Jeep Cj7 and Rampage Complete Soft Top Kit 68035 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2021, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
brilliancenp
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Jeep Cj7 and Rampage Complete Soft Top Kit 68035

I tried to find a post like this somewhere prior to purchasing this top but I never found anything saying that it wouldn't fit. I found posts that said it was less than stellar, and cheap parts but for < $400 new from amazon and on a rebuild that has been going on for years now, I figured why not, I can always upgrade later, I just need a top!

Well I have news for you. I have a 1979 Jeep CJ7 and it DOES NOT FIT. Not even close, in fact. I will say the quality of the hardware seemed just fine and it would have worked just fine. The quality of the top and windows was great actually. The shipping and packaging was top notch. The issue is that the top uses a slider that goes from the INSIDE part of the brackets that you install on the side and top of the bucket. Everything installed just fine until you try to slide on the supports. There is NO clearance. There is no way to slide this top past the roll bar as it comes down to meet the bucket. There is no way to even get this top in full extension because the notch in the back where the back support bar would sit when the top is fully up is covered by the roll bar.

I have put pictures at this link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a3jAwFLbEbS22BP67

I am not sure how they sell this as a CJ7 top. I even sent them an email with questions because maybe they sent the wrong top. I wanted to give them a chance prior to me returning it to Amazon. The reviews said they had great customer service, but I received no response.

This time I am going with a Bestop. It is over twice the price but I notice that they use a hinge on top of the edge of the tub and nothing that would have issues clearing the rollbar.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Your roll bar is to tight to the rails on the jeep. Should be about 1/2" clearance between the rail and roll bar. I have the same top on mine with no issues. I did break one of the plastic sliders when removing the top hardware for summer last year and they sent me all 4 at no cost very quickly.

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
brilliancenp
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Goof to know man, thanks! Hopefully that will help others in the future. I sent mine back, to get the bolts out and adjust my rollbar would be a great undertaking. I'm sure it will be done at some point but it's the only part of the jeep that I didn't mess with when we stripped it down to the frame. Perhaps if I ever replace the tub, which will happen at some point. Thanks again!

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2021, 02:53 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Your roll bar is early 1979 that was still bolted to the sides of the tub and a straight vertical U-tubing. Later 1979 production of CJ's, the roll bar became floor and wheel house mounted and slightly angled back vertical U-tubing that was used until end of 1986.
I guess the Rampage top you have are only meant for late 1979-86 Jeep CJ-7 then?

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2021, 04:10 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
My '79 CJ5 has a manufacture date of October 1978 - Brampton, Canada. The roll bar, as Keith states, is bolted to the
sides of the tub on top of the wheel houses. I looked at the OP's CJ7 photos and the roll bar is butted right up against
the tub. On my '79 CJ5 I have a gap between the roll bar and tub - both front and back - of around a half an inch or so.

Is this a factory difference in the early '79 CJ5 / CJ7? See attached photo - not the best. Will get a better photo posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Photo 13 - 2-27-20.jpg  

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2021, 05:03 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane4 View Post
On my '79 CJ5 I have a gap between the roll bar and tub - both front and back - of around a half an inch or so.

There is about a 1-3/8" gap on later models between roll bar and body tub.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in