Jeep CJ7 Dies - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Cj Jeep CJ7 Dies

Hey guys i have a 1977 Cj7 with a 258 under the hood, Trying to get it inspected and on the road. I took it out for a test drive a few days ago and it died coming up a hill shortly after reaching the top. I took it out again today and the same thing happened except it died going up the hill not after the top. For the first test drive i had already been riding it for about 20 minutes, but the second time i had only had it out for about 10 minutes. I was able to coast into my driveway after the first stall. The jeep would crank but not start until i sprayed it with starting fluid then it started right up and ran great. After this i replaced the fuel filter, which i found to not have one, except for a water/gas seperating filter for boats mounted on the fender, so i replaced that.

So today after it died again, i tried to start it without the gas cap on thinking maybe vapor lock, but no luck. The butterfly on the carb was open and when i pumped it i could see gas entering into the carb. I sprayed her with starting fluid and again it started right up and i drove her home.

The jeep is not overheating either, I installed an autometer water temp guage that was sitting pretty at 180 the entire time.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Sounds like the one thing in common is a hill. Been a long time since I bothered with carbs, but to me this sounds like a carb fuel float +/- fuel pump issue. Possibly a fuel tank/sending unit (pickup) issue. Have you got a full tank of gas? Know anything about the last time the tank was dropped? Most of these are not difficult for the average Jeeper to address, but the carb fuel float might be a little trickier for a novice.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

The carb was replaced by the PO and is almost in new condition. I drove it to get a full tank of gas on its maiden voyage, so its completely full, and I dropped the tank about 1-2 months ago and replaced the sending unit to fix the fuel guage. It also has a fairly new plastic gas tank in it. Could i have maybe put the sending unit in wrong?

post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Wonder if it's a carb float level issue. Does it run around on level ground OK?
post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Goatman#1

Float level. Could have a pin hole in it throwing the settings off. Replace all fuel filters. Needle valve has been known to stick. If you can run a hose from the fuel pump at the tank side to a small 2 goal fuel can and strap it to the hood or something you can find out if it could be the pick up in the tank, etc. Is the problem or if the problem is under the hood.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM
WindKnot

1977 CJ7 

New means new. It doesn't mean better or that it works. Check the float.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

How hot is the coil getting?
If you can't keep your hand on it-That could well be the issue.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #8 of 20 Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Wonder if it's a carb float level issue. Does it run around on level ground OK?
yes 80cj it runs great on flat ground, ive only driven it for 20minutes so far though
post #9 of 20 Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
How hot is the coil getting?
If you can't keep your hand on it-That could well be the issue.
LG
Do i have to wait for it to stall to test this? or could I just run it for a while then touch it?
post #10 of 20 Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman#1 View Post
Float level. Could have a pin hole in it throwing the settings off. Replace all fuel filters. Needle valve has been known to stick. If you can run a hose from the fuel pump at the tank side to a small 2 goal fuel can and strap it to the hood or something you can find out if it could be the pick up in the tank, etc. Is the problem or if the problem is under the hood.
Ok so your saying there could be a hole in the float allowing it to weigh more? and the needle valve could be stuck, is there anything else i should look for when im in there?
post #11 of 20 Old 09-07-2018, 03:53 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcj7 View Post
Ok so your saying there could be a hole in the float allowing it to weigh more? and the needle valve could be stuck, is there anything else i should look for when im in there?
Not sure on the needle valve, again it's been a while, but if there's a hole in the float you basically don't have a float any more. You have a piece of metal with gas in it. Should be pretty obvious when you crack it open - there'll be gas in the little grape-sized float(s).
post #12 of 20 Old 09-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Sounds more like fuel starvation to me. A sinking float will overfill the fuel bowl, and this wont be helped by starter fluid. Check for any leaks in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump where you might be sucking air into the line.

Also post up a picture of your fuel filter. Should really only be one filter with 3 hoses connected to it. 1) supply from pump, 2) feed to the carb, 3) a return line back to the tank. The return port will be off center and the filter should be rotated so the return port is at the top or 12:00 position so any air in the filter will go back to tank rather than to the carb (vapor lock prevention).

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcj7 View Post
Do i have to wait for it to stall to test this? or could I just run it for a while then touch it?
What for it to die...
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #14 of 20 Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
Sounds more like fuel starvation to me. A sinking float will overfill the fuel bowl, and this wont be helped by starter fluid. Check for any leaks in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump where you might be sucking air into the line.

Also post up a picture of your fuel filter. Should really only be one filter with 3 hoses connected to it. 1) supply from pump, 2) feed to the carb, 3) a return line back to the tank. The return port will be off center and the filter should be rotated so the return port is at the top or 12:00 position so any air in the filter will go back to tank rather than to the carb (vapor lock prevention).
OK ill check for leaks,

I don't have a normal fuel filter in the lines, i have a boat filter for seperating water out of the line, (my jeep used to be a plow rig, guessing because condensation may have been getting in the tank) This filter is between the tank and the fuel pump, and then i have hardline going from the fuel pump to the carb.

But if it had fuel starvation wouldn't it stall even on flat ground? mine seems to die only when going up a big hill by my house.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
calebcj7
1977 CJ7 

Just measured 9 psi of pressure coming out of the fuel pump, is that too much? Looked like it should be around 4-7psi based on what i saw online.

Tags
cj7 , dies , jeep , stall , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in