cut off at one point?

Other than that. It looks good.
Also tell us the part numbers when you get a chance.

Well it dims smoothly to a point but then cuts off promptly, BUT all of my dash lights do that so it may be my dimmer switch. The part number for the light strip on superbrightleds .com is WFLS-R60-BK. It comes in a ton of colors and 3 different lengths. The one I bought was a bit over 3 ft so I had enough if I screwed one up, which I did lol.
post #51 of 100 Old 04-19-2018, 03:46 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PottsyCJ5 View Post
Thanks John and Dave, those are some good leads and give me a place to start.

I do have working turn signals all around. But when I hit the brake pedal and the brake pedal switch closes the left turn signal indicator comes on, on the speedometer, AND the front turn signal lights come on but steady. So somehow the brake light circuit is crossed with the left side turn signal circuit but bypassing the turn signal relay because they don’t blink when activated by the brake pedal. Everything blinks normally when I use the turn signal switch on the steering column. It’s really bizarre. I hope that’s more clear and I appreciate you trying to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only place they meet is inside the turn signal switch.

Does it continue to blink when both the turn signal is activated and the brakes applied or does it remain steady?

If it blinks then the PO tied the front turn signal to the rear turn signal circuit.
If it goes steady then there is a short in your turn signal switch.

post #52 of 100 Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

You won't get smooth dimming of leds with a variable resistor which is what's in the dash dimmer.
Regular incandescent bulbs are voltage driven, more voltage = more heat = more light.
LEDs are current driven. Above the point where the led turns on, increasing the voltage only kills the led faster. Most dimming of leds is done via a method called PWM - pulse width modulation. Essentially, you turn the led off and on at full voltage, but vary the length of "on" time. The pulse is faster than your eye can see, so you don't notice a flicker, just more or less light.

To properly light an led, you need a constant current source. There are lots of chips to do this now, some even provide PWM functions. I've got a circuit in the back of my head to take the dash control, feed it to a microcontroller, and PWM the illumination leds. I'll get to it right after I can buy some free time at Amazon.

post #53 of 100 Old 04-19-2018, 06:38 AM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

This board will take a voltage from the dimmer and PWM all of the leds:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...okup-guide-v12

You'd need a few extra parts (two resistors) to set the control voltage to the right range. Your dimmer is 0 to 12V, the board wants .5 to 2.5V.

post #54 of 100 Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMueller View Post
You won't get smooth dimming of leds with a variable resistor which is what's in the dash dimmer.
Regular incandescent bulbs are voltage driven, more voltage = more heat = more light.
LEDs are current driven. Above the point where the led turns on, increasing the voltage only kills the led faster. Most dimming of leds is done via a method called PWM - pulse width modulation. Essentially, you turn the led off and on at full voltage, but vary the length of "on" time. The pulse is faster than your eye can see, so you don't notice a flicker, just more or less light.

To properly light an led, you need a constant current source. There are lots of chips to do this now, some even provide PWM functions. I've got a circuit in the back of my head to take the dash control, feed it to a microcontroller, and PWM the illumination leds. I'll get to it right after I can buy some free time at Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMueller View Post
This board will take a voltage from the dimmer and PWM all of the leds:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...okup-guide-v12

You'd need a few extra parts (two resistors) to set the control voltage to the right range. Your dimmer is 0 to 12V, the board wants .5 to 2.5V.
Interesting,
Does the analog voltage (0V to 12V) in actually control the PWM going to the LED or is the aurduino actually supplying the PWM signal to the board? Hey, what's wrong tieing up another GPIO pin anyway.

I don't think I'd use a Aurduino R3 maybe a Feather with a ESP8266 or an Adafruit Flora. They are much smaller. Maybe even a 555 timer.

I got ESP8266 controlling a 3.5" TFT and I'm controlling the display brightness (LED) with a PWM off one of the pins now. Was going to use the TFT display as an analog gauge. Complete with datalogging.

I also got a Raspberry Pi but wow. That's needs a lot of time I don't have at the moment.

post #55 of 100 Old 04-20-2018, 11:15 AM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Interesting,
Does the analog voltage (0V to 12V) in actually control the PWM going to the LED or is the aurduino actually supplying the PWM signal to the board? Hey, what's wrong tieing up another GPIO pin anyway.

I don't think I'd use a Aurduino R3 maybe a Feather with a ESP8266 or an Adafruit Flora. They are much smaller. Maybe even a 555 timer.

I got ESP8266 controlling a 3.5" TFT and I'm controlling the display brightness (LED) with a PWM off one of the pins now. Was going to use the TFT display as an analog gauge. Complete with datalogging.

I also got a Raspberry Pi but wow. That's needs a lot of time I don't have at the moment.
The Femtobuck board is standalone, +V in, Ground, + Out to the leds. The dimming is optional. It would be overkill to put it in a vehicle just to drive the leds properly when 12V leds are so common now. Dimming can be either 0 to 2.5V analog, or PWM from something like an Arduino.

I don't know how it would work with the 12V leds, I'm not sure if they simply have a dropping resistor in the package like you would normally do. Ideally, you'd have a few strings of series connected leds in parallel. You're fighting the need for a few volts above the led voltage vs the relatively low 12V from the car. A standard red led is about 2V, so you could connect maybe 4 in series.

Straight PWM of the 12V going to the packaged bulbs would be easiest I think. You don't need a full Arduino, just a compatible Atmega chip that you could program with the IDE then dead bug it into an Altoids tin. I think one of the 8 pin chips should have one analog pin in for control voltage, and another pin for PWM out to a fet driving the 12V line to the bulbs. That would work with regular bulbs too, not just leds.

I have a Femtobuck and my dash just happens to be in the basement full of leds, maybe I'll give it a shot this week.

post #56 of 100 Old 09-16-2018, 11:45 PM
Medic8852

Garage
Thumbs up

Love this write up. Thank you.
post #57 of 100 Old 11-15-2019, 12:47 PM
rmhuffster
1985 CJ7 

Great post Gary!!
post #58 of 100 Old 01-05-2020, 03:47 PM
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Has anyone done red with the OPs setup? I loved the red of my Audi and would like to replicate it. Also, I have AC, is that gonna make the swap a pain in the ***??

I would need the following:
6 12v red led lights for the controls
4 red BA9S bulbs for clock, tach, battery, oil
3 red BA9S for speedo
2 green BA9S for blinkers
1 Red BA9S for brake
1 Blue BA9S for brights
1 orange BA9S for 4x4

Would that do the trick? Did I misread the setup?

PNW Represent
post #59 of 100 Old 01-05-2020, 04:18 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Does anyone have the part numbers for the speedo, volt, and oil pressure gauges? I'd love to order these up today.

I want my two dollars!
post #60 of 100 Old 01-05-2020, 06:29 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupoffmefoo View Post
Does anyone have the part numbers for the speedo, volt, and oil pressure gauges? I'd love to order these up today.
"Better off dead" was a classic!
backupoffmefoo likes this.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in