Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jim's 85 CJ7 rebuild

613K views 4K replies 198 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
After years of owning other kinds of 4 wheel drives and always wanting a Jeep I finally bought one about 10 years ago. It was a typical rust bucket. As bad as the body was rusted the frame only had some rust in the rear cross-member area. I drove it and worked on it for about 3 years and finally decided to take everything apart and start from the ground up.

I got the frame sandblasted and painted after making repairs that need to be made. Acquired a Ford T-18 and an Advance adapter to mate it to the Dana 300. My intentions were to rebuild a 302 that came out of a 68 Mustang but I bought a 95 5.0 HO from a salvage yard. I also wanted lower gears and some kind of lockers but really didn't want to put the money into the factory axles so I bought Ford 9" front and rear housings from Currie. That's about where I stopped about 4 years ago. Since then it has been taking up room in the shop. Last year I joined this forum and that really got me interested in the Jeep again. Now I've started working on it as time and money permit.

Anyway I figured I'd start a build thread on here. Here's some pictures of what things look like back when I took it apart.

Attachments

See less See more
#273 ·
Thanks Nick. Looking forward to seeing that frame all blasted!!

I finished the welds up today on the engine mounts and bolted them in and hey the motor didn't fall on the floor. :D I took some off of the driver's side mount that bolts to the block so the header wouldn't ever rub, it's now got more than an 1/8" clearance at the closest place.

Now that those are done, except the finish, I'll start working out some kind of rear crossmember mount. The factory skid is okay but I want to build something different that will have a removable skid plate. Also if it's possible I want to make some mounts that will be used later on for a rear traction bar setup. Hopefully they will attach to the crossmember some way.

Attachments

#277 ·
I'm so tempted to take the Cobra motor out of my Mustang and put it in the CJ7. I like the Mustang just as much as I like the CJ7 though. I'll see what kind of power I can get out of the 4.2L, it's not made to race and I'd be scared having that much power in it with as heavy as my right foot is..lol

#278 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. They have their flaws, I just didn't zoom in on them that close.

I was in a shop yesterday inquiring about having the parts for the mounts laser cut and formed on an air brake press. There wouldn't be as many seams that way. I also need to make a jig for locating all of the parts for welding. I want to make sure everything lines up before I do that though. A jig will be several hours of work and design. I am going to pursue selling them though as soon as I know my design and locations work.

Then hopefully there will be others to build.

#280 ·
I'm starting on the shock towers Monday. I need to get some tubing and plate steel. Think I'll make both the stoock size and the 4" taller as well. My thoughts are to make the main part out of 1 1/2" square tubing, gusset that to a plate that fits up against the frame and over the top like the engine mounts. That will give me a place to fit the gussets.

#287 ·
great work jim.:thumbsup:

hhhhhmmmm lets see I'll take a set of jims high steer tie rods, some motor mounts and one of his still developing sets of cross members for motor mounts, tranny, and transfer case with the included skid plate that goes from the front bumper across all 3 cross members, frame to frame and just has a slit in it for the front drive shaft. :rofl:

#288 ·
Thanks!! You know I had forgotten about the tie rod I made. I'll blame my age. :D

Guess I need to get busy.

In case anyone is new to the thread I am now a vendor. After starting my build thread a while back there's been some interest in some of the mods I've made on my own CJ. I paid the vendors fee today and will be adding things to our website,Welcome Page, as time and money permits. One item that's on there now are the CJ spring shackle mounts. They are one this thread Custom Made CJ Spring Shackle Hangers. I have the website ready for that to be sold and will be making a production run of them starting late this week. They should be available the week of November 1st. There will be other products added as they become available, time to research and test, and money to buy material and tooling with. Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

#291 ·
You're right, any ideas?

I gotta ask, when ya gonna start on the wiring?
The wiring will probably come towards the end. This engine has not been started in over 6 years and I really don't know what it's like as far as condition, bought it at a salvage yard. Most likely it'll at the least get an overhaul done on it and you know how that goes, while it's apart you gotta add this and that. Never ending.

It might be a good idea to get it wired before the rebuild in case I do something wrong, would be easier to nail down what it is that way. That offer of help still there? :D

#294 ·
No, it's all stock. I thought of doing some changes but found out the computer for the 94-95 mustang 5.0 engines are fickle to changes , unlike the earlier models. I've read this from some of the mustang forums and spoke with an engine builder in Phoenix AZ who owns a mustang shop. These mustang forums have dedicated pages to the 94-95 years.

In my earlier post to you about the wire harness, it did take some time to whittle it down. Knowing you’re a machinist and seeing your fab work, you already have the mindset to tackle the harness. It’s just time invested in another aspect of the build. :cheers2:

#295 ·
No, it's all stock. I thought of doing some changes but found out the computer for the 94-95 mustang 5.0 engines are fickle to changes , unlike the earlier models. I've read this from some of the mustang forums and spoke with an engine builder in Phoenix AZ who owns a mustang shop. These mustang forums have dedicated pages to the 94-95 years.

In my earlier post to you about the wire harness, it did take some time to whittle it down. Knowing you're a machinist and seeing your fab work, you already have the mindset to tackle the harness. It's just time invested in another aspect of the build. :cheers2:
I've heard they don't respond as well as the older engines. That part I don't like. Sounds like the 5.0 forums would be a great source of information.

