Installled a HEI Dist in 225 Knocks at Idle - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-08-2021, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

Installled a HEI Dist in 225 Knocks at Idle

I replace the Old distributor with HEi, and it seems that it has a rattle noise at Idle. It almost sounds like it is hitting in the cap. It has some light distributor weights. Has anybody seen this before? If I increase the RPM, it goes away, and there is no play at the distributor gear. It's a brand new Distributor purchase from Jegs. The distributor manufacturer was a Proform.? I am going to try stiffer springs tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

Is it possible that you don't have the distributor shaft far enough in so it isn't fully engaging the oil pump?
post #3 of 21 Old 07-08-2021, 01:27 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Or maybe too far down pushing up on the shaft and pushing the rotor into the cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 21 Old 07-08-2021, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

It's been so long maybe the noise at Idle is normal, maybe normal, a slight clicking noise. I think the standard Dist did the same thing. I wish someone would have the sound of a normal 225. They all have nosey exhaust on the internet. I did put heaver Dist weights with no luck. I don't see any were that the rotor is hitting
post #5 of 21 Old 07-09-2021, 05:20 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The springs will only change the timing advance/curve.
You might try dropping the fan belt and using a stethoscope to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 21 Old 07-10-2021, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

With a stethoscope, it's the loudest at the cap. I pulled the dist. And inspected the gear, and it looks good. Nothing hitting or rubbing inside. I think it was making the same noise when it had the old dist. Do these 225 engines just can a knocking/rattle nose? Just off idle off, can not hear it if you increase the RPM. Is it because of an Odd fire engine? I wish I could hear any other one. All the ones I found had a loud exhaust.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-10-2021, 08:58 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I've never noticed a noise with my HEI. It was a stock used one out of the junk yard. If you suspect the dist, you can try to return it, or, if you have access to another one, swap it out () and see if the noise disappears.

Chesty Puller
post #8 of 21 Old 07-10-2021, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

I don't think it the dist. It's just amplified at the cap. It is only at idle I will let it get worse. The is the oil is very clean, and the head has no sludge after 50 years. That amazing it has 37000 miles on it. I will wait to hear another one to see if it's a concern. The noise goes away off Idle. Do you think 8 degrees of time is too much? After seeing the compression specs, I would be running premium gasoline. Thank you for your help and input. If it was for that noise, the restoration is going great and fun.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2021, 10:55 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The oddfire can take a lot of initial timing. 8 is fine.
It may be possible it's a timing chain noise. The oddfire runs a slack timing chain with a buffer and a spring dampener. It may be possible that is what is making the noise.
Attached Thumbnails
9023164_orig.jpg  
Attached Images

Shawn Watson likes this.

Chesty Puller
post #10 of 21 Old 07-10-2021, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

Speedybon

I think your right. It the only thing that makes sense. When all the stuff off other the front cover to do the dist. I move the crankshaft back and forth and watch the rotor move, and there was quite a lot of travel—again, good job in helping me with this concern. I hope I can help you someday. I did not realize what a nice jeep I had. It worth more than all of my other vehicles. Restore it has been fun, being retired. One thing without points starting is quick you can not bump it with the key without it starting. And that one wire Alt. works great.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2021, 07:41 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

50+ years ago I inherited a 64 Olds F85 Custom with a 225 engine. My mom had put 50K on it commuting to work when it became "unreliable" which was her excuse for a new car. The AT needed work and the engine was according to my dad "rattling." A junkyard Buick contributed a 4 speed and bell housing. My college friend Ray who was a mechanical wizard who took seven years to graduate because he couldn't pass one history class lent technical expertise. He diagnosed the noise as coming from the timing chain and gears. We found that the gears had a plastic coating which was worn. The local NAPA store solved that problem with a new OEM cam and a different type gear and matching chain according to Ray was for a Buick 300--the V8 mother of the 225 V6. It wasn't as quiet as the original but a dual exhaust soon masked that sound.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #12 of 21 Old 07-11-2021, 08:28 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedybon View Post
again, good job in helping me with this concern.
I won't take credit for anything till you verify that is the noise.
Quote:
After seeing the compression specs, I would be running premium gasoline.
I would run regular gas. You have to keep an eye on the carb, as oxygenated fuel can crap out the float bowl if driven infrequently.

Chesty Puller
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2021, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

I have had that Dist. out so many times I could look down the hold, but a little noise won't hurt. I do have a high-end borescope. I might be able to look down there and inspect it. I like working on it because there is so much room compared to the late model stuff I have been working on. I started with the front removing 90% of the parts, cleaning and painting, and replacing any worn as I work my way to the rear. It would be very interesting talking to you after all these years we have a lot of stories that's what nice to hear when we get up there in age the life experiences we have are endless. Thanks again for the help
post #14 of 21 Old 07-26-2021, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Speedybon

1968 CJ5 

The knock in the front cover on a 225 engine is amplified at idle. Has anybody heard of a timing dampener making a rattle noise at Idle? It seems to go away at higher RPMs. Is that what it is for to keep chain noise down? There is play within the chain. If I move the crankshaft back and forth, I have travel while watching the rotor, and the gear looks good. It only has 37000 on it, and the Oil is spotless. The noise is not that bad. With a timing light on the mark, I get no jumping. If I had a radio, I think I would just turn it up.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-27-2021, 06:17 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Crankshaft end play good? While rare, I've seen thrust mains go bad, causing the crank to "walk" back and forth.
The timing chain dampener spring may be bad, allowing the chain to slap around in there at idle.
Just rolling the dice here.

Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in