J10/J20 steering box to CJ7/Borgeson (coupler needed?) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
sertshark
1986 CJ7 

J10/J20 steering box to CJ7/Borgeson (coupler needed?)

Unable to find a single H1 steering box out there, so I went with a J20 box, which I am sure Orielly's actually gave me a J10, because the piston is the same size as my ('86) CJ7's piston. So it looks like the J20's are getting hard to find too, because nobody seems to have rebuilt J20's (and parts houses reflect the same part number for the J10 and J20).

I bought a Borgeson shaft (for manual steering), since I understood the J10/J20 had the manual steering spline size. Here is where it is getting confusing!!!! It does not feel as though the splines (box to shaft connection) are fitting, and reading the Borgeson instructions it says I'm supposed to "file a new flat spot on the input shaft", since "the existing flat (on the input shaft) will not be used". Doesn't the set screw on the Borgeson shaft go on the flat spot on the input shaft?

I've got all the pieces out, just to make sure everything fits before it goes in, and the Borgeson and steering box input shaft don't really seem to line up smoothly, and I'm not sure if I'm just being scared to force it, or if it's just not lined up right. Anyone done this? I've read a ton of threads, but it is not clear if the J10/J20 and Borgeson (manual spline) is supposed to bolt up without modifications.

Again, it is a 1986 CJ7, w/power steering, rebuilt J20 (but I think actually J10) steering box, Borgeson shaft (for manual steering). Any help would be awesome!

Year/Model: '86 CJ7 - Engine: 258 I-6 - Lift: Pro Comp 4" - Tires: 33X12.5 - Nuttered - Team Rush'd - Howell TBI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

it normally takes a bit of tapping for the splines to go together as when the box gets rebuilt, they don't always do a good job of cleaning the box input splines and sometimes if they paint the box, the splines get painted also. If you had the small cj power spline on the box, the steering shaft would be very loose on the box input splines.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
sertshark
1986 CJ7 

Great point. My gut feeling is that it is the right one, unless the splines are somehow wrong, if that's possible... I still have the old steering shaft I took out, and it slides on the rebuilt steering box loosely, with no bite (it's way too big). Then when I try to slide the new Borgeson shaft onto the old CJ7 steering box (power steering), just to see, it isn't close (while it seems really close with the new J10/J20 box). Since the new J10/J20 box has the flattened portion on the input shaft, it is hard to get a spline count, but I'd guess it is 32, by counting halfway around and X2, while the Borgeson U joint seems to be a 36... of course I cannot be sure due to the flat part (and I don't even think Borgeson does a 32 spline adapter or U fitting).

I've filed away into the ends of the threads, just to see if it would help, and I noticed the U fitting seems to be fairly soft metal, almost as if the threads would give a little if I were to hammer it in, but I'm afraid if I attempt that not only might I screw up the U fitting, but might never get the thing off if my splines are truly off. I'm ready to grease 'er up and just try to hammer the sucker in...

Year/Model: '86 CJ7 - Engine: 258 I-6 - Lift: Pro Comp 4" - Tires: 33X12.5 - Nuttered - Team Rush'd - Howell TBI

post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I have a Waggy box (same as the J10) on my '77 that with the factory bell coupling and it fits great. Just had to cut the nipple off the end of the steering box input shaft. I would think the Borgenson shaft would also fit.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in