Leaf spring nightmare - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

a hack fix can be grind off the RR shackle hanger and outboard it to sit directly over the spring eye. But that is not addressing the core problem of why... it is tempting tho...

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
Facebook: Hillís Angels 4x4 Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:44 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

How are your airbag mounts? one/both of them twisted and the bags are pushing the axle to the side/forward to the pass side? you said everything goes back into alignment when you pick it up and the bags would have no push, then when you took a drive and hit a few bumps, the bags would start to self align and push the axle over?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #33 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
How are your airbag mounts? one/both of them twisted and the bags are pushing the axle to the side/forward to the pass side? you said everything goes back into alignment when you pick it up and the bags would have no push, then when you took a drive and hit a few bumps, the bags would start to self align and push the axle over?
they sure are twisted but completely deflated. no load, just hanging there. lift to full droop the P side still not completely vertical...

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #34 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If the driver side is vertical, kinda makes you wonder what would happen if you move the passenger side axle mount over a 1/4"

Wouldn't fix the problem with the hub to hub distance.

Almost seems like you don't have the same length springs on each side but I'm sure you checked that already

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #35 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 01:18 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

RareCJ8, what is your rear shackle angle? Looking at most of the conversions on Toyota trucks, they seem to be shooting for about 45 degrees back and you look to be a long way from that. You currently look to be a full on compression shackle and that might be contributing to the shackles wanting to flop over to the side. At 45 degrees you are getting more into a tension shackle and not putting as much vertical pressure on the shackle allowing it to shift/flop to the side maybe?

post #36 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

this weekend get the joy of tearing it all apart and look for any issues, especially P side spring perch. Look for wallowed out center pin hole. front and rear of that hole are two voids cast into the axle perch that unless one is very carefully watching its easy for the center pin to drop into a void and not be exactly in the center hole. recall we were careful at this stage but have nothing to lose pulling it open for a look anyway. or stab that 1" offset plate in and see if there is a difference pulling P side wheel back into correct position... right now not ruling anything out. My buddies are all on rubicon this week while i get to be here with u dudes, lol.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
post #37 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 08:23 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Consider pressing or drilling out the stock bushings in the leafs for some poly or Kevlar reinforced poly bushings with sleeves. I think I either used skysoffroaddesign or offroaddesign when I did mine. Both offer different kinds.
post #38 of 42 Old 06-16-2021, 12:02 PM
Chiss

1985 CJ7 

Garage
You missing something, You should go back and look at a Toyota, Airbags on one end and Spherical on the other, You are not going to keep the *** end under the Jeep. Built a Load of Rear suspensions in my Life, You are not going any where with that Setup doesn't matter how much Money you throw at it. Without a Panhard Bar or some kind of Track Bar to keep that Axle Centered you going No where with that setup, Which I believe you already finding that out. P.S. I don't know how many Magazine Covers your Shop has Graced, If they look at that Mess and Say they Don't see a Problem, I'm Glad they are Parked for the Photo Shoot...........

Difficult to See, The Dark Side is................
post #39 of 42 Old 06-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Chiss

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Just for Giggles , Did a Little research, Every Install I see has a Traditional Hard rubber mount on one end of the Spring. Thats what's keeping the Axle in Place.

Difficult to See, The Dark Side is................
post #40 of 42 Old 06-16-2021, 01:21 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiss View Post
You missing something, You should go back and look at a Toyota, Airbags on one end and Spherical on the other, You are not going to keep the *** end under the Jeep. Built a Load of Rear suspensions in my Life, You are not going any where with that Setup doesn't matter how much Money you throw at it. Without a Panhard Bar or some kind of Track Bar to keep that Axle Centered you going No where with that setup, Which I believe you already finding that out. P.S. I don't know how many Magazine Covers your Shop has Graced, If they look at that Mess and Say they Don't see a Problem, I'm Glad they are Parked for the Photo Shoot...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiss View Post
Just for Giggles , Did a Little research, Every Install I see has a Traditional Hard rubber mount on one end of the Spring. Thats what's keeping the Axle in Place.

OP has rubber bushings in the leading end of the spring. Only place that has orbitals is in the shackle end. airbags are centered over the axle for weight capacity, nothing to do with locating the springs.

post #41 of 42 Old 06-16-2021, 04:57 PM
T Hoff

1975 CJ5 

Did one of your shocks freeze up? It makes no sense that both drivers and passenger shackled are twisting same direction unless something is pushing to passenger side. What new stuff was added recently?

'75 CJ5 ---Chevy HP 350 motor-- All Fiberglas---one piece tilt forward nose
1985 chevy stepside pickup, 300K on the clock: Original Owner
1989 Volvo 240 300K on the clock: Original Owner
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K

post #42 of 42 Old 06-17-2021, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

deeper investigation reveals LF spring is bent and trashed. SOA and shackle reverse is a bugger. LF 1" higher than PF side. Yanking those and adding rubicon express 6 leaf 1.5" SOA YJ pax. then we re measure. and taking air bags off line for a re assessment. and pull apart rear spring perch to verify all pins in right location. then crack a cold PBR. or 3
JoonHoss likes this.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in