• 3 Post By Shawn Watson
  • 2 Post By PrincessJ
  • 1 Post By Controlmech
  • 1 Post By Shawn Watson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Intellitronix Prometheus as possible upgrade from Duraspark.

After doing countless research on ignition upgrade options from the duraspark module both from the 700+ thread by JeepHammer and other posts I have found an interesting CDI module that may be worth looking into. The jeep has been nuttered/team rush and I was able to confirm I have 13r/16r on the advance plate. Forgive me if im beating a dead horse but does anyone have experience with Intellitronix Prometheus Ignition Boxes. The warrenty and weather proofing caught my eye.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Intellitronix/556/150DM/10002/-1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks like a decent product. Similar specs to the MSD 6AL, better warranty, and made in the USA. Cool.

You'll have to rewire your coil to remove the resistor, and you'll need a tach adapter if you have a factory tach. Otherwise, it looks like a straight forward installation.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

For those of you who may be bored or actually understand this stuff, check this study out. The last three pages sum it up but I'm still sticking to my guns in that much of the CDI stuff is marketing hype and the wrong ignition for a Jeep engine. The translation to "multiple sparks at low rpm for more torque and horsepower" is "we actually have to fire the plug that many times to get the charge to light."

This video shows a CDI hit and then an inductive spark added to it. There's another one I saw years ago showing the difference between the two at low rpm where the CDI was hitting 5 times and the inductive spark was still a no-brainer. I'll keep digging.

I'm not trying to go on a 3-year crusade like Hammer did but this stuff bugs me because I really dislike deceptive marketing. I'll try to quit beating a dead horse, lol. In my opinion, get a D.U.I. or check out Redline's new one which looks really interesting and be done with it. Leave CDIs in NASCAR. Rant: Off

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I always thought the debate was over CDI versus IDI systems. Now, Shawn's article brings up a "MDI" system. WTH is that? That article made my brain hurt.

I have no dog in this hunt. I just prefer the separate components of a CDI system for troubleshooting purposes. I can systematically trace a problem if/when they arise, which so far hasn't been necessary with my CDI system. I wouldn't have a clue about how to trace a problem with an all-in-one HEI unit. I'm sure I could learn.

Matt

post #5 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Or another option is HEI powered by a relay instead of the supplied ignition wire. I can use the factory ignition wire to switch the relay power from the battery to the HEI module.
uptillnow and Shawn Watson like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Or another option is HEI powered by a relay instead of the supplied ignition wire. I can use the factory ignition wire to switch the relay power from the battery to the HEI module.
That's the way a lot of guys go, mostly because it's an easier install. If you go that route, avoid the cheep HEI knockoffs. I'd go with DUI or Redline.

Matt

post #7 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
That's the way a lot of guys go, mostly because it's an easier install. If you go that route, avoid the cheep HEI knockoffs. I'd go with DUI or Redline.

Matt
Will keep in mind. I am just trying to keep it reliable as my DD, granted I have a 5 minute drive to work. I heard about the duraspark ICM's failing on numerous CJ's. I currently keep a spare ICM, fuel pump, and fuel filter just in case one of the components displays sub-par performance or fails. I got this idea off someone here.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Controlmech
1983 CJ7 

If I read it correctly MDI has the energy stored in a coil and discharged to the plug. This would include traditional ignition systems with a coil, oil canister style or dry square type. CDI systems store the energy in capacitors. Again, if reading correctly the issue is that even though CDI's can STORE more energy they can't deliver that stored energy to the spark plug as efficiently as MDI systems. The CDI's do have the advantage of being able to operate at higher rpm's without losing spark energy due to their ability to recharge faster between firings. So for high speed racing engines, CDI can be an advantage.
Shawn Watson likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Ive got my ignition narrowed down.

D.U.I. Distributors 40620RD $319.00
Summit Blueprinted HEI Distributors SUM-850047 $179.99 Good Reviews)
Redline PN large cap 99891.516-K (price not listed)
Redline Small cap 99891.557-K $390
post #10 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

If you're on a budget, check out CRT HEIs. I can't say I remember any bad reviews on here. D.U.I. is great but I'd call Performance Distributors, give them all of the info they want and have them build you one rather than buying from a reseller.

