LED Dash Lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 100 Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 AM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

I am considering doing this upgrade and have a question on the lights in the speedometer housing. All of the stock lights were white and turned color by the colored filter in the housing. Has anyone compared for example using a white led bulb in the socket for the blue high beam indicator versus a blue led in the same spot? I would think white in blue would be brighter than blue in blue?

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 100 Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Couple of things...

If you haven't used LEDs for this before, you should know that they can be very intense. If you use a bright white LED behind a colored lens or filter, you might have white "bleeding through" which wouldn't look too good. Most sites recommend that you use whatever color is desired, i.e. green for turn signals, blue for high beams, red for tail lights, and so on.

One potential pitfall of sites like SBL is that not only are the bulbs available in many shades and colors, but levels of brightness.
I noticed that 1156 bulbs, for example, can vary from 85 to 220 lumens, and the BA9S from 3 to 145!
So I looked up the lumens for the incandescent bulbs we use, and used that to pick out my LED replacements.
(For your convenience: Link)

Also, the LED bulbs come with various amounts of dispersal. I got directional bulbs for the indicators such as turn signals and high beams, but got the widest for general illumination.
NOTE: The holes behind the 4WD and Brake indicator areas do not line up exactly - if you get directional for those, they will only be about half covered by the light.

Finally, the direct-wired LEDs have tiny, delicate wires that will - not might - break if disturbed by say, your hand reaching behind the dash.
Does anybody have a more robust alternative to these?
(part# LW-W-12VDC-K)

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire
post #18 of 100 Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Forgot to add that I found this 1156 alternative (1156-W2W-ARA), which works really well when illumination needs to be directional like under the hood or for interior/dome light:

~ Voltaire

post #19 of 100 Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
The Ba9s from led lighting are actually pretty fragile. Ive twisted the top off like 3. Just to let you guys know
The ones I got from SuperBright were plenty sturdy. I wound up with a few different types for different applications, and had no problems with any of them.

It was the pre-wired ones that were the source of my pain because the wires are so delicate.

If anybody knows of a more sturdy alternative for doing the panel indicator lights I'd sure like to hear about it.

~ Voltaire
post #20 of 100 Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Awesome upgrade, thanks for posting!

As far as the incandescent bulbs in the speedo, are they all 1156 that are shown in your link? So I can compare the lumens with the LED's?

I know the dash indicators have to be rewired, but are the speedo ones just the bulb that goes into the original socket?

You mention having to order the directional and "flood" for different spots in the speedometer, but did you use the same lumens for all the LED's in the speedo?
post #21 of 100 Old 08-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

No, hang on a minute. 1156 are steady such as back-up lights, 1157 are for things that blink light tail lights and front running lights/turn signals.
Side markers are 194. Courtesy lights are 89 (apparently no longer made and are 67).

There are at least two different kinds of bulbs in the speedo cluster, depending on whether it's narrow beam like a turn signal or general illumination (cluster lighting, brake warning etc.)
In the wild and wonderful world of LED upgrades, that translates into varieties of BA9s "bulbs" with varying beam angles.

Well, in for a penny... I'll just list what I used and you guys can start from there.
(Your mileage may vary, but this is what I used.)

Starting with the speedo:

General illumination (4) 180° Dispersion Warm White BA9SF-WW-12VAC (NOTE: number varies with year)
Brake warning indicator (1) 180° Dispersion Red BA9SF-R-12VAC
4WD engaged indicator (1) 180° Dispersion Amber BA9SF-A-12VAC
High beam indicator (1) 32° Dispersion Blue BA9S-B4-32-12VAC
Turn signal indicators (2) 32° Dispersion Green BA9S-G4-32-12VAC

Front marker/turn signal (2) 1157-A1W-G
Side marker/turn signal (2) WLED-A5
Tail/brake/turn signal (2) 1157-W30-WV 180° Dispersion White (Why not red? License plate illumination comes from left tail light bulb.)
Back-up lights (2) 1156-CW1W-G White

If you do your turn signals, you will need a low-resistance turn signal flasher relay: CF12ANL-01. This one is the two-prong type that works on my '83 - verify your type before ordering.

And to complete the set, your under-dash courtesy lights: (2) 67-W15 to replace the type 89s that are apparently no longer made.

All the other ones are straight plug-in replacements.
If you want to do your panel indicator lights (fan, defrost, vent, temp) it's a little more of a project, but not much.

Pre-wired LEDs to replace the incandescent bulbs in the housings: (4) LW-W-12VDC-K. I drilled my holes a tad too big and they kept falling out, so I just used a glue gun.
These little things have very delicate wires. You can do them all separately like Gary did above, but I wired mine in parallel - just solder all the positives (red wire w/resistor) to one connector and all the negatives (black wire) to one pair of connectors.
(If you think that through, you'll realize you have to pass each bulb through the cut-out in the dash before attaching to the housing.)
They draw so little current it doesn't matter, and it will save a ton of fiddly work. Might be worthwhile to order a couple of extras because you're likely to kill one or two figuring things out.

That's all I can think of at the moment; if I left anything out feel free to ask.
This does cost a little bit, but sure does look great and the LEDs should last a very long time.

Here's what the speedo bulbs look like, to avoid confusion.
The directional ones will be the appropriate color; the wide ones will have a band around the base to indicate the color.

Directional at left, Wide at right

robblue6412 and Rkuehljr like this.

