Just Jeeps show...cj only?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
cootbruce
1947 CJ2A 

Just Jeeps show...cj only??

New to the site but not to jeeps.....I operate a ski resort in the U.P. of Michigan and would like to gauge the interest in a "just Jeeps" ride and show this summer/fall. Trail riding on Friday, on ski slope show and ride with cook out on the top of the hill on Saturday. Of course an area to swap parts, food, drink and jeep talk.....Should it be open to ALL models of just CJ's?

Thanks for any ideas....date is still wide open, most likely early fall.......

I can be contacted directly at [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM
CSP

If you're only going to open it to CJs the title should be Just CJ's dontcha think?
post #3 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM
WindKnot

1977 CJ7 

I'd open it to all Jeeps. It'll still wind up like a Jr Hi School dance with the different groups in different corners!

My guess is the same kind of Jeepers, regardless of models owned will show up. I doubt the "Grocery Getters" will show.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

If you want a good turn out you should open it to all just because so many people have wranglers and CJ's are getting scarce.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 03:37 PM
CJ7Kid

1985 CJ7 

i'd say that in Mich. and surrounding states, like here, the CJ extinction is well under way. You'd be pretty lonely at a show for CJs only. just sayin...
post #6 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

How about a "Jeeps, just not Patriots, Compasses, Libertys and Renegades" show? Yeah... that'd be crowed ad. I'd open it all Jeeps.

1981 CJ8, Chevy 5.7, SM465, D300, RE 4.5, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 4.56, Detroits, Warn 9500ti
post #7 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

KB4ERT
1978 CJ-7 258 4.2L
1982 DJ-5L 151 2.5L

Last edited by SCSEAJAYSEVEN; 04-01-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Double post...
post #8 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Mortgage-payer

1976 CJ7 

It must be tough to get people to come to a ski resort in Northern Michigan, irregardless of the time of year.

In the winter the serious skiers from the cities in the Midwest probably fly to the Rockies, in the summer people have to drive through miles of green forests just to get to your green forests...

I call it a distributor, not a dizzy.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 PM
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

If you operate a ski slope in U.P.Michigan, and you want to produce an interactive vehicle show, you should change your emphasis on the vehicles. Why not promote the venue? "All Terrains on All Terrains". "4X4s on the Slopes". Showcasing the venue would attract more participates.

Sure, you will get the jacked up, diesel belching, 4X4 Ford pickups that need a step ladder to enter, but you are looking for "numbers" when you put on a show like this. Entry fees, sponsors, concessions, all produce income which can be paid out as prizes, or give aways. It's all about the numbers when you are the show producer.

The 4X4s, show cars/trucks, the rat rods, unusual vehicles are what draw a crowd of people to events like this. If you want to have a "ride", tell the participants what the ride is, hazards, upsides, downsides, and let them decide if they want to participate.

If it is limited to CJs only, your show will be missing out on some AWESOME "other" 4 wheels drive vehicles. Just imagine not having some imaginative Liberty's, Wagoneers, Willys, Cherokees, Wranglers, Rubicons, and all of the newer types of Jeeps that are out there.

Broncos, Chevy pickups, Dodge Ram trucks are awesome also. You should be looking at numbers as a promoter. Charge a fee that will cover all of your costs. Figure in a small profit. Costs of putting on the show, less expenses, plus a small profit will equal an event again. If you go in the hole financially will guarantee a bad heartache and a "Never Again" attitude. Promote your venue as much as you can, provide food, beverages, and above all port-o-lets! Provide PLENTY of volunteers to guide your patrons. UNORGANIZATION is NEVER an option.

Sure, there will be hiccups, but make them unseen. Local organizations are always looking for venues like this to sell there hotdogs, hamburgers and popcorn. Invite them, they will draw the crowds also. A DJ is always popular.

Think of EVERYTHING that could ever possibly go WRONG! Make sure that those areas are covered as best that you can. Have a plan in place for emergencies, rescue, fire (every participate has a fire extinguisher, {show it to enter}, medical tent, water station, even security.

Provide a reliable Point-of-contact, phone number, email or an snail mail address.

Something else to think about, if it's your property, liability insurance! If you can brainstorm the WHOLE event, and you can find a weak area, your patrons will find 5 more.

Nt trying to discourage you, just giving you some of my experiences...

GOOD LUCK!!!

KB4ERT
1978 CJ-7 258 4.2L
1982 DJ-5L 151 2.5L
post #10 of 23 Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
I'd love to partake in a Jeep Model only gathering, if I lived in Mich. If it weren't for them these other 4wd models within the Jeep brand wouldn't have the notoriety they do. Unfortunately like was said, there aren't enough of the Jeep model left to have a large turnout at an obscure location. So if your looking to gather a large crowd, just make it a 4WD show, any model, any brand.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Mortgage-payer

1976 CJ7 

What's a Jeep Model?

I call it a distributor, not a dizzy.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
WindKnot

1977 CJ7 

^^^ mb, gpw, cj ^^^

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
post #13 of 23 Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM
71-CJ6
1971 CJ6 

Jeep Models... you know... hoes on hoods.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
cootbruce
1947 CJ2A 

thanks for all of the suggestions. I think we will open it to all jeeps. But leave it at that, Just Jeeps....... I will post more information as we develop the event. Please share any ideas for making this a fun and family event. The U.P. of Michigan is a great place all year round. And some great trail riding. Big Powderhorn will provide a nice setting for the show and ride on the slopes. A cook out on the top of the ski hill will provide a great view too! Tons of lodging at the resort or nearby in Ironwood Mi.

More infor to come.......

Thanks again

Bruce
post #15 of 23 Old 04-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
By "All Jeeps", do you mean any version of the Jeep model, or any model the jeep company makes or made? Like the "All Breeds Jeep Show".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
What's a Jeep Model?
The 1/4 ton 4x4 model known as "the Jeep". Sometimes referred to as "the Mighty Jeep", "a Willys Jeep, "a universal Jeep", "a Kaiser Jeep", "an AMC Jeep", "a Jeep Jeep", "a real Jeep", or "an actual Jeep". It came in two series, the M* military and the CJ* civilian which both had intertwining versions during it's 45 year history. But you already knew all that.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in