Leaf spring nightmare - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 Old 06-14-2021, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Before going with new pax and the orbital hanger in the rear, just rear of each pack, installed used pax with new bushings and new oem shackles. 15 mile drive and lookie here. This motivated new pax (since first one busted the rear spring eye). Getting the same twisting then as now. Thus the orbital might be a minor issue but something is wrong somewhere else. All spring hangers side to side match including center pin to center pin. With the new oem shackles twisting is pushing out the pressed in bushing and making metal to metal contact.

In my Toyota days ran chevy 63s with an orbital hanger and zero issues, as do many others.

Attached Thumbnails
0F057EED-419D-4AA0-8666-497DAA6A700F.jpg  

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
Facebook: Hillís Angels 4x4 Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Based on your experience, I hear what your saying…based on your pic the only movement looks to be in the shackle bushing alone and maybe some in the shackle. The spring is still level. Any perceived flex is not in the spring it’s in the amount of movement with the shackle racking back and forth. 63 Chevy springs, flex up and down. They don’t twist more with a rotating shackle bushing. The rust line on the broken leaf tells me the spring was already failing before the final fresh break line. I personally would not want such instability with shackles that rack back and forth and don’t return to center.

I’m not trying to flame you so don’t get that feeling. But, to be honest, your using a weak looking shackles to begin with.

What does your 8 weigh?
post #18 of 42 Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

At first glance, all measurements being true and correct, my initial guess would be that your rear end is settling on the same passenger side that the rear wants to react towards under torque load. So, your rear end is wanting to move in the opposite direction the drive line is spinning. The orbital shackle is letting it happen. A small movement closer to center line can equate to a larger measurement in your hub to hub comparison.

Edit: looks like both pics are same vehicle, removed comment.

I agree with trying to flip the leafs around.

post #19 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBlue View Post
Based on your experience, I hear what your sayingÖbased on your pic the only movement looks to be in the shackle bushing alone and maybe some in the shackle. The spring is still level. Any perceived flex is not in the spring itís in the amount of movement with the shackle racking back and forth. 63 Chevy springs, flex up and down. They donít twist more with a rotating shackle bushing. The rust line on the broken leaf tells me the spring was already failing before the final fresh break line. I personally would not want such instability with shackles that rack back and forth and donít return to center.

Iím not trying to flame you so donít get that feeling. But, to be honest, your using a weak looking shackles to begin with.

What does your 8 weigh?
No idea as to weight but there is a lot of heavy stuff. Orbital debate aside, it did the exact thing on the first go around using oem factory spec chevy shackles, etc. the fact the rear pass side eye broke might be a fluke owing to the rust line. Hence brand new $$ springs. See above photo with the new bushings being pushed out and metal to metal. Still not clear on a solution. All my buddies are out wheeling and my rig sits home. Spent another two hours tonight with a buddy making countless measurements and the rear pax are perfectly parallel. And each time from different reference points on frame, etc pass side tire is 1.25Ē forward of driver side. Itís mimicking a broken center pin when axle walks fwd. so we pulled it apart and Nope. All solid and centered on both spring perches. Side to side, front to rear. Jacked up rear end to allow full droop. Canít get anything to budge. Tired, itís bed time.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
post #20 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:08 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I'm not familiar with the CJ8 frame but is there a chance that frame flex or possibly spreading is coming into play?
post #21 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 AM
Chiss

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I'd be Looking for a Cracked Frame............Are those Bushing's made out of Foam. Never saw Bushings give that much movement. Bolt Angles in Photo's the Bushings look like ****.

Difficult to See, The Dark Side is................
post #22 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 03:45 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiss View Post
I'd be Looking for a Cracked Frame............Are those Bushing's made out of Foam. Never saw Bushings give that much movement. Bolt Angles in Photo's the Bushings look like ****.
No bushing but an orbital shackle hanger.

It allows the springs to pivot when articulating. Reduces twisting and binding on the springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #23 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 05:18 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Have you measured width between the wheel lip to wheel lip at 90 and 270 degrees? Might not even be a suspension issue. Could be a bent spindle and the pass side tire is cocked out and is trying to drive away from the jeep.. Did you get a rear toe reading from your 4 wheel alignment?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #24 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 06:20 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Have you done diagonal corner to corner measurements to confirm the frame is square?

Matt

post #25 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 10:00 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Have you done diagonal corner to corner measurements to confirm the frame is square?

Matt
Those were my thoughts, that the frame may be racked but the OP says they took measurements.
post #26 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 10:05 AM
baldfatdad
1984 CJ8 

How about a bad tire, bent rim, bent axle?
post #27 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 11:59 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I imagine that when you drive the Jeep, it tracks straight even though the axle gets displaced off to one side? I don't recall reading comments regarding tracking problems.
post #28 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:23 PM
Chiss

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I don't see how those Orbitals can be Effective running a Shackle with no Center Support. The Independent Hangers give no Stability and just Lays to the side of the Jeep that is the Heaviest.

Difficult to See, The Dark Side is................
post #29 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiss View Post
I don't see how those Orbitals can be Effective running a Shackle with no Center Support. The Independent Hangers give no Stability and just Lays to the side of the Jeep that is the Heaviest.

OP had the same issue when using the stock Chevy tension style shackles.

The bushing at the front of the spring should keep everything in line. As the OP said, this is a normal conversion for the rear of a toyota and it works just fine in that application.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #30 of 42 Old 06-15-2021, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

back from the alignment shop. This shop builds high end KOH class 4 race trucks and numerous custom builds that grace several magazine covers. highly rated. Their recent 63" swap onto another jeep inspired this modification. Goal here is not necessarily extra flex but road/trail manners and a smoother ride in the rocks. So after all they did, zip. Cannot detect anything out of place. Except the P side wheel is 3/4" fwd of D side, yet all measurements, thrust, diamond and all the rest say its all equal. Leaf hangers exactly where should be. This top crew is also stumped. Up lift to full droop and the D shackle straightens right out, P side still at a cant. (see below pix). Let settle back on its weight and both promptly flop over. So next up is tear it all apart (for the 4th x) and start from scratch. Not so easy in a home garage...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1771.jpg   IMG_1770.jpg  

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in