• 1 Post By keith460
  • 2 Post By hp_lovecraft

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
98muddyjeep
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

laredo tach question

hey everyone been a while since i have been in here but have a question i cant seem to find the answer to even though i googled the hell out of it. i have an 81 laredo that originally had the 4 cylinder but some one pulled it out and dropped in a chevy 250 i guess because it would bolt up to the fly wheel, well they pretty much ran most of there own wires to make it work and it runs great and almost all the gauges works properly, my issue is i want to swap in a factory 6 cylinder tach with a harness i will have to make to replace the factory 4 cylinder tach, on the 6 cylinder tach there are two wires one is red and one is red with a white tracer, what i really need to know is what wire goes where? i dont want to ruin a good tach because it got wired incorrectly any help would be much appreciated.

ah,beer the cause of and cure to all of lifes problems ...Homer J Simpson... I am the guy in the red jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 05:39 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

If it is an original OEM 6 cylinder tach, the wires off the tachometer should have the male/female plugs on them unless someone hacked them off.
The red w/tracer off the tach will have a male plug and plug into the red w/tracer with the female plug on wiring harness. Red wire off the tach will have the female plug that plugs into the male plug of wiring harness.
Attached Images

uptillnow likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
98muddyjeep
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey your local to me, but that info doesn't help since the harness under the hood is cut up and it was originally set up for a 4 cylinder tach, i am just trying to find out if i can make a factory 6 cylinder tach work if i made my own harness or tried to wire it to the 4 cylinder tach wires and if so on the latter choice what wires go where?

ah,beer the cause of and cure to all of lifes problems ...Homer J Simpson... I am the guy in the red jeep!

post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The harness is under the dash on drivers side and not under the hood. Their are separate plugs for the factory 4 cylinder tachometer.
Attached Images

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 PM
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

You can probably make it work. The factory 6cyl tach was wired in series with the ignition coil power. So whatever you have going on under the hood, cut the 12V power to the coil, run that back to the tach Red/Tr, then the Red goes back to the coil.

California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/

Last edited by SLO_Ken; 06-04-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: had my wires crossed
post #6 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 AM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

I could use a good 4cyl tach. If you want to sell it just tell me. Momo

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It doesn't really mater which red wire goes goes to the coil and which goes to the ignition switch, just as long as it is in series.
Hooked up any other way will just short out the ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

THe 4-cyl tach is wired in parallel, while the 6-cyl works in series. Its weird that AMC used different systems.
John Strenk and uptillnow like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
THe 4-cyl tach is wired in parallel, while the 6-cyl works in series. Its weird that AMC used different systems.
I never checked but is this true for the GM as well as the AMC 4 cyl engine.? I can see it on the GM engine as they used a form of HEI on it.

Also my 84 Harness had all the wiring for the 4 cyl tach as well as the 6 cyl tach. I guess they figured just one harness was needed that way.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
98muddyjeep
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks i got it figure out i had to undo some of the past butchery on the wiring harness and splice in some wires off another harness i had but got it working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in