• 2 Post By Submariner
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Just picked up a "new" 1976 cj5

I just picked up a 1976 cj5 from an ole boy who had not been driving it for 3 to 4 years. At one time this was a trail ready and well cared for CJ.

Change to a 304 V8, 3 sp, 4" lift on 33x12.50, Limited slip in both ends with dana 44 flange in the back. The PO has swaped the shackles to the rear on the front axle. He also has built/added on a swing away tire carrier and at one time had a winch on the front. the PO has replace all interior with Rugged ridge seats and console and it only has a backini top on it.

The only things wrong with it is neglect and being painted with a rubberized paint and deck out in Seahawks colors. So the lime green is going away. It will be DE-Hawked. I am not a football fan. I will post pic's, you will see why the green has to go.

So I need a few suggestions, What spark plugs should I replace the current ones with. What other suggestions would you have besides drive it like I stole it.

I ahve been looking for a "5" for a while to fill a spot in my stable. one less on the bucket list.

Attached Thumbnails
20200616_181317_resized.jpg   20200616_181543_resized.jpg   20200616_181528_resized.jpg   20200616_181413_resized.jpg   20200616_181307_resized.jpg  

20200616_181402_resized.jpg   20200616_181258_resized.jpg   20200616_181243_resized.jpg  
Jim1611 and PawleysJeeper like this.

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2020, 08:10 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Get the FSM on oljeep.com. It will save you a lot of time to know what it should have, also the parts book.

The 304 only needs cheap copper core plugs, Champion or Autolite etc. I just buy what is cheap and well known brand from Rockauto, they have a lot of closeout sales on plugs. You can get a lot of other stuff such as wipers, filters, radiator caps etc cheaply. I then have it shipped around the world as it is still cheaper than getting the right parts locally.

I guess I would examine the body. That metal plating is either hiding rust or is going to cause it.

Also, the roll bar is sitting on top of the fender wells which is probably where it was from the factory. Below is how we used to ride Jeeps, modern safety whatsnots would say your sports bar was unsafe, I say doors are unsafe because you cannot leap out. But I doubt anyone sorted it for hard core wheeling if they were using that sports bar.

The engine cooling system needs some thinking, it is often neglected but is worth spending a few dollars on. The viscous coupling for the fan has been replaced, was this to cure overheating? Anyways I would replace the water pump. hoses, thermostat, clips, radiator cap, coupling as a first step and of course new coolant. if the radiator was an original brass one (looks like it), I would send it to a radiator shop for a service. You should be able to run these things all day long without overheating. Last time I did this it cost very little, about $150.

New fluids and filters for axles, transmission, engine etc. lots of grease in the chassis needed, this is the first thing that is neglected but it does make a huge difference. Wheel bearings need grease, simple fact. I have found driveshaft joints worn square from friction due to lack of greasing before now.

An ignition service is due but you can do the Teamrush upgrade on that distributor with a 1982 Ford F-150 with 302 V-8 engine dizzie cap, adapter, rotor arm and new leads. It will make better use of your spark and cost no more than an ignition service. Look up Teamrush 304 for Jeephammer's explanation. Last time I did this to a 258, I only spent about $60.

Check through brakes. They are so cheap for a CJ that I would replace all pads, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, hoses, bleed nipples and give them a real good clean and inspection. old looking proportioning valve, probably replace, consider new discs and master cylinder (hard to get a good cheap reman so may keep if working). i just did this on a CJ and found so many fittings were wrong and flares wrong that I was real glad I had took it all apart as I needed some new pipes and fittings and it now stops on a dime. i put on a new Raybestos master cylinder that I probably did not need so spent $400. I am a fan now of synthetic DOT3 brake fluid.

No power steering? Maybe think about it?

Just a few ideas, you can spend months working on them.
Attached Thumbnails
FordBlitzBuggy.jpg  

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2020, 09:50 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm IN ( I'll be pulling up a virtual bar stool in the shop corner, nevermind me)

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2020, 05:52 PM
brianscoob

1976 CJ7 

Garage
You've got yourself a might-fine Jeep CJ7. I'm sure you checked off a lot of your must haves before you made the deal. For me, just like sated above, new everything ignition system. Get whatever plugs are on clear out at Rocks. I'm also a huge fan of not over heating so an upgraded cooling system with a new or overhauled radiator and water pump. Get rid of that God awful color scheme as that Jeep is embarrassed to be seen. Keep an eye open for used tops, they're out there just got to find em. You got yourself a winner!
post #5 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
I do have an ignition problem. I am thinking a new distributor for it due to the amount of play in the shaft and the odd wear in the cap. I am getting a minut amount of backfire in the carb at a higher rpm.

I want to do a compression test to see how tight the engine is and check how tight the cam chain is on this just to see what I have in the engine. The odometer say 33k but I am thinking maybe 133K on it. but it has not been driven alot by PO so it may be 33K. I would be surprised though.

I have checked all the fluids and most of them will be change due to color. Flushing the radiator is definate. but I am also thinking of changing all the hoses also. Brakes have been upgraded to 11". and everything looks good and clean, blow out a little dust.
It does have a limited slip in front and a locker in the rear. which is nice. and someone has done an outstanding job on the front shackle reversal. It does drive a lot straighter then any other cj that I have owned, no wondering in truck tracks on the highway.
The only real rust issue that has not been dealt with is the tailgate and I just may buy a new one when I do a complete paint job on it at at latter date.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Did a few things to the ole girl. Blue and greeen are gone. she was a red head underneath it all. and now I am doing a new cam and lifters for her and I want to put in a power steering unit. to up date it a little more.
Attached Thumbnails
20200627_142609_resized.jpg   20200708_180333_resized.jpg   20200625_081640_resized.jpg  

post #7 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Nice clean engine there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 11:57 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Did you peel the topcoat off? What all did you have to do to get it back to the red? Looks a MILLION times better!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #9 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM
braindamage

1978 CJ5 

Garage
Love the red! Looks awesome
post #10 of 11 Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Wow, really impressive transformation!!!!!!!

I love RED Jeeps, 3 of mine are now repainted Red.
Attached Images

Rsb201 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #11 of 11 Old 07-11-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Took the pressure washer to it. Most of the paint 95% came off pretty easy. Yep she was a redhead underneath it all. Need to do some touch up with a rattle can. but at 20 feet she is pretty. closer you can tell her age. She has a few rust spots that are hidden and some day I will do a complete repair to her. right now I just want to get her backon the road and have some fun.

She had been sitting for a number of years and before that she got driven down to parking lot and then back home. engine was never really warmed up and one cam lob is worn flat. So she is gettin a new cam and new timing belts.

so she will get fixed good enough to play this summer and fall while I work on a comanche. Once the comanche is up and running again. I think Red will go down for a complete restoration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in