I need to find the computer for the engine. I did not get that in the deal. Maybe get one at a swap meet? With the offer of help I think I'll save my money and not buy the painless kit and try and tackle it myself. There are some good diagrams showing things too and that will help. I'll be asking plenty of questions when the time comes! :thumbsup:

#296 ·
My windshield frame came in the brown truck today. I saw it advertised here on the forum. mr_penguin had it for sale. Mine is rusted way too bad to fix and I've been looking for one. Collins Bros wanted $700.00 for a used one without the windshield! I also wanted to find a factory one because of all of the negative feedback I've seen from guys that have bought aftermarket.

The deal went the way you want one to go. No surprises, it was even better than his pictures showed it to be. And he sent plenty of pictures not trying to hide anything. He was great to deal with and everything he told me was just the way it was. It's nice to be able to deal with such an honest person!! :2thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Adam!!!

Attachments

#299 ·
Yeah, green is about my favorite color... Kawasaki green!!!!

Hunting rig, huh??? how about about jungle camo... you know, to hide the dents and dings... hehehehehe with my jacked body, that's what I should do!!! I do like OD green!!!

#302 ·
Yeah, green is about my favorite color... Kawasaki green!!!!

Hunting rig, huh??? how about about jungle camo... you know, to hide the dents and dings... hehehehehe with my jacked body, that's what I should do!!! I do like OD green!!!
You'll be getting paint on before I will so can we see samples on your's? :D

No problem Jim, glad it could be put to good use. Looking forward to seeing your build come together.
The windshield frame was one of the things I've really been wanting to find. I'm looking forward to seeing it get finished. Time and effort. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Lime green, bet Besrk would love it :D
I bet he would too. :D

#304 ·
It's been high time to get started on the other end of the drivetrain. Getting the transfer and tranny mounted. This is all going to be made from scratch too. For one thing I have never liked the factory mount and torque bar set-up. When I bought my adapter for the T-18 it used a mount that I cared for even less. It looked wimpy to me. So I've been laying in bed at night thinking of ways to make what I want, had a dream making it the other night even!! Yes I know, I'm obsessed, but so are a bunch of you too. :D

I finally started today and now it's time to eat supper so I thought I'd post a few pictures, maybe you guys have some better ideas too. I do listen. Using the same DOM and bushing sizes the engine mount uses, easier to find replacements. I also want to put a skid plate on all of this too.

Attachments

#305 ·
#306 ·
I have to laugh... you are absolutely killing me!!! :bowdown:

I thought I was being smart building (TRYING) a torque arm out of lawn mower blades. All I did was smoke my drill bits! You make this look so dad-gone easy, Jim. Better gear up for some torque arms!! An "out-of-the-box" heavy-duty torque arm would probably be a great piece to add to your inventory. :trophy1:

#308 ·
How do you spell GYAHHHHHH????? That is AWESOME!

I'm not clear on what you're doing lowering the tranny? Are you doing that now, or contemplating that you are going to have to? If so, you will probably want to wait until you have the weight of the body on the frame before you make it lower. The DS angle will likely change once you compress the springs. Maybe you have already covered that and I missed it, or maybe I'm on the wrong page again!

#310 ·
I haven't lowered it. The way the other mount was made, the one supplied with my adapter, it was taller than the one I'm making. This allows me to get the skid plate closer to the tranny. What I was talking about doing was lifting the tranny up a little higher even to gain some more clearance. That might create problems in the driveline though, probably will. Most likely it'll stay right where it's at. Right now the weight of the thing is on the springs too, or as much as has been put back on so far. I still have the interior, roll cage, and all of the body. Do we ever get done with these things???:D

:rofl:I think your rapidly getting to were it really will be a one piece skid that holds every thing spanning frame to frame and transfer to radiator:rofl:

seriously it all looks good ;)
I like the idea of having one big skid plate or maybe make it in sections. Man did I miss out the other day!! One of my customers scrapped out 2 sheets of 7 gauge stainless, he said if I'd have been there an hour sooner he'd have gave them to me.

Thanks for the comments guys.

#311 ·
Looks like the progress is coming along nicely. I've been sick for a while. Amazing what you can miss in a short amount of time on here. I PMed you. Haven't been thinking about them front shock mounts any have ya? ;) I'm feeling really good now and can't wait to get back on the Jeep full force!

#313 ·
That's a great idea. Brackets like that need to be well made. There's allot of stress on them being on the outside of the frame. Much to do in the way of making aftermarket parts. I can sure see why the big places need extra help.

Been working on other things except the Jeep this week. I wanted to get started on the shackle hangers and have been able to do that. Today I made some pretty good progress and hopefully tomorrow it'll run parts all day now that I am fairly sure it won't crash a cutter. I posted these over on the other thread but thought I'd put them here too.

Attachments

#314 ·
What's THIS!? :confused: Shiny metal with cutting lube all over the place! Where's the action? :rolleyes: How do we know YOU did it? ;)

Just kidding! :highfive: You have some awesome tools, Bud.

#315 ·
What's THIS!? :confused: Shiny metal with cutting lube all over the place! Where's the action? :rolleyes: How do we know YOU did it? ;)

Just kidding! :highfive: You have some awesome tools, Bud.
This is kinda like the theme song to the Duke's of Hassard. Remember how we could see Waylon's hands playing the guitar but we never saw his face? So how do we know Waylon was playing? :D

Well Scott the tools are what helps make the living here. Not having things to work with is a pretty tough way to run a shop too. I need a shop like on the Iron Man movie so I could leave and somehow all the work gets done. :D