Just a tad of steering wander remaining--Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
stuckn83

Garage
Cj Just a tad of steering wander remaining--Help

84 CJ7. Replaced everything on the front end this winter. I mean everything (everything torn down to knuckle and replaced and all new rods and steering damper. Used quality parts and proper torque. PO had installed OME 2.5 lift springs with Bilsteins. But he had crazy extra long low quality spring hangers and a low quality steering box. It was not safe over 35mph. I replaced the hangers with solid stock height ones and also a new ARG box and pump and a new lower steering column. Also added 32 BFG KO's at 25psi. The drive-ability is tons better as in safe at 55mph but still not perfect. A little play in steering and when it wanders a tad you have to be really non-aggressive to pull it back. My thoughts are that the 2.5 life OME and 32 tires are causing this. 4 questions--I I go back to stock height springs and 31 inch tires will this improve my issue? 2 If I go back to stock height springs and add enough "body" lift to clear my 32's will this improve my issue. I know it is a jeep and a lot of folks would love the way it drives but not me. 3 Should I invest in the YJ suspension conversion??? 4-Sell the CJ and buy a CJ wantabe Wrangler???

"I can eat fifty eggs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have a professional alignment done. Im betting the PO neglected to correct the castor angle when he did the lift. Most guys have to use 4 degree shims in front to correct castor angle with the 2.5" OME lift snd stock shackles.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
stuckn83

Garage
Had it alignment done and with 4 degree shims it put me at 6.3 degrees positive castor. Any other suggestions??

"I can eat fifty eggs."

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 06:46 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have basically the same setup as you, 32" tires and a 2.5" lift but only needed 2 degrees of castor to yield 7 degrees positive castor. Drives well at any speed but still, wide tires and contours of the road makes it seem like it wanders but it does not. The higher center-of-gravity makes it also feel as though it is wandering sometimes. So maybe just a feeling on your part or does it actually dart to the left and right when driving higher speeds?

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, it may be just the nature of the CJ beast. They do have sensitive steering when everything is tight and right. I can comfortably cruise at 70 with one hand draped over the wheel, but it ain't no Porsche.

I've read that a variable ratio steering box will make the steering less sensitive when driving straight. It may be worth a shot.

Matt

post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

I have a TJ with the same tires as you do and I have had two TJs that ran stock and a tad larger than stock. Trust me, its going to be the wide tires on a small wheel based vehicles with ball and worm steering. If you had a rack and pinion steering you would have the same tire drift but having a tight hand on the steering you feel it before it goes and it becomes a natural reaction when driving. I know the front tires on my Corvette where as wide as the 32's but no road drift per say as the steering was very tight. One thing that helped on the TJ was wheel spacers, they rubbed on tight turns so I needed to move them out a bit, 1 1/2 inches on either side. Made a world of difference on the stance and feel of the road drift.

You have a small wheel based vehicle with a narrow stance and wide tires its going to feel a bit awkward because it is.

Tags
steering , suspension , wander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in