Jeep CJ- Lighting Upgrade Installation - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

IIRC, the new harness should have one male connector and 2 female connector.s The female connectors plug directly into the headlights. The male connector plugs into the female connector that originally connected to the passenger side headlight. You shouldn't have to splice anything, or remove any of the original harness.

I hope that helps.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 AM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Ok, thanks guys. I'll recheck and get back with ya'll.
post #78 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Ok, of course you guys were right! Here are my next two questions;

1. It looks like the wire that connects to + battery terminal may not be long enough. There is an ignition solenoid mounted on wheel well near battery. The + cable from the battery connects there. Can I connect new harness battery wire there with the + from battery?

2. The male plug from new harness that connects to female of old harness won't reach driver's side plug unless I re-route all the old wiring. Can't I plug new harness into old plug at passenger's side bulb?

post #79 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 09:42 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

1. Yes,
Disconnect the battery post terminal for safety first
Make sure you use two wenches on the solenoid post so you don't twist the post or you will run into other problems

2. Yes, As Matt says, use the passenger side headlight plug.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #80 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah, he did say that! Thanks again.
post #81 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 AM
kuss312
1984 CJ7 

$20 on Amazon gets you this sealed relay/fuse box. Doesn't come with relays or fuses but that just makes you think a little harder. Comes will all the crimps and seals. I'm already at four relays (2 for fans and 2 for headlights) and I hate inline fuse holders, so this box really cleans up the engine compartment. Just thought it might be helpful on this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR64XK1...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Images

CJ7Guy1 likes this.
post #82 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 11:39 AM
1985 CJ7 

(-) terminal removal; First and Last! . . . Always!
CSP likes this.
post #83 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 02:33 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
(-) terminal removal; First and Last! . . . Always!
Yeah, that would be better. You can create a short disconnecting the (+) cable so removing the (-) is best.

post #84 of 93 Old 08-17-2020, 03:52 PM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Will do, thanks.
post #85 of 93 Old 08-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Ok, I'm back!
I just finished installing the new wiring kit and installed everything like it should. Turned on the lights and passenger side is super bright but driver's side is significantly much dimmer than the other light. Much dimmer than with old wiring system! What could be causing this? The dim light is a brand new bulb installed today.
post #86 of 93 Old 08-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

So my first theory is that the driver's side wiring only has two wires that go into the plug that connects to bulb. Shouldn't there be three wires? Shouldn't one be a ground? The driver's side light is not grounded. And according to the manufacturer's diagram it should.
Attached Images

post #87 of 93 Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
So my first theory is that the driver's side wiring only has two wires that go into the plug that connects to bulb. Shouldn't there be three wires? Shouldn't one be a ground? The driver's side light is not grounded. And according to the manufacturer's diagram it should.
Exactly, There should be three wires. High, Low and ground.

I'm surprised it's not in there, I would send it back or add the ground.
You could push the old ground out of the old headlight socket and plug it in the new one or install a new ground terminal and wire or send it back and get a good harness.

Or call them and ask them to send you a new ground wire and you can plug it in. Just ground it the same place the old ground was.

post #88 of 93 Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

Thanks John. The harness must have slipped by the Quality Control Guy. I will probably try and fix it myself, but will also definitely contact the seller and see about a replacement. I should have received the product I paid for, not a defective one. Thanks for the help.
post #89 of 93 Old 08-18-2020, 07:53 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
On my other DD 'Strayhound' ('98 Ford van w/Multifunction Switch) I converted from composite headlights to Sealed Beam H4's recently and had the very same issue. I did several diagnostics and despite help from here and elsewhere but to no avail. I just wired in the foot dimmer from 'Black Betty' and wha-la the low and high beam function properly so I'm purchasing another foot dimmer and I'm off to the races.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #90 of 93 Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 AM
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Exactly, There should be three wires. High, Low and ground.

I'm surprised it's not in there, I would send it back or add the ground.
You could push the old ground out of the old headlight socket and plug it in the new one or install a new ground terminal and wire or send it back and get a good harness.

Or call them and ask them to send you a new ground wire and you can plug it in. Just ground it the same place the old ground was.
Totally agree with John - (as we all should) but, specifically, send it back - we shouldn't be surprised at mistakes in wire harness assemblies - these are usually small companies that make 1s and 10s of things at a time.

I'm literally dealing with a friends 2012 Wrangler that has two LEDs being supposedly triggered from a single relay BUT, someone screwed up and joined 85 & 87 to ground forcing the power from the light switch to be the only power for the lights!

Took me longer to find the mistake then it took to fix because I made the assumption 'It's a pre-made wire harness, they surely know what the're doing and I'm the crazy one.' Nope, just a mistake at the 'factory'.

Remember, after you check the printer for paper and call HP and do everything else under the sun to fix the printer - it's the power cord - it's always the power cord - the thing you least suspect.....
kuss312 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in