LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You should be run'n a shroud.
Also-When was the last time you had a 'rod-out' done on your radiator?
LG
LG, he put a new over-sized radiator in, which involved hacking his grill.

I agree with Dryseals, without the necessary flow a larger radiator isn't going to help.

I also agree that a fan shroud would certainly help. It made a 10-15* difference on my 360.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

Uhhhh.... Looks to me like it is fully shrouded. I'd try a higher flow water pump first.

Luis

Black '05 LJ, soft top, ~4" lift, 42rle, 3.73, 35"x12.5" AT's, Tampa FL area
post #18 of 33 Old 12-15-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You should be run'n a shroud.
Also-When was the last time you had a 'rod-out' done on your radiator?
LG
Yep, always ran a shroud, however I will admit I did not with the mechanical fan.

Rads are new. No rod-outs performed.

Thanks for the reply LG, I haven't seen your name in a little while.

Paul

post #19 of 33 Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper44mag View Post
Uhhhh.... Looks to me like it is fully shrouded. I'd try a higher flow water pump first.

Luis
Yes it is fully shrouded, thanks for calling that out.

Yeah, I read lots about water pumps, high flo etc etc. I firmly believe the route I chose will work out very well.

I see way too many threads left "unfinished" - therefore I intend to report back once I can test my setup thoroughly.

My primary intent of creating this thread was to serve as help to others facing similar challenges, as I could not find one similar when I had started.

Paul
post #20 of 33 Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
LG, he put a new over-sized radiator in, which involved hacking his grill.

I agree with Dryseals, without the necessary flow a larger radiator isn't going to help.

I also agree that a fan shroud would certainly help. It made a 10-15* difference on my 360.

Matt
Yeah when I ran my little 360 back in the day - shroud always. Well shroud regardless of CI.

Paul
post #21 of 33 Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Hey all,
Always like to try and close loops for others who may encounter something similar in the future.
So far, while early in the spring season here in Canada, we enjoyed beautiful weather this past weekend.

Gave the jeep a good work out. Hit some stop and go traffic, then speeds where rpms were sustained to around 2,200. Temps never exceeded 197f. With the previous setup, 209f-215f would have been the norm, spinning at about the same rpms. So far, so good.

197f, down to 186f, 178f, then back up gradually, then again back down. Repeat.

I have two 14" spal fans (pf-32) wired independently with thermo control but with a manual over-ride option. The rad is a griffen, aluminum, 1.5" - 2 row.

Nice results so far.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  
Attached Images

post #22 of 33 Old 05-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Blown7

I also modified my grill years ago to use a Wagoneer radiator, I never had a problem.

Sometimes the 401's are real flaky when the cylinder is bored to near/at .060" over ....then the block wall gets real thin and makes lots of heat.

Is your engine bored oversize?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the meta-cognitive ability to realize their mistakes.
post #23 of 33 Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

That's a great call-out and I've heard the same. This engine is bored .030" over however ...
post #24 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 AM
DesertCJ5
1976 CJ5 

post #25 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 AM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Wow! That's a big radiator! Haven't seen one that large since I owned my Peterbilt....

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #26 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroaddaddy View Post
.......Gave the jeep a good work out. Hit some stop and go traffic, then speeds where rpms were sustained to around 2,200. Temps never exceeded 197f. With the previous setup, 209f-215f would have been the norm, spinning at about the same rpms. So far, so good.

197f, down to 186f, 178f, then back up gradually, then again back down. Repeat.

Nice results so far.

Paul
I'm glad you are satisfied by your results but I disagree. I don't see anything wrong with the engine running at a relatively steady 210°F as long at it wasn't overheating and boiling over. You now have the fans coming on just as the thermostat is finally opening which is counterproductive. If this was a modern computer controlled vehicle , which it is obviously not, you would never be out of 'closed loop' mode. It would have cheaper and easier to put in a colder thermostat maybe 160°?
post #27 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
I'm glad you are satisfied by your results but I disagree. I don't see anything wrong with the engine running at a relatively steady 210°F as long at it wasn't overheating and boiling over. You now have the fans coming on just as the thermostat is finally opening which is counterproductive. If this was a modern computer controlled vehicle , which it is obviously not, you would never be out of 'closed loop' mode. It would have cheaper and easier to put in a colder thermostat maybe 160°?
Appreciate you sharing your POV and I am fine to agree to disagree.

The Edelbrock EFI setup on the engine must operate above 165f in order to be out closed loop mode.
post #28 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCJ5 View Post
Isn't the point to stay at 195*F for maximum engine efficiency? I run a fixed fan w/shroud so don't know anything about electric fan on/off setups. Why wouldn't it be set to kick in the fan when it goes to say 200*F and off at 195*F? Or slightly different on high-end. Wouldn't that allow the fan and thermostat to keep you regulated constantly near 195*, instead of 19* swings up and down.
I have the fans kicking on @ approx. 192f. As for the drop to 186/178f - as soon as the thermo open up (195f thermo), the temps drop to 178f but certainly do not stay there for any prolonged period of time.
When on trail, going at it in 95-100f weather, crawling...I don't think these ranges will be a point of contention.
post #29 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
Wow! That's a big radiator! Haven't seen one that large since I owned my Peterbilt....
wow, considering how well it fits and the finished product looks totally stock, I am really surprised to hear this about your peterbilt
post #30 of 33 Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroaddaddy View Post
wow, considering how well it fits and the finished product looks totally stock, I am really surprised to hear this about your peterbilt
It was meant as humor
Offroaddaddy likes this.

"In the end...It's all Hack."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in