Josh's 1985 CJ7 Restoration - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 20Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 55 Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
I wanted to go with the AMC blue instead of the original black. They went away from blue because this was the transition of AMC to Chrysler/ Mopar. Someone can fact check me on that though. I bought some 2k ceramic engine paint from Eastwood and it looks pretty darn close to AMC blue. I followed all prep instructions and sprayed away. Waited a few weeks to assemble just to make sure all paint was hardened with the cooler temperatures.
Nice work. I think they went black around 80/82 well before the Chrysler take over. One story is that it was to disguise the oil leaks...hmmm.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 Old 07-16-2019, 03:21 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
One story is that it was to disguise the oil leaks

That and the fact the color black was cheaper than AMC blue. Colored pigmented paints cost money and AMC was cutting cost across the board on everything possible. And I believe 1982 was the last year for AMC blue colored engines. I don't think there is a car manufacture today who uses anything else but black on the engines except very expensive exotic cars.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #18 of 55 Old 07-16-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Painting it black to hide the oil leaks? Genius! I get it though, pigmented paints were expensive. Especially blue pigments. I guess that art class in college did pay off after all

Following up with the engine, I cleaned the fan, brackets, and pulleys with mineral spirits and painted black as you can see above. The exhaust manifold was sand blasted and cleaned, lots of carbon build up was inside of the manifold. KBS Coatings makes a header/ manifold primer and paint, that's what I used and I baked it in the over per the instructions. Putting the manifold back on was tricky, I had to heat it up to get it on due to it shrinking while off of the head.

The intake manifold was cleaned with mineral spirits, then media blasted with plastic pellets. The plastic pellets are a great non destructive blasting method for parts like this. In my opinion, It made it look brand new without pitting or scuffing like sand would. I just need to get some plugs to keep the coolant in the manifold.

post #19 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Managed to get the engine married to the trans and sitting in the frame. Heres a picture before all the pulleys and stuff were on it. Forgive me with some of these blurry pictures... Im not sure why they are that way.

To the forum lurkers and subscribers, at this point in time you are caught up with my build! I've had some roadblocks lately (paying school loans) and trying to get on the right path. I'd rather be paying off school while I'm freshly graduated. I sure you Jeepers would understand.

I need a new tub and I am watching Rudy's closely. He's three hours north of me so hopefully I can get something good and workable. Right now it has been a steady 90+ degrees with lots of humidity so working in the garage is awful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2076.jpg  
post #20 of 55 Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Hard Top repairs

Large post ahead!

Lately it has been stupid hot to work on anything so I have been gathering parts for the future. This last weekend has cooled off and I got to address some issues with my hard top. I popped the windows out and found out I have a fiberglass lift gate that was cracked. I found a forum on here by Axhammer where he was messing with a new lift gate. I bought one from KeyParts and it looked great. So here's what I did, pictures are in order.

1. Cleaned the top and inside with Dawn dish soap and Purple Power.

2. Disassembled all the hardware, sandblasted and painted

3. My top seems to be an earlier model. It looks to be all one piece (unless someone did excellent filling work to hide seams). The roof had injection molding ports that the factory tried to fill up to make smooth. Over the years UV rays and overall age made these fill spots fall out. I took my Dremel tool and cleaned these spots up to fill with epoxy resin.

4. 3M makes several options of resin but the most common seems to be the 04747 super fast repair adhesive. My local NAPA had this and the applicator. The working time of this epoxy is 20 seconds so I just slathers that stuff on and went to the next spot.

5. After letting it cure to the allowable working time, I took my orbital sander and sanded it down so I could finish with block sanding. Of course there could be some minor imperfections, so I used some 3M red putty filler to fill in the small spots. Sanded until smooth.

6. On to the lift gate. The metal one looks great! I did a test fit and it fit up nice even with the hardware attached. I did notice that the spot welds along the side of the gate was visible. I took the Dremel with a sanding wheel and ground them smooth. I followed that up with some Bondo and block sanding.

7. I used some Zincom primer from NAPA for its metal etching properties.

I am hoping to paint the whole top here in the next few weeks. Between this and helping my father with his M715 restoration, spraying space is limited.
Attached Thumbnails
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ccb.jpg   58553481926__61E5AD76-4A03-4A70-B2F0-DF139760B6FB.jpg   IMG_2812.jpg   58561407423__A5C20EF5-AEA9-4A07-9ECD-7CBF268E3FDC.jpg   IMG_2811.jpg  

58569738434__738FF123-56E0-4B61-B109-814F89474689.jpg   IMG_2894.jpg   58726270396__DC6C0989-ED73-44C0-BBF8-268FCA9172C4.jpg   IMG_2914.jpg  
post #21 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 12:54 AM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

That engine looks beautiful in AMC blue. Nice Work!!
post #22 of 55 Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

JMHO... are you leaving the top sanded/ smooth?

