Jeep died after fill up (fuel fitler) - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-01-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

Jeep died after fill up (fuel fitler)

Took the jeep on it's maiden voyage today, and everything was all good until I filled it up. Filled it up, and made the turn out of the gas station, and it died. Fuel pump runs just like it supposed to, but will not start. Runs if I pour gas in the carb. Is this a fuel filter problem. I am thinking that maybe I stirred up some crap in the bottom of the tank when I filled it up and caused this. I am going to change the filter tomorrow and see what happens. Any suggestions would be great?

My Jeep has a 350 SBC with electronic fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

In-tank pump or external? carb or fuel injected? does it pump out fuel if you disconnect the fuel line and run the pump?
trailhead2004 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 43 Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Try emptying the filter on to your hand, Give it a good tap.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

post #4 of 43 Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Need more info.

Where is the fuel pump? Electric pumps are better pushers than pullers.

Carb or FI?

What did you do with the return line to the tank?

Does it make a difference if the gas cap is on or off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 43 Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

It is carb. Pump is edelbrock electric pump located on the inside of the driver frame rail right in front of the tank. Have not removed filter yet, but I suspect it is the culprit. I am not sure how the return is ran (if it even has one). PO installed pump, I simply rewired it correctly with painless relay kit. Removing filter tomorrow to see if I have pressure at the filter.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 12:04 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
It is carb. Pump is edelbrock electric pump located on the inside of the driver frame rail right in front of the tank. Have not removed filter yet, but I suspect it is the culprit. I am not sure how the return is ran (if it even has one). PO installed pump, I simply rewired it correctly with painless relay kit. Removing filter tomorrow to see if I have pressure at the filter.
That is not a bad position. Mine is on the cross member in front of the tank.

The filter should be 'before' the pump.

I would take off the gas cap and try it.

Your gas tank has 3 lines going to it.

Fuel pickup.
Fuel return.
Vent - which goes to the charcoal canister....which I'm betting is not hooked up.

That vent is real important. And hurts nothing....and helps a lot.

My money is on a venting issue. If you pull the gas cap off and it starts pumping gas.....then you have a vent problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

Removed carb line and ran pump. Fuel is getting to carb. Put line back on and poured a little gas in carb and it fired up and ran like normal. Did have some blye/white smoke. What could be going on?
post #8 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

Found out another thing. If I remove the gas tank cap, it wont start again. I have to pour fuel into the bowls to get it to start. As long as I dont remove the cap, it starts and runs as many times as I turn the key. But as soon as I remove the cap and put it back, no start.
post #9 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Black smoke is rich fuel (flooded)
White/Blue is typically water and/or oil. You might have a leaky valve stem seal.

Run it for a few miles then pop the plugs out and look at them.

post #10 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Make sure the fuel line hose clamps really clamp and the fuel line isn't cracked.
Sounds kinda like the pump is pull'n in air from somedangplace.
Check the pump's fuel PSI.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #11 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

I drove it for over an hour today, and it ran like a top. Seems to be some kind of venting issue/carb loosing prime when I open the fuel filler neck. Doesn't have any problems until then.

I am going to drop the tank to put in a new sending unit as soon as I run this tank dry. I will check everything at the tank then.
post #12 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

First to check is the float bowl level, just taking the cap off and putting it back on won't drain the fuel (if the bowls are full) and cause the Jeep to not start/run only a few seconds. When you pull the fuel line from the carb, how strong is the fuel output with the pump on? If you put your finger over the outlet does it build pressure? Taking the cap off may release the small amount of pressure that is in the tank and cause the pump to loose prime and dumping fuel in the bowls is filling them up enough to get the jeep running until the pump regains prime. Ideally the pump should be at/below the fuel level and if it is mounted high on the frame rail, that can be part of your issue.

post #13 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
First to check is the float bowl level, just taking the cap off and putting it back on won't drain the fuel (if the bowls are full) and cause the Jeep to not start/run only a few seconds. When you pull the fuel line from the carb, how strong is the fuel output with the pump on? If you put your finger over the outlet does it build pressure? Taking the cap off may release the small amount of pressure that is in the tank and cause the pump to loose prime and dumping fuel in the bowls is filling them up enough to get the jeep running until the pump regains prime. Ideally the pump should be at/below the fuel level and if it is mounted high on the frame rail, that can be part of your issue.
I don't think it's mounting location has anything to do with it. This Jeep has ran started and ran everytime I've turned the key until yesterday. The pump may be loosing prime, but it sure wouldn't re prime without a little help yesterday. Right now it is running great, but I am going to have to figure this issue out soon.
post #14 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 04:38 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Hope your exhaust pipe is on the other side from the FP.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #15 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Took the jeep on it's maiden voyage today
Quote:
I don't think it's mounting location has anything to do with it. This Jeep has ran started and ran everytime I've turned the key until yesterday. The pump may be loosing prime, but it sure wouldn't re prime without a little help yesterday. Right now it is running great, but I am going to have to figure this issue out soon.

Ah, guess we have different definitions of maiden voyage then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in