Leaking T5 Transmission - Fluid Recos? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndrewUVM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Leaking T5 Transmission - Fluid Recos?

My T5 is leaking out of the rear output seal between the transmission and the transfer case.

Thinking it was a bad seal, I pulled the tansfer case and replaced the seal. Test fit the seal on the transfer case before it was installed to be sure that the seal would be right as the old one seemed lose.

Got everything reinstalled and refilled the transmission with Pennzoil Synchromesh. Took the CJ out for a drive and after coming home I've got a leak in the same spot.

I've either got a clogged breather in the transmission which is creating pressure once the fluid heats up or the fluid is not correct and seeping out as it heats and thins. For those of you running something other than Synchromesh - which fluid are you running in your T5?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

did you change the tranmission output seal and the transfer case input seal. or just the transmission seal? could be the transfercase input seal leaking on you.

i know this will prob start a huge debate. this is not my intention. i am only saying what in my t4 in my jeep pretty much the same transmission other then no overdrive gear in the rear section of the trans. the non world class is based off of the sr4. The transmissions that amc used were not the world class t4 or t5. the way to tell is all world class have needle bearings between the main shaft and the gears. i researched it alot after i tried synchromesh and didnt like the shifting. didnt like to downshift and 3rd was the worst. so researching i found that amc recommended p/n 8983-000-000. when you look that up it came up on a cross reference as 80-90 GL4 oil. now the hard part no part stores carry gl4 fluid only gl5 which has alot more of the limited slip additive in it. that is very bad for the synchros that we have that are made of brass. I called a buddy who runs a oil supply business and he found they sell a 30 or 50 weight transmission fluid to truck shops.because there are still alot of big trucks that use manual transmissions with real gear oil. it is Chevron Delo Torqforce that is a GL4 dino oil. on the viscosity charts the 50 oil is about what the 90 gear oil is. i put that in there after about 10 miles it shifts alot better and smoother. i live in fl so the thickness doesnt bother me. they have a 30 weight which on the viscosity chart is at the 80/85 gear oil. if you google 80w90 gl4 there is a couple that come up that are synthetic but have the price of it to. what i got from my buddy he sells for about 100 bucks for 5 gallons. if you want to try a manual transmission oil you can probably call a truck maintenance shop and get a gallon at a reasonable price of 20-25 bucks.

again im not starting a debate just saying what i use and like in my transmission.

oldschool
post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

I had to use a 'speedi-sleeve' because of shaft wear.
https://www.skf.com/us/products/seal...eve/index.html

LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men

post #4 of 11 Old 06-28-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
I had to use a 'speedi-sleeve' because of shaft wear.
https://www.skf.com/us/products/seal...eve/index.html

LG
Do you recall if you put the "speedi sleeve" on in front of the transfer case seal or behind the transfer case input seal?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Got the transmission pulled and separated form the transfer case. Just pulled the rear output seal and inspected the surface a little closer this time around and it looks like there surface was scored ever so slightly at some point.

Thinking this might be contributing to the leak. Could I just put a small amount of RTV on this when i press the new seal in to fix this issue?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 07:41 PM
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

I've never had that apart actually, do you have a wider angle to see exactly where it's at.

but yes that could definitely be contributing to the leak and it should be replaced if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

RTV won't work.
Sleeve or replace.
G.

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Fsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Drake View Post
I've never had that apart actually, do you have a wider angle to see exactly where it's at.

but yes that could definitely be contributing to the leak and it should be replaced if possible.
Thatís the T5 output shaft that you see in the lower right hand corner. When I pulled the seal, that was in the 4 o clock position in the below picture

I have a speedi-sleeve to place over the Dana 300 input shaft that mates to the output shaft pictured to hopefully make that seal a little better.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

Yeah, that gouge is not good, but how bad is difficult to say. It looks fairly small, but deep enough to ket fluid pass.
If you want to absolutely ensure that it doesn't leak you'd need to refurbish/replace the metal (and it looks like rubber) seat.
I'm not sure exactly how to do that other than getting a new case, or grinding and welding.

Are the second pics after you put the new seal in? Is the orange stuff RTV?
That might actually work, at least for a while. I'd run it, knowing that with everything else new I'm pretty sure where the leak, if it happens, is coming from.

In the end it'll come down to how much you're willing to put up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2020, 03:13 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I guess someone got over zealous taking the trans and TC apart at one point. But that area that has the slight damage does not have a seal and can be repaired with a rifle file to clean off the rough spots.
If oil is leaking from the weep hole at the base (the groove at the bottom of the T5 trans) then either one or both of the seals are leaking.
I had this trouble years ago when using a clear synthetic oil in the TC that leaked through the smallest of openings but really couldn't tell if it was the transmission or TC that was leaking. I wind up using a red food coloring in the TC just to identify where the leak was actually coming from, trans or TC. It was the TC and several places showed up with the food coloring added. Rear output yoke, seal between trans and TC and front seal as well. So, new yoke for the rear output, new seals front and rear plus the one in between the mating pieces and they weren't POS, made in China Crown ones either. I used seals from National Seal and got them from NAPA. Changed oil back to a good dino oil and it hasn't leaked since.

Make sure you use oil or grease on the shafts before sliding them through the seals or they can tear very easily.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 11 Old 07-02-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
AndrewUVM
1986 CJ7 

Thanks All.

The orange color on the seal is just a Timken seal, that is how they come. That is the old seal that I pulled and then discovered the small gouge. I'll apply a thin layer of RTV on the outside of the new seal before it is pressed into the space.

Picking up the transfer case input seal this afternoon and hope to have it all back together tomorrow.
Capt_Drake likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in