Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 163 Old 08-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The powder coated parts really look nice. Were I to do another frame off on anything I'd like to be able to do many of my own parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 163 Old 08-23-2020, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
The powder coated parts really look nice. Were I to do another frame off on anything I'd like to be able to do many of my own parts.
I wish I powder coated more parts before I got my last few batches done. The guy I have been taking them to really cut me a deal in my opinion. I have roughly $120 in all the parts I have coated. Some large, some small. If I ever take on another project of some sort, I may just buy a coating system myself!

CJ-7 build
post #123 of 163 Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Were these holes from factory?

Trying to tie up some loose ends here... Can any of you guys tell me if these holes (circled in red) were original from the factory? Or is this something the previous owners did at some point?

There seems to be a slight amount of rust scale around the hole that leads me to believe that they were drilled by someone but they are so perfect they look stamped.

I posted this in a facebook group for a quick answer but I'm getting mixed thoughts. I forgot that some on facebook don't know left from right but I only post on those groups for quick answers like Wikipedia... every once in a while I see a thought out response. (No offence to those who who are on facebook CJ groups) I like this forum better anyways, better Jeeps, better people, even better knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E4242.jpg   IMG_E4241.jpg  

CJ-7 build

post #124 of 163 Old 08-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Here’s a picture of the underside of my hood, for comparison. No holes there in mine. But I have three holes near the latch area that you don’t have. My hood has been dented from contacting the windshield frame, so who knows what happened to mine regarding the three holes.
Attached Thumbnails
CC086FCC-2668-409A-ACBB-4CE88625DED8.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #125 of 163 Old 08-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Maybe yours had a bug deflector at one time? Ive seen someone on JF with a bug deflector on their CJ.
John Strenk and Renegade82 like this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #126 of 163 Old 08-27-2020, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Maybe yours had a bug deflector at one time? Ive seen someone on JF with a bug deflector on their CJ.
Thats what some facebook people said... some also said it was aftermarket and stock so you can see my confusions.

I may say the hell with it and weld them up. I'm finishing the metal work and filler work before I prime it.

Thanks for the picture Ax!

CJ-7 build
post #127 of 163 Old 08-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Stumpfarming

1974 CJ5 

Great build! Just getting caught up. I appreciate your detail. Smart move getting the Totally Stainless kit. It will make assembly go so much easier for you. It is coming together nicely! Great progress.
Deer-Slayer_5 likes this.

My '74 CJ5 build:
post #128 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Tub is back

Haven't been active much on here since not much progress has been going on in the garage. Work has been busy too but now I have a lot of work to do!

Yesterday I picked up my freshly dipped tub! I've been waiting for about 3 weeks for it to come back but it was worth the wait. $525 was the cost to have it dipped and it came out wonderful. There are some areas that have a little pitting but there is no rust holes or pin holes from rust. At most, it's just a little rough to the touch in those areas but nothing that needs repair. I spent about 2 hours rinsing the remaining chemicals off with the pressure washer and blowing out all the seams with the air nozzle. I am going to let it sit out in the sun today and take the air nozzle to it again before I start any work just to make sure all water is out of the cracks and seams. It's kinda cool to see the areas around the tub where they prepped the tub at the factory for leading or filler work. Some spot welds had imperfections or something so they would take the wizz wheel and fix it and fill it or simply prime it.

My plan moving forward is to:
1. Weld up the old radio antenna that was on the rear. I will re-drill it to be in the cowl area.
2. Seam seal the outside, inside, and bottom of the Jeep. (my goal is to make it waterproof )
3. Coat the braces and tube areas with cavity wax or a internal frame coating to prevent rust and to provide bare metal protection.
4. Prime all body panels before the heart of fall and hunting season for southwest Ohio
5. If time, temperature, and my work's paint booth availability permits, color and clear may go on. This depends on how fast I get stuff done at home.
6. Continue with the rest of assembly, wiring, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4326.jpg   IMG_4327.jpg   IMG_4332.jpg   IMG_4330.jpg   IMG_4331.jpg  

IMG_4328.jpg  

CJ-7 build
post #129 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The tub looks great. I had assumed that a full tub dip would be more expensive than that. Sounds like a good deal to save that much work.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #130 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

its wild how the decals still shadow through?!?!?!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #131 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 AM
dakotapi3rc3

Looking good! Love me some CJ7
post #132 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 09:24 AM
MainCJ7
1976 CJ7 

Garage
Very jealous, my project but next year!
post #133 of 163 Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
its wild how the decals still shadow through?!?!?!

Hoss
I was surprised that bled through like that too. We have no idea why it did that but there is no residue or stickiness to it. So I assume it is just the chemical reaction that discolored the metal?

CJ-7 build
post #134 of 163 Old 09-25-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Got some seam sealer on last night. I did my best to take some pictures along the way but I get so into the live action that I forget to document it for you all who read my thread.

I used a 3M urathane seam sealer in a caulking tube. Not sure on the part number but I got it at NAPA. It is very easy to apply if you lay tape around the area you want to seal. The tape makes easy clean up and leaves a crisp edge. using my finger to smear the sealer in the crack, it left a nice rounded, factory looking fill on the outside of the tub.

On the inside, I laid a bead as if I was caulking a kitchen counter or shower stall panel and I took a brush and ran it along the seam to smooth it out. I would then take the air nozzle and set it to about 40 PSI and blow on the sealer to create a ripple effect. I only planned to do the outside and firewall areas but that seam sealer goes a really long way so I completed about 80% of the inside of the tub before I ran out.

Here are some pictures.
img_4340.jpg
img_4342.jpg
lgrw2612.jpg
img_4341.jpg

CJ-7 build
post #135 of 163 Old 09-25-2020, 05:21 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Your tub is coming along great. It's interesting to see what everyone does to try to preserve these during the process of restoring. I think that along with what you're doing just taking good care of it after it's done and keep it parked inside will make it last even longer.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in