Jim's new hybrid Scrambler build- tons of questions coming! - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1486 of 1972 Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Here's Dan's answer with pics over at cnczone.com:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/1048128-post23.html

The New Hybrid Scrambler Build :-)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old '87 YJ LT1 350 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1487 of 1972 Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Doesn't THC keep the torch head above the product being cut?

I just got this answer back from cnczone-

"Originally Posted by Danno
My torch head os held on by 4 magnets, and 2 locating pins. If it jams up, it just falls off"
Maybe yours is fancier then mine, mine gets set to zero and I set the height I want the tip at when cutting and it just holds that height, doesn't adjust to the metal.

Cameron Gunlock
1981 CJ8 -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-Coast-Krawlers/139075302856004
post #1488 of 1972 Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

FANCY he says.....

Building my junk with more junk, so Im always on the look out for more junk....Free to cheap preferably. :D
My junk https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/survivor-project-driveway-frame-swap-33s-build-1280626/index3.html

post #1489 of 1972 Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Maybe yours is fancier then mine, mine gets set to zero and I set the height I want the tip at when cutting and it just holds that height, doesn't adjust to the metal.
I hadn't been clear, myself, about lifting the torch between cuts and how it worked with THC (torch height control) during cuts. I'm closer now to seeing the bigger picture... I think you nay be able to retro fit for torch lift, maybe... Sometimes it is called touch-and-go or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
FANCY he says.....

post #1490 of 1972 Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
I hadn't been clear, myself, about lifting the torch between cuts and how it worked with THC (torch height control) during cuts. I'm closer now to seeing the bigger picture... I think you nay be able to retro fit for torch lift, maybe... Sometimes it is called touch-and-go or something like that.

Oh, yes, mine does that, touch and go and lifts between cuts, but I was talking about dragging while it is cutting. The material does move, especially sheetmetal.

Cameron Gunlock
1981 CJ8 -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-Coast-Krawlers/139075302856004
post #1491 of 1972 Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Here is a picture of the goodies that have arrived so far.

Brackets for geared reduction/motor mounts, ganty brackets for x,y and z, geared pulleys, concentric and eccentric bushings, v-bearings (surprisingly pricey), springs, z axis, touch-and-go brackets, belts ...

That little pile on the horse blanket is almost $1000. Slightly less than half of the cost is hardware. I'm held up for the time being while the not-so-helpful distributor for the V-Rail beam and track learns how to return phone calls or answer email. It's been a week of unanswered messages. The guy has my VISA number and perhaps he's making his own "theme" purchases with it... All I want to do is order out of Seattle- they are happy to answer the phone, emails and take my hard earned money!

I've ordered up the Mach 3 and Sheetcam software, too. It doesn't run in Linux but everyone who uses the apps seems to be happy with what they get out the two apps. Besides, as it turns out EMC2 (the popular Linux based CNC system) doesn't talk nicely with the Dragoncut-Bladerunner motor hardware/electronics package I've purchased. So, the software system is all settled now!

I've pested the fellow who supplied the brackets and all of the geared reduction design and he's been great answering all of my questions with patience.

I still don't see how the hardware will function for the Z torch touch-and-go, so I'm really excited to dig into everything.

post #1492 of 1972 Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Oh, yes, mine does that, touch and go and lifts between cuts, but I was talking about dragging while it is cutting. The material does move, especially sheetmetal.
I looks like you can get height control for your system if you want it, too.

http://plasmacam.com/digitalheightcontrol.php

post #1493 of 1972 Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Jim what's going on up there in the frozen north?

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #1494 of 1972 Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering the same thing too. Mabey he's too busy crusin around in the WTF-J....

Building my junk with more junk, so Im always on the look out for more junk....Free to cheap preferably. :D
My junk https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/survivor-project-driveway-frame-swap-33s-build-1280626/index3.html
post #1495 of 1972 Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing too. Mabey he's too busy crusin around in the WTF-J....
Different Jeep, here's the WTF-J in N. Michigan...

WTF-J - Bobbed Alu CJ-8 w/6.0L Gen-III, Atlas, AiRock, & ARB'd D60s
post #1496 of 1972 Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM

1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Just a WAG but I bet Jim is busy with the new fab toy

Dave's 78 Build
post #1497 of 1972 Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Jim what's going on up there in the frozen north?
Hello Jim. Thank you for asking. Things have been busy Work, mostly. We are into a new semester at school so I've been busy with many new students and what new classes bring to planning and ... what was I saying?

I've been following your work and on the CJ and really enjoy every post. Your back must be coming along I hope that is the case. Otherwise, let me know and I'll buy some stock in the Tylenol company 'cause you must be using some of the stuff!

The weather here has actually been very warm. Barely any snow at our elevation. The grass is green and the front yard is clear of the white stuff. Our Italian exchange student living with us told us today that Rome has had snow- that explains where our snow went to. They can have the stuff!

Quote:
Hi Eric. Not cruising in it yet. Just dreaming. Every now and then I see a nice rig and re-think my priorities... Naw, the priorities are in line, but the line is just too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepish View Post
I'm still working towards a unit like yours. Thanks for the motivation pic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Just a WAG but I bet Jim is busy with the new fab toy
Hi Dave. You know it!

I picked up the last of the speciality V-Groove metal stock today from the UPS drop-point just south of the US border. I had been worried that it may not make it here. PBC-Linear had announced that they are discontinuing this product. I'm glad I got the order in when I did. It will make for a nice smooth running gantry.

Now I need to figure out how large to make the table. I bought gear rack and rail stock to build a table as big as 5x10... Like Jim has said though, I'm short on space so maybe 4x8 is more reasonable. Dunno yet.

I've assigned my plasma table to my intermediate and seniors as one of the Design projects for term 3. I did the same for my garage so I'm hopeful to get the design done in a month or so. No rush.

Nice job on your wiring so far. I had a big pile of left-overs after transplanting the LT1 into my YJ. more came out than remained. Your job is much tidier than mine was though. I never cleaned/degreased my harness, I just pruned it. I'll try to do as tidy a job as you on my 302. Well, now that I've said that let's just wait and see how mine really does turn out!

post #1498 of 1972 Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
contdevelop

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where in Northern Michigan? I grew up there and love the wheeling and outdoors there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepish View Post
post #1499 of 1972 Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Where in Northern Michigan? I grew up there and love the wheeling and outdoors there.
On the logging roads and snowmobile trails outside of Big Bay. It was a blast.

WTF-J - Bobbed Alu CJ-8 w/6.0L Gen-III, Atlas, AiRock, & ARB'd D60s
post #1500 of 1972 Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The weather here has actually been very warm. Barely any snow at our elevation. The grass is green and the front yard is clear of the white stuff. Our Italian exchange student living with us told us today that Rome has had snow- that explains where our snow went to. They can have the stuff!
Talked to my mom yesterday (they live 7 miles west of Nelson on the north shore) and she said it was raining. TO be honest even here the weather has been quite mild all winter we only had one cold snap and it was only around -30C for a couple of days and that was in December. Normally now would be the worst.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete

Tags
hybrid scrambler , scrambler tj frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in