Key works all positions but start? Ignition rod maybe? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
82/84 CJ7

Key works all positions but start? Ignition rod maybe?

Hello all, as usual hope all is well with everyone.

My Jeep has always had this issue since I got it but I’ve finally gotten around to wanting to fix it.
It has the tilt steering column and the key locks and unlocks just fine and every position works great except START.

Occasionally whenever it feels like it the start position works and it engages the solenoid. Other times all the dash lights and radio turns off but nothing else happens. I temporarily fixed it buy running a toggle switch from the battery to the solenoid but I’d like to get the key reliably working again for simplicity sake. (On the bright side the toggle key makes nice crawl control when you stall lol just kidding)

I looked under the rusty dash and I can see the rod going into the cylinder. I can barley have room to feel it but it doesn’t feel like there’s a lot of slop and the key feels fine turning it. I see two screws on the switch. Do I just loosen them and slide the switch up? How do I know ho far too move it?

And on a side note if anyone has any idea what could be causing that annoying brake clunk that only happens when fully releasing the brake pedal after slowing down I’d be grateful. I’m not sure wether it’s just another “noise” or indicative of a issue

Thanks
Jarod

84 CJ7 with 258 and T5 On 30x9.50x15 general grabber ATX
She ainít fast but sheís fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 03:57 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It could be the switch needs to be adjusted a little. the mounting screws are in slots so you can move the switch up and down on the steering column.

THis is how you roughly get it into the correct position. But some switches do not have the hole.

It could also be the rack and pinion gear is cracked inside the steering column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
82/84 CJ7

Thank you John.
So if I understand this right I just loosen the screws holding the switch and slide it up or down until the drill bit falls into the switch basically?

It’s just weird it works on and off. Makes me wonder if the actual switch itself is a little corroded

84 CJ7 with 258 and T5 On 30x9.50x15 general grabber ATX
She ainít fast but sheís fun.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 09:48 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

If you find that things are working mechanically then those are typical symptoms of bad battery terminal connections. Or possibly a bad connection at the starter itself or solenoid. Lights and such have low amperage requirements, your starter needs a LOT more. The lights going off when you turn to start is also indicative of bad continuity.

Last edited by mudbfun; 04-17-2021 at 10:02 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 09:52 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yep just loosen the nuts and adjust
If you don't have the hole then you can just move it down a little way in steps and test to see if it works at each step.

and since you have a tilt, the switch will have to move down the column.

Could be corrosion or dirt build up and its not making contact in the start position.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 11:42 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Hope the OP doesn't mind me interjecting since I believe this could be a related situation. My Jeep has a tilt column and it will only start with the column in the straight position. Could the switch position could be causing this?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 01:20 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Hope the OP doesn't mind me interjecting since I believe this could be a related situation. My Jeep has a tilt column and it will only start with the column in the straight position. Could the switch position could be causing this?
It should start in any position but thatís something to try.

If it does start in a different position I would hazard that the activator rack has a crack in one side and moving it to a different position, allows the rack rack to pull closer to the side that is not cracked.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 02:10 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It should start in any position but thatís something to try.

If it does start in a different position I would hazard that the activator rack has a crack in one side and moving it to a different position, allows the rack rack to pull closer to the side that is not cracked.
Thanks John. I've been hazarding a guess that the rack may be the culprit. It's been that way for a while.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Maybe you need to calibrate the switch assembly?

(Loosen--slide it a little)

Could be that "Start" is barely being reached with rod actuation?

Switch may be bad too???

I am assuming there is not an issue with "S" wire or other electricals

I don't recall which is the tilt or which is straight column (right off hand--I could look and verify with 2nd pic--straight column)---last pic is both-----------saving those brain cells tonight!

I have a straight column---I now have "EZ reversable" push button system--no key needed

I gutted my switch to make my assembly---you can see how it works and maybe how it might destruct
Attached Thumbnails
IGN SW 011.jpg   IGN SW 00266666.jpg   IGN SW HHHfhffd 057.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in