Jeep cj7 drivetrain fluid change intervals - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Jeep cj7 drivetrain fluid change intervals

I have an 84 cj7 and need to know the fluid change intervals for the drivetrain ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
I have an 84 cj7 and need to know the fluid change intervals for the drivetrain ?
Did you download the TSM. I think Matt posted the link for you in one of your threads.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-07-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Quote:
Did you download the TSM. I think Matt posted the link for you in one of your threads.
I think I remember now. I'll check

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 11:39 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Modern fluids, modern intervals.
You can look up just about any car's fluid interval and apply that to your Jeep. Most are about 100,000 miles on transmission, T case, and diffs. Auto transmissions are in the 30 to 50K range (full flush), shorter if you're beating on it or towing.

Remember, always inspect the levels regularly.

If you are wheeling and things get wet, or you find moisture build up during your level checks, you will have to modify your interval.

Don't forget to service your spindle bearings as well.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Modern fluids, modern intervals.
You can look up just about any car's fluid interval and apply that to your Jeep. Most are about 100,000 miles on transmission, T case, and diffs. Auto transmissions are in the 30 to 50K range (full flush), shorter if you're beating on it or towing.

Remember, always inspect the levels regularly.

If you are wheeling and things get wet, or you find moisture build up during your level checks, you will have to modify your interval.

Don't forget to service your spindle bearings as well.
Interesting, are you a mechanic in the army ?

post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 01:28 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Unless leaking or you do alot of water crossing, you shouldn't need to check your levels but once a year. Fluid checks should be done along with wheel bearing checks once a year as preventive maintenance and and after trips that you've crossed water. Check all your vents too to make sure they aren't clogged, broken or missing too. As for changing the fluids, as long as you have fluid and it's clean you shouldn't have to change them but maybe every 5 years or so. Just top them off.
Shawn

Shawn
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 07:19 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Ck the levels with each engine oil change.
Takes a whole 5 minutes to do so, and can save lots of $$$$.
Lube the ball joints every other oil change unless you play in the water
Gary

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #8 of 11 Old 03-08-2020, 10:18 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
I spent almost ten years as a mechanic in a local 4X4 shop. I did manage to put much of that knowledge to use on various deployments, but only in an informal role (retired 11Z50).

Most (of our era vic's) TMs were printed before lubricant quality was refined to the level it is today. I can still remember popping valve covers all the way into the mid 90's literally caked with sludge and gummy 90WT filling various differentials.

Barring leakage or contamination, box fluids should last in an early CJ the same length of time as a modern Excursion, Suburban, or the like.

Thomas Payne
post #9 of 11 Old 03-09-2020, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Ck the levels with each engine oil change.
Takes a whole 5 minutes to do so, and can save lots of $$$$.
Lube the ball joints every other oil change unless you play in the water
Gary
Thanks

Quote:
Quote:
I spent almost ten years as a mechanic in a local 4X4 shop. I did manage to put much of that knowledge to use on various deployments, but only in an informal role (retired 11Z50).

Most (of our era vic's) TMs were printed before lubricant quality was refined to the level it is today. I can still remember popping valve covers all the way into the mid 90's literally caked with sludge and gummy 90WT filling various differentials.

Barring leakage or contamination, box fluids should last in an early CJ the same length of time as a modern Excursion, Suburban, or the like.
Cool thank you !

post #10 of 11 Old 03-09-2020, 12:37 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
11B48 & 11Z50
Serves as a Master Resilience Trainer / Instructor; provides resilience training for over # (platoon, company, battalion, group) Soldiers, NCOs, and Officers annually; develops, maintains, and updates course material; conducts training and evaluations of all (platoon, company, battalion, group) members for the purpose of resilience skills education and training, a component of the Army's Comprehensive Fitness Program; ensures accountability and positive control of course materials and maintains accountability of computers and related equipment valued in excess of $0.0; responsible for the health, welfare, and supervision of x number of Soldiers and NCOs.

Welcome home!
UTN (11B20-11C20 71-72)
post #11 of 11 Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
11B48 & 11Z50
Serves as a Master Resilience Trainer / Instructor; provides resilience training for over # (platoon, company, battalion, group) Soldiers, NCOs, and Officers annually; develops, maintains, and updates course material; conducts training and evaluations of all (platoon, company, battalion, group) members for the purpose of resilience skills education and training, a component of the Army's Comprehensive Fitness Program; ensures accountability and positive control of course materials and maintains accountability of computers and related equipment valued in excess of $0.0; responsible for the health, welfare, and supervision of x number of Soldiers and NCOs.

Welcome home!
UTN (11B20-11C20 71-72)
11B:
Shoot, move, communicate.
11Z50:
HR.
uptillnow likes this.

Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in