~ Voltaire
post #22 of 100 Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

Great man, thank you! I'll order some lights this weekend.
post #23 of 100 Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great write and info!
post #24 of 100 Old 09-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Dborns
1984 CJ7 

I got the bulbs today and got them installed. What a difference!! I did the speedo cluster and oil pressure gauge, and it looks great.

I ordered from Superbrightleds.com and got the package in three days. The only negative I noticed is the speedo illumination lights. There isn't much of an improvement but that could be due to issues on the inside of the case. The other lights are really bright and look great!

Thanks for the write up.
post #25 of 100 Old 09-06-2015, 09:50 AM
FrontierGander
1973 CJ5 

just did the same thing on my 73. Huge difference, especially on the aftermarket water/oil/volt gauges. Still have to work on the speedo lights as they are horrible.
post #26 of 100 Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Garyr2138

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
No, hang on a minute. 1156 are steady such as back-up lights, 1157 are for things that blink light tail lights and front running lights/turn signals.
Side markers are 194. Courtesy lights are 89 (apparently no longer made and are 67).

There are at least two different kinds of bulbs in the speedo cluster, depending on whether it's narrow beam like a turn signal or general illumination (cluster lighting, brake warning etc.)
In the wild and wonderful world of LED upgrades, that translates into varieties of BA9s "bulbs" with varying beam angles.

Well, in for a penny... I'll just list what I used and you guys can start from there.
(Your mileage may vary, but this is what I used.)

Starting with the speedo:

General illumination (4) 180° Dispersion Warm White BA9SF-WW-12VAC (NOTE: number varies with year)
Brake warning indicator (1) 180° Dispersion Red BA9SF-R-12VAC
4WD engaged indicator (1) 180° Dispersion Amber BA9SF-A-12VAC
High beam indicator (1) 32° Dispersion Blue BA9S-B4-32-12VAC
Turn signal indicators (2) 32° Dispersion Green BA9S-G4-32-12VAC

Front marker/turn signal (2) 1157-A1W-G
Side marker/turn signal (2) WLED-A5
Tail/brake/turn signal (2) 1157-W30-WV 180° Dispersion White (Why not red? License plate illumination comes from left tail light bulb.)
Back-up lights (2) 1156-CW1W-G White

If you do your turn signals, you will need a low-resistance turn signal flasher relay: CF12ANL-01. This one is the two-prong type that works on my '83 - verify your type before ordering.

And to complete the set, your under-dash courtesy lights: (2) 67-W15 to replace the type 89s that are apparently no longer made.

All the other ones are straight plug-in replacements.
If you want to do your panel indicator lights (fan, defrost, vent, temp) it's a little more of a project, but not much.

Pre-wired LEDs to replace the incandescent bulbs in the housings: (4) LW-W-12VDC-K. I drilled my holes a tad too big and they kept falling out, so I just used a glue gun.
These little things have very delicate wires. You can do them all separately like Gary did above, but I wired mine in parallel - just solder all the positives (red wire w/resistor) to one connector and all the negatives (black wire) to one pair of connectors.
(If you think that through, you'll realize you have to pass each bulb through the cut-out in the dash before attaching to the housing.)
They draw so little current it doesn't matter, and it will save a ton of fiddly work. Might be worthwhile to order a couple of extras because you're likely to kill one or two figuring things out.

That's all I can think of at the moment; if I left anything out feel free to ask.
This does cost a little bit, but sure does look great and the LEDs should last a very long time.

Here's what the speedo bulbs look like, to avoid confusion.
The directional ones will be the appropriate color; the wide ones will have a band around the base to indicate the color.

Directional at left, Wide at right

Colt, thanks for that detailed info! I am sure it will be helpful to those who come across this thread. I didn't put that much thought into mine when I did it, kind of just went for it.

O||||||O

Year: 83 CJ7
Engine: 258, Nutter Bypass & Team Rush
Trans: T5
Front: Dana30 G2 4.10s gears
Rear: AMC20 G2 4.10 gears G2 1-piece axle
Tires: BF Goodrich T/A 33" 10.5 R15
post #27 of 100 Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Garyr2138

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
I got the bulbs today and got them installed. What a difference!! I did the speedo cluster and oil pressure gauge, and it looks great.

I ordered from Superbrightleds.com and got the package in three days. The only negative I noticed is the speedo illumination lights. There isn't much of an improvement but that could be due to issues on the inside of the case. The other lights are really bright and look great!

Thanks for the write up.
Agreed that the overall speedo could use more light bit overall I love the difference in mine. Especially all the dash indicators I changed.

O||||||O

Year: 83 CJ7
Engine: 258, Nutter Bypass & Team Rush
Trans: T5
Front: Dana30 G2 4.10s gears
Rear: AMC20 G2 4.10 gears G2 1-piece axle
Tires: BF Goodrich T/A 33" 10.5 R15
post #28 of 100 Old 01-21-2016, 03:19 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Another thank you Gary, months after getting mine it was a nice surprise how bright thes are, especially the turn signals that previously during daylight were impossible to see. I've posted links to this thread as I'm sure there's others out there still that don't know about this upgrade.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #29 of 100 Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 PM
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Great info here. I might do this to my '85 once summer hits.
post #30 of 100 Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM
2Xtreme

1979 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for the great write-up!
Simple and effective….

I'm definitely putting this on the list of projects to do (after the higher-prioirty projects).

One issue I can see I will have is that some of my oem bulb 'sockets' have been broken off by the PO.

Does anyone know of a good source for these?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in