Jeep CJ- Lighting Upgrade Installation - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 93 Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCharles View Post
Heh, I looked at that and thought "Hey, that looks like my kitchen table woodgrain!" :-)

Here's a shot with the wiring put together and ready to install.
I'm curious about the configuration in your photo. I assume the blue and white 3-slot plug is to connect to the back of the headlight (or to the H4 bulb to be more accurate), but what is the black 3-prong plug used for? Did you run the old wires from the light switch directly to the relays, or did you retain all the stock wiring and connectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Nice write-up, Matt. You got some great results from that. However, I would have liked to see the difference between the stock configuration, the new wiring with relays with the stock sealed beam headlights and then the H4's installed to see the difference between the type of bulbs, also.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #33 of 93 Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 AM
AZ_Chip
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

Matt,

Thanks for the info. While waiting for other parts I changed out my rear running/brake/turn signal bulbs. Quite the difference. After I fixed the ground. Thanks.

1981 Jeep Cherokee Chief
2015 Jeep JKUR

post #34 of 93 Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM
1tonmut

1983 CJ7 

I did the same thing a couple years ago but I got all the pieces from summit and just pieced it all together myself , great improvement for relatively cheap .
post #35 of 93 Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Wow - what a nice right up and what a difference. Nice job Matt.
RN
post #36 of 93 Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 PM
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Hey Matt,

What size are your inline fuses?
post #37 of 93 Old 01-01-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Good question.

I can check when I return home tomorrow.

Matt
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #38 of 93 Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Thatd be great. Im in the process of acquiring parts and cant seem to find a definitive answer.
post #39 of 93 Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I should add, I definitely paid a premium for my lighting package by going thru Daniel Stern. After doing a few searches, it appears he puts a healthy markup on all the bulbs and harnesses. I also found out Daniel has the harnesses made by a company called Susquehanna Motorsports in PA., and you can buy directly from them, eliminating Daniel's markup.

Overall, I probably paid 25% more then I would have if I shopped around and pieced the package together myself.
I guess that's the price for convenience.

Aside from that, I'm very pleased with the upgrade. I took the Ol' Girl for a spin late last night and couldn't believe the improvement. It left me wondering why I didn't upgrade years ago.

Matt
With this upgrade, did you notice your Volt Meter not dropping. I know when I turn my lights ON, because they are H4's, the meter drops quite a bit.
Also, I just recently did direct power to radio, alarm and the Volt Meter does not drop at ALL until I turn on my lights. If this is the case with this upgrade, I got to finish getting it done.

So, the key; in order of install is: the FUSES > the RELAYS > the HEADLIGHTS. Good grounds. - Nothing going back to switch?
post #40 of 93 Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
With this upgrade, did you notice your Volt Meter not dropping. I know when I turn my lights ON, because they are H4's, the meter drops quite a bit.
Also, I just recently did direct power to radio, alarm and the Volt Meter does not drop at ALL until I turn on my lights. If this is the case with this upgrade, I got to finish getting it done.

So, the key; in order of install is: the FUSES > the RELAYS > the HEADLIGHTS. Good grounds. - Nothing going back to switch?
There should not be a significant drop in your voltage gauge when you turn the headlights on with this upgrade. The reason is, the headlight switch is now powering the relays instead of powering the headlights themselves. The headlights get power directly from the battery thru the relay. That's the whole point of the upgrade.

Yes, the new wiring goes from battery to fuses to relays to headlights. The new harness plugs directly into the old headlight harness. Nothing changes from switch to headlights.

Matt

post #41 of 93 Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 AM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

Great Job
post #42 of 93 Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 AM
DuckDuckBoom

Garage
On your diagram, you have the power wires going to the alternator. Is there any reason to connect them there? I know the wire from the batt to the alt is a common bus so the voltage should be the same, so I was just wondering if there was some advantage of connecting at the alt instead of the batt.

thanks great write up BTW

post #43 of 93 Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Duck,

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't see much difference between connecting to the battery or alternator, besides a little less wire, perhaps. Since I use the group 34/78 battery with the additional side posts, I chose to go directly to the battery for connivence sake.

Matt

post #44 of 93 Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Someday will do this, yet the herp rarely sees any night driving to justify time and cost. If ever after dark, we have the arb intensities and rigid bar. Helps we can access trails from back yard...

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #45 of 93 Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 AM
DuckDuckBoom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Duck,

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't see much difference between connecting to the battery or alternator, besides a little less wire, perhaps. Since I use the group 34/78 battery with the additional side posts, I chose to go directly to the battery for connivence sake.

Matt
Thanks! Thats what I figured. Just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in