Not a fan, I actually think it detracts from the overall look when they are smooth.

It does look better w/ a flat paint vs gloss, but I feel they should have texture as well.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #23 of 55 Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
JMHO... are you leaving the top sanded/ smooth?
Hoss,

Nope. The top will be textured! I have searched pretty hard for a textured paint. Sherman Williams has a paint that you can mix but it is expensive... The hardener they require is over $200 a gallon... the paint itself is about $100. NOT doing that lol

Instead, I am going to use SEM 39854 Texture coating. I used to work at a NAPA auto parts that mixed paint and we sold this stuff. Did some research and bought a quart. The spots I repaired have been sanded down unfortunately but I wanted it textured.

My plan is to leave the rest of the texturing and to just paint over it. It wont be noticed in my opinion but I am going to test it first.

I'm with you though, I cannot stand the smooth tops.. even on the new Jeeps they just don't look right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2916.jpg  
post #24 of 55 Old 08-16-2019, 10:10 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Good call.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #25 of 55 Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

I've been looking for a good textured paint for my top, and unfamiliar with SEM. Please post up some images once you wrap up your project-

Thanks,
Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #26 of 55 Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
I've been looking for a good textured paint for my top, and unfamiliar with SEM. Please post up some images once you wrap up your project-
Will do! That was my original plan. I know there are a lot of different ways to fix these tops, texture them and what not. This is a totally new approach on here.

Just be patient with the updates... It has been stupid hot, humid and rainy. It's hard to spray in this weather for obvious reasons so If I do, its early morning when it's cool. I am going to try for this weekend if I have the time.

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 55 Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Ahhh, this takes me back. The rust, the rust, the rust! Your doing a great job. Don't get in a hurry.
Now somebody pass that popcorn. And yes, my 82 came with a factory blue engine. I believe they called it seafoam blue from the supplier.
Deer-Slayer_5 likes this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Hard top TEXTURE repair

Alright everyone, this afternoon I was able to get the textured paint on the hard top and paint it black! I must say, at first I didn't think the texture was going to make it look original. I was wrong! I am very pleased with the result!! If I had not painted it myself, I could be fooled into thinking it was a top that never saw daylight. So here is what I did!

1) I cleaned the top off of any dust with a dry towel and then ran a tack rag over it. Mixed my textured paint up for spraying. The specific paint I used in my previous post did not have to be reduced but it can be if needed. I didn't use any reducer.

2) Test spray! It took me about 10 minutes to get the spray I wanted. I was just using the purple gun from Harbor Freight. I think we ended up using a pressure under 5 psi. Yeah, lower pressure gave me bigger drops like what was currently on my hard top. If someone does this method, play around with it before you spray it. Also, always have a rag handy to clean the spray tip. The paint seemed to build up a little after a few minutes.

3) Spraying the top. It does not have to be fully coated black, you will want to put a top coat over the textured paint. I found it best to be about 6-8 inches away with my given pressure. Again, this is something I had to play with. When spraying, I found it helpful to spray kinda random, shaking the gun and sometimes found myself going in circles but this is something that you can do if you wish. With this texture paint, I got a cotton candy like strands that came out the spray gun. This is normal. This is the gun air pressure game. Too much air pressure will make it stringy.

4) It says the flash time is 5-10 minutes. I let it sit about 30 just so it was dry. I have some "Hot Rod" black paint made by SEM. It was a kit I bought at Napa. It has all you need and 1 quart did the whole top. I mixed that up and it was applied like regular automotive paint. (following their directions other than not using their primer) Before you spray the top coat, be sure to take a dry towel and wipe off the top, following with a tack rag. Those strands I mentioned in step 3 are basically dust. It is also good habit to tack rag before you paint, especially outdoors like what I did.

Some discoveries I found while spraying:
The top coat that I sprayed seemed to soak into the top. My top is believed to be from the early to mid 70's. It's plastic and not fiberglass. Mine also has no seams like the 80's tops have. Does anyone know the history of the hard top materials?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2981.jpg   IMG_2982.jpg   IMG_2983.jpg   IMG_2993.jpg   IMG_2996.jpg  

IMG_2990.jpg   IMG_2995.jpg  

CJ-7 build

Last edited by Deer-Slayer_5; 08-25-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Steps 3 and 4, I added some more information.
post #29 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Man that texture looks great, really impressed with the final finish Really appreciate you posting your procedure as well, as I'll be trying to emulate your results.

So, your top is plastic and absorbed the paint? How many top coats did you apply?

Thanks,
Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #30 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

What size ball fits the hitch on that trailer? I want to make sure I have the right one with me when I come and pick the top up!! Nice
John Strenk and Deer-Slayer_5 like this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in