LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Cavjock22

1981 CJ7 

Jeep won’t start- wtf

Folks
81 cj7 with weber carb.
Jeep was running fine last time used.
Put in barn. Was about 3 weeks before last use.
Went to fire it up.. Would not fire. I took filter off and dumped a bit of gas in throttle body and she fired up for a sec or two.. Took fuel line off carb.. Cranked engine and got fuel from pump.. Repeated fuel down throttle body and again fired up for sec or two. Weber is only 4 months old.. New fuel tank also. Last time I ran jeep I did monkey with the idle screw a bit.. Nit sure how this could of messed up something. Did not have time to trouble shoot further.
Thoughts please. Carb problem ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

You can get it to run with fuel down the carb.
Obviously a fuel issue.

Insure the filter isn't the issue.

You have fuel up to the carb, so fuel system from the carb to the tank is working.

Sounds like a stuck inlet needle in the carb (say thank you crappy gas).

First, be sure to reattach the fuel line and try priming/cranking again to insure the fuel isn't making it to the carb. A sometimes fix is to tap on the carb cover where the needle and seat is and every once in a while the needle will come loose. Otherwise, you may have to pop the lid and inspect the needle and seat. I just had to do this with a friends quad on Friday night. The needle was "glued" into the seat and had to be soaked out.
pedal2themetai likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Cavjock22

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
You can get it to run with fuel down the carb.
Obviously a fuel issue.

Insure the filter isn't the issue.

You have fuel up to the carb, so fuel system from the carb to the tank is working.

Sounds like a stuck inlet needle in the carb (say thank you crappy gas).

First, be sure to reattach the fuel line and try priming/cranking again to insure the fuel isn't making it to the carb. A sometimes fix is to tap on the carb cover where the needle and seat is and every once in a while the needle will come loose. Otherwise, you may have to pop the lid and inspect the needle and seat. I just had to do this with a friends quad on Friday night. The needle was "glued" into the seat and had to be soaked out.

I will try this.. thank you

post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 AM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavjock22 View Post
Folks
81 cj7 with weber carb.
Weber is only 4 months old..
Thoughts please. Carb problem ?
If your Weber is from REDLINE you should call their tech support line. They can pull rabbits out of the hat to help your unique situation.

Or, like stated above pop the top off the carburetor and visually look at the needle and seat functioning, check the float height, 18mm from gasket to top of float in a vertical position, not horizontal, take off the 19mm/3/4" nut on the carburetor top, at the fuel inlet (see picture). This holds the plastic screen that may have some rust from your tank restricting or blocking fuel.

Just things to check that could limit your fuel delivery.

UTN
Attached Thumbnails
38 Mix screw.jpg  
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 12:31 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

As I recall, a few months ago you were "making oil", meaning you had a fuel leak into the engine. We (MATT) found your fuel filter had the return at the 6 o'clock position (bottom) and you were looking at the fuel pump for rupture and leaking into the engine. Also, Hoov suggested that the 32/36 you are running could have the throttle plate open too far siphoning the fuel out of the bowl.

What ever happened with all that? Do you have a real Weber or the knock off's with the black choke element?

UTN
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Filter Installation.jpg  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Cavjock22

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
If your Weber is from REDLINE you should call their tech support line. They can pull rabbits out of the hat to help your unique situation.

Or, like stated above pop the top off the carburetor and visually look at the needle and seat functioning, check the float height, 18mm from gasket to top of float in a vertical position, not horizontal, take off the 19mm/3/4" nut on the carburetor top, at the fuel inlet (see picture). This holds the plastic screen that may have some rust from your tank restricting or blocking fuel.

UTN
Thank you for the ideas.. I will back around the jeep on Thursday..
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Cavjock22

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
As I recall, a few months ago you were "making oil", meaning you had a fuel leak into the engine. We (MATT) found your fuel filter had the return at the 6 o'clock position (bottom) and you were looking at the fuel pump for rupture and leaking into the engine. Also, Hoov suggested that the 32/36 you are running could have the throttle plate open too far siphoning the fuel out of the bowl.

What ever happened with all that? Do you have a real Weber or the knock off's with the black choke element?

UTN
I’m still not sure on the making oil condition. I changed my oil last time down on the ranch.. I have not removed the fuel pump but still Monitoring closely.
I re-positioned my filter correctly. thanks
I am running a “real” weber..
Still considering the correct Weber or may go with holly f/i system.
uptillnow likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Cavjock22

1981 CJ7 

Quote:

UTN
Plastic screen was the culprit.. 5 min fix. Started right up after.
Now I just got to figure out where all the little crud came from.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavjock22 View Post
Plastic screen was the culprit.. 5 min fix. Started right up after.
Now I just got to figure out where all the little crud came from.

My guess would be the fuel tank.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in