Insurance - Anyone here getting a great rate with classic antique? (State Farm story) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Insurance - Anyone here getting a great rate with classic antique? (State Farm story)

Just picked up my baby (as I'm sure everyone here now knows after seeing any of my posts) and when I got the insurance set up for it we submitted it to State Farm (the agent and I) to be a classic antique. This means it carries the older year (I think it was a 30 year cut-off) with limited driving, etc. My policy was going to have me at the same coverage as my other cars and I was only going to pay $15/mo. Awesome, right? Well, I get the cards yesterday and there is my new policy; $512 every 6 mos.

Apparently, the underwriter felt that because my paint had patina and there were tears in my driver's seat that I didn't qualify for this policy. 1stly, screw insanely sensitive underwriters. 2ndly, I'm curious what everyone else's experience is with their company or if anyone has State Farm and was able to get the classic antique rate.

Thanks to all... and to the underwriter;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

I bought a full coverage policy from Hagerty online. I'm limited to 3K miles per year, but other than it's awesome and still that's not bad considering I don't drive mine all that much. Just had to answer a few basic questions on the website, pay my annual fee, which was less than half the annual cost of the full coverage insurance I have on my Toyota Camry, and then print my insurance card. Done. Was very easy.
uw91 likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i dont pay that for 2012, full coverage for a year. But location, driving records play a lot in this even your credit score.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Just did Hagerty myself. Was really simple and very reasonable.

79 CJ5
post #5 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Not saying they didn't do you wrong, but with what is said below, I don't see where a patina'd and worn in vehicle would be covered under the Classic/Antique insurance policy.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...e-classic-cars
Quote:
Protection for Your Antique and Classic Vehicles

Is Your Car Eligible for Antique Car Insurance Coverage?

If you're not sure, these definitions may help:
  • Classic automobile: A motor vehicle ten or more years old, which is of special historical interest. A classic motor vehicle 25 years old or older is covered as an antique.
  • Antique automobile: A motor vehicle 25 years old or older.
Here are some important conditions for classic car insurance eligibility:
  • Your antique or classic car must be used on a very limited basis, such as exhibitions, club activities, and parades or similar events.
  • You need to have restored, maintained, or preserved your antique or classic car or it must be actively undergoing restoration.

For those with modifications, how did you get past this disclaimer to get Hagerty Insurance coverage?

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ility-vehicles

Quote:
Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

How dare you classify my CJ as a truck or SUV

post #7 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
How dare you classify my CJ as a truck or SUV

I didn't, Hagerty did...

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ehicle-qualify

post #8 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Well they must have changed their rules after I got my policy and I'm grandfathered in. Looks like I'll be shopping for new insurance next year. Really don't care. There's always insurance options. Just gotta look around and pay enough money.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
'Must be actively undergoing restoration'... I bought it and it is undergoing restoration. Done and done.

I'll check out Haggerty, and apparently some others now. Dang, and here I thought we were getting taken care of by my insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
You need to have restored, maintained, or preserved your antique or classic car or it must be actively undergoing restoration.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw91 View Post
'Must be actively undergoing restoration'... I bought it and it is undergoing restoration. Done and done.

I'll check out Haggerty, and apparently some others now. Dang, and here I thought we were getting taken care of by my insurance company.

that means no road miles when undergoing restoration....

post #11 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Hagerty just put me in between both quotes... not bad. $30/mo - $50k/$100k w $100k

Thanks for the recommendation!
post #12 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I use American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hill NJ on my PA Classic tagged CJ.
Cost is $179 a year and valued at $24,000.
Must be garaged kept and locked , prove you own another car for DD, drive only 3000 miles per year, submit photos of top, sides, front, back, bottom and engine bay.
Value is determined if you can show receipts of major restoration cost like engine rebuild, paint, upholstery etc.
And I also have the option of towing, which I opted out of since I have AAA through work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I have Hagerty Agreed value insurance through my Nationwide agent. The kicker is I don't have my automobile insurance with Nationwide, but I do have my homeowner insurance with them. I just got my bill for next year and it is still less than $200 a year. I didn't opt for the towing because I have it on an RV policy. I pay it annually and avoid the surcharges for making monthly payments.

I tried to get agreed value trough my auto insurer, but they insisted that their underwriter wouldn't cover anything newer than a 1972 model and that even then it would have to be covered for max coverage and had to be worth it. Therefore I opted for the Nationwide/Hagerty policy. No regrets either!
uw91 likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #14 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Wolfpack83
1983 CJ7 

I also have Hagerty, and have the optional towing and agreed value. It's a little more than if I went though my normal insurance (USAA), but my normal insurance couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what they'd value my CJ at if it were a total loss. That made me a little uncomfortable considering what most blue book values are on a 35+ year old Jeep.

1983 CJ-7 / 258 / T4 / 32" BFG mud terrains
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i went with a broker when i had to add my daughters to our car policies. i have AUTO OWNERS out of michigan for all my vehicles. example was USAA wanted 1k a year for my cj7 with 100/300 full coverage 6-8k miles a year. now i pay about 500 a year for the same 100/300 and 10k for value total loss. more then what i have in it. best part its still one of my daily drivers. i put about 6k miles a year with no restrictions when i can drive,where i can drive it and keep locked in a garage and so on.

stephan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in