20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
So, your top is plastic and absorbed the paint? How many top coats did you apply?

Thanks,
Hoov
I am not 100% sure its plastic... I found on a forum here awhile back that earlier tops were a one piece polycarbonate then switched to fiberglass at some point. I hope someone can clarify this because I could have a aftermarket top and not know it.

When I dug into the top with the dremel tool, it was more of a resin based polymer with no fiber material mixed in. That being said, if it is a polycarbonate top, the paint could potentially be absorbed by the polycarbonate to an extent. That kind of material is porous and can absorb petroleum based solvents and paint, especially if they used a polycarbonate with a glass filled option for strength. Hopefully my engineering talk didn't confuse the heck out of everyone...

To answer your question, I did 2 wet coats of the top coat. I did have to go back on some spots and touch them up because it looked like it absorbed a little and you could see some white. Then I dusted the roof with the remainder of the paint I had. You could see my paths on the roof so I decided to change direction and dust the roof.

I updated my procedure in my last post. I forgot to mention some stuff about the texture.

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Finished up painting the hardtop last night. I didn't want to paint the inside but because I got some over spray in it, I decided to go for it. Ran up to Napa and had them mix up some 9B, Olimpic white paint that AMC put on their Jeeps. I dont know if this was the exact color but it was white and original to Jeep. It all turned out great with no issues! I haven't pulled the tape and plastic off yet. This weekend I am going to get the windows in. I hear this is pretty tough but its gonna happen. I think I need to cut and glue the rear window seal, its a little to big.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3021.jpg   IMG_3020.jpg   IMG_3018.jpg  

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 55 Old 08-31-2019, 05:07 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
I am not 100% sure its plastic... I found on a forum here awhile back that earlier tops were a one piece polycarbonate then switched to fiberglass at some point. I hope someone can clarify this because I could have a aftermarket top and not know it.

It's according to what year your top was manufactured as to whether it is injection molded polycarbonate or SMC fiberglass.

The polycarbonate hardtops were produced from 1976-1979 or 80. Somewhere around late 79 a lot of changes were being made to the CJ series and some of those changes included the hardtops. 1980-1986 and beyond, the tops were produced using compression molded fiberglass or SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) fiberglass mixture.

The easiest way to tell what type of top you have, polycarbonate or fiberglass, is if it has the four piece seams on the outside, between the side window and door frame opening as well as the rear section all the way around. Tops without the seams are polycarbonate, with the seams, is fiberglass.

Example: picture below is a factory SMC fiberglass top I acquired off of a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ Hardtop (3).jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #34 of 55 Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for the info Keith. Mine is polycarbonate then. I don't have the lines you showed in your pictures. It make sense to me now that the PO probably got the doors with his hard top and they are a pre 80s style door. My Jeep is an 85 but I honestly prefer the twist handle doors vs the paddle flap door

CJ-7 build
post #35 of 55 Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Question, since you worked with SEM products at NAPA.

I have Honey interiors on all of my CJ's, and the SEM vinyl spray coating in Camel is a perfect color match for Honey. Can you get an SEM product in that color that would hold up well as a topcoat on a hard top?

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #36 of 55 Old 09-06-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
Can you get an SEM product in that color that would hold up well as a topcoat on a hard top?
I am not really sure to be honest. I was just a delivery driver for my local Napa for many years going through college. I just knew of the products that came through on a regular basis. I don't know if SEM makes a color in like you described but If you have a local Napa or auto parts store that mixes paint, they might be able to color match a single stage top coat that might not require a clear coat. If they have a person who mixes paints regularly and really knows his stuff, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

I used a single stage top coat on the inside of my hardtop (a few posts up). It turned out kinda glossy but I don't really mind it beings it's inside of the Jeep. For an outside semi-gloss matte finish you will probably need a flattener. That may require a clear coat with the flatter mixed in because the flattener could not be mixed into the color if I remember correctly.

Hopefully this helps!
wm69 likes this.

CJ-7 build
post #37 of 55 Old 09-07-2019, 11:30 AM
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

nice work so far, love the AMC blue engine and the textured top....

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
post #38 of 55 Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Hey everyone, its been awhile since the last update. I haven't done a lot other than reassemble the hardtop which only took a few days. Installing the glass was the biggest pain but they are in and everything went together as it should!

Over the past few weeks I have been helping my dad with his M715, full size Jeep. We needed his truck bed to be stripped of the paint so we took it to a a metal cleaning place thats local. To help with the price, I sent my grill, and both fenders to be acid dipped as well. I kid you not, my jeep was painted 7 times (including original paint and all the primers and clears) My plan is to follow Adams fender repair that he did on his thread. Its the only way it will be rust free again. Those should be back sometime this week hopefully.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the finished top. Yes, I know I'm missing screws that hold the lift gate latches... I need more lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3096.jpg   IMG_3098.jpg   IMG_3097.jpg   IMG_3100.jpg  
caseypotts and keith460 like this.

CJ-7 build
post #39 of 55 Old 09-25-2019, 07:17 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Looks brand new.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #40 of 55 Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Wow, looks incredible, Josh- Awesome job!

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #41 of 55 Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks guys! I've put some hours into it, thats for sure. Even though I may not use the hard top a lot, It's nice to have.

I'm still saving for that rot free tub from Rudy's... anyone have any suggestions other than the fenders on what to start working on while I wait for that tub? Windshield repair is out... just going to spend the money for a OEM one from Rudy thats in good shape. Just looking for suggestions from those who have done a frame off restoration or referb job

CJ-7 build
post #42 of 55 Old 09-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The best advice I can think of right now is that you need all the room you can get for working on your Jeep so why don't I store your new looking hardtop for the next few years!!!

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #43 of 55 Old 09-26-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
The best advice I can think of right now is that you need all the room you can get for working on your Jeep so why don't I store your new looking hardtop for the next few years!!!
Jim, you have till Friday to find me! Saturday it is going to an undisclosed location until it is needed again lol There are some nicer looking OEM hardtops in my area on facebook market place... I'd gladly refurbish and sell you one??

CJ-7 build
post #44 of 55 Old 09-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
Jim, you have till Friday to find me! Saturday it is going to an undisclosed location until it is needed again lol There are some nicer looking OEM hardtops in my area on facebook market place... I'd gladly refurbish and sell you one??
Be careful of that! I know where allot of members live due to the fact I've sold allot of shackle hangers to them.
You might be on to something with selling rebuilt hardtops though. You've done as nice a job as I've seen.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #45 of 55 Old 09-26-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You might be on to something with selling rebuilt hardtops though. You've done as nice a job as I've seen.
And with those striker plate drawings I did for you, you might expand that address book! lol

Finding them for the right price is the key. I see the tops from anywhere between 400-800. With the new lift gate and paint, I've got probably $500 into my hard top. I didn't really think about how much I have into the top until now and if I sold one like mine I would have to sell it for some big $$$s.

CJ-7 build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in