Shawn
PrincessJ likes this.

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The truth is, however,that the spark energy is not usually the problem unless

1) the current system / wiring is deteriorated in which case that needs to be addressed

2) the engine is significantly modified (higher compression etc)

The truth is, you need enough spark to ignite the mixture in normal use. Having 2X or 5X that amount of power won't do a doggone thing better. The factory system MUST be capable of fully igniting the mixture because if it were not, it would result in incomplete combustion (a real No-No for the EPA). manufacturers must demonstrate that this works not only on new but on high mileage reasonably maintained vehicles. If they can't satisfactorily show this they don't get certified. Period

The only time a 'high energy' system will improve energy or mileage is if the existing system has deteriorated sub par.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #12 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 08:06 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Thought I saw a recent post where Tom @ redline was quoted as saying don't bother with the DUI or the new Redline small cap just get a unit like the Summit. Redline large cap is no longer available I thought.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-01-2020, 11:51 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you have access to a 1980s Jaguars you could take an ignition amplifier AB14. A V12 has two of them on top, with two pickups on the distributor and two coils. A well made aluminium box, if you pry one open you find a part that looks just like a GM HEi ignition module and a couple of wires. $270 new, they are a brilliant case heat sink for a $25 HEI module. Expensive black box ignition!!!!!

I also have a Petronix igniter inside the dizzie on my 1951 CJ3A. It measures 1" square, has two wires to the coil. No external box, no heavy heat sink, just sparks in time with the engine. Simple, relatively cheap, easy to fit electronic ignition. Engine runs sweet and no darn points or condensers. An MSD6A is about 20 times the length.

All the Pertronix module consist of is a magentic star shape piece over the distributor shaft, a Hall effect sensor and a transistor (the last two built into the module, which sits net to the distributor shaft). The sensor reads the magnet approaching and closes the circuit via the transistor, allowing the coil to charge up. At a precise instant, as the magnet passes by, it turns off and the coil discharges the spark.

Plenty of bull spoken about ignitions and their benefits but they can be very cheap and even very small in our 1960s designed engines. The precise work is the control of WHEN it sparks, not IF it sparks.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #14 of 15 Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You would think if there was a way of quantizing how much unburnt fuel is exiting the exhaust, you would find out how well your ignition system is working.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #15 of 15 Old 01-02-2020, 02:38 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:

Well a day late. For an actual "High Performance" HEI, I would go with the DUI.
The REDLINE 99891.516K "was" an actual High Performance HEI and is not available. The module and coil combination improve the (mJ) mili joules of spark energy, not voltage to the plug. H.P. This has a reasonable energy jumping of the gap, along with the additional energy (longer spark duration) arching the plug.

The YJ guys like the CRT HEI's. They seem to be priced lower than most products and work far better than the stock Duraspark ignition.

All of these aftermarket HEI distributors have around 20 degrees of total advance, and add the extra mJ's of spark energy and they work very well, and last a long time.

I have built a few "Stealth" GM 4 pin modules inserted into the Duraspark box, Thanks to John Strenks work sharing this information, and they never went out, unlike the off shore replacement ignition boxes. The stealth boxes worked very good and along with the preferred Motocraft distributor using the 18R slot used for the advance arm, and the tall cap, rotor, and stand, BOOM, 20 degrees total advance and this combo worked great!

I have used some CDI's, after MSD lost their patents and everyone started making and improving their own units. I prefer the "regular" dwell limiting modules, far better for these tractor engines that develop their torque right off idle, then revving that ole' girl up to 4500 RPM's. Like said above, this isn't NASCAR.

The latest generation of dwell limiting modules, called R-T-R ready to run, or, small cap HEI distributors "should" do at least the same job of increasing mJ spark energy as well.

Good Luck with this decision, it is a big one.
UTN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in