Implement vs rattle can vs other cheap paint - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
CJATE

Implement vs rattle can vs other cheap paint

Lots of threads on one or the other but no comparisons. What is best for the money? I would do the labor for a multi stage paint (I got the time and place), if the product is cheap, and outcome is better.

So, what you got,
What did it cost?
How log did it take?
How much product did you use?

83 CJ-8 scrambler
SOA
Locked and Twin-sticked
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

I would think rattle can would be the least expensive and the results i have experienced by applying coats in 24 hr periods works great.

[/color]
Let's go Flyer's!!!!!!
post #3 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM
davegt
1983 CJ5 

this link should help...i think it is the way im going with when i paint.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=sponge+roller

post #4 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 05:46 PM
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

What are you going to paint? I assume since you mention multi-stage you are talking bodywork right? Rattlecan can give a very smoothe finish, but the thickness isn't there. For what it costs for about 3 spray cans you can buy a quart of enamel, like Rustoleum I think.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

Check out my photo album....http://picasaweb.google.com/markk1960...
1. Tractor Supply IH tractor red. Premium Restoration Series
2. Less than 100.00
3. Purchased 1 gallon of paint, 1gallon of reducer and whatever recommended hardner.
4. Sprayed with a 17.00 harbor freight HVLP gun
5. Actual paint time, 1 afternoon
If any questions, PM me or repost
post #6 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
JeepnBlake

2004 TJ Wrangler 

same as above cept "Old Kubota Orange", very strong after it hardens took a week here

-Blake-

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad's Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:
post #7 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
jayhawkclint

1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I would think rattle can would be the least expensive and the results i have experienced by applying coats in 24 hr periods works great.
Gallon of implement paint shot in a cheap siphon feed is going to be way cheaper than rattle cans, and better application, too.

I've used the implement enamel on my frames, a bunk bed, and even some implements. It doesn't have the hardness that a quality automotive finish has, but it's durable enough for daily use. You need to be careful spilling oil or fuel as it is not all that resistant without a clear coat and will discolor and/or strip. I like it because heck, even if you scratch it up really good, give it a fresh paint job each season for as cheap as it is.

My '70 CJ5 Build Thread:

post #8 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Finaltheorem47
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm I just painted my Jeep with custom restoration paint that is very expensive. I dunno why... now I'm not going to ever want it to go offroad.

If you want my advice, from experience with using a lot of different paints, for your Jeep:

If you are looking for durabiliy over looks (and "looks" in this case meaning a finish to a semi dull not glass like look that you see on cars) then I think that TSC's tractor paint ( The ones mentioned above) are the best. They are very very durable.

If you want a nice look, you for about double the cost, buy some single stage paint that will look pretty well. You would have a balance between looks and durability.

If you want the nicest looks and good durability then go with a BC/CC system.

If you go with expensive paints, don't skimp on the gun (AKA Harbor Freight) you can get a decent Starting Line by Devilbiss for like 50-60 bucks and a real HVLP (high volume low pressure) gun will waste a lot less paint (as in it all just getting atomized but not thrown onto the surface of the car, so it floats in the air and floats away) and atomize it better (making the paint lay down much nicer and you won't need as much paint either).

I'll post some pictures of my Jeep I just finished in a day or so, I'm on dialup currently.

Hmm and just to give you an idea... remember there is a huge difference in the cost of paints but heres a sample of the "good but low end" paints. 10/10 isnt the best paint there is in the world as a low end BC/CC will lose to a high end single stage, but more like how they compare to the type of job your looking at.

Out of ten:

Looks/Durability/Cost

5/10/$40 per gal - Tractor Suppply Company Enamel
8/7/$75 per gal - Single Stage 2k Urethane
10/7/$80 per gal*,** - BC/CC

* Per gallon,
Base coat - 120 per gal
Reducer for basecoat - 50 per gal
Clear - 55 per gallon
Clear activator - 20 per quart
Which comes out to be about 80 per gallon but you will have a lot of excess because professional paints are almost always sold in gallons except base coats which come in quarts (dupont and ppg run 100-150 per quart of base, mix ratio 1:1, but they are expensive and there are a lot of other products at the same quality for less cost out on the market.)

** Single stage can produce the same quality look but it takes more experience because you don't have the luxury to correct the paint at every step like you have with bc/cc.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

This was painted with a roller...
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/image...e/100_1933.jpg

It turned out just fine... I think.

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #10 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 07:55 PM
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post

cb
What color was that? I want mine very similar, maybe a tad darker

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Just keep in mind: things are never as bad as they seem. These are jeeps, built by man and any problems you come across can be solved by man - even you! Best of luck.
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
post #11 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Rustoleum color Aluminum with spray clear on top of it... turned out nice.

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #12 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
CJATE

Quote:

cb
Exactly what I had in mind, did the clear make much difference? You are the first I have noticed (lots of searching) who added clear to a single stage. Did you wet sand between coats?

Has any one sprayed the Rustoleum on?

Prior to you posting that picture, I was leaning to the TSC implement paint (had about decided before I did the OP). I think I still might, but add the clear. Heck, if I don’t like it, I can re-do it in a few years. Huge plus for the TSC house brand stuff, is that you can get the same stuff in a rattle can, it wont be perfect, but it looks like I can buy paint and hardener for under 50. Then a cheap gun. I plan to spay in my hurc when I am done painting, and I’ll just toss the gun after that.

I use to really want a silver jeep, man that thing looks good.

83 CJ-8 scrambler
SOA
Locked and Twin-sticked
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
post #13 of 26 Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

Just to clear up something on the implement paint thing that I learned before doing my Jeep, Tractor supply has several grades. The basic and mid grade paints are similar to Rustoleum, they are ultimately a fish oil (or something similar) base. I totally agree with everyone's opinions on them. Cheap, easy to apply, and economical enough to do every year if you want! Downside, they take awhile to REALLY dry, and can fade over time. These paints are typically thinned with mineral spirits that can be then sprayed. The restoration grade paint I used is in fact an automotive style/grade paint that is a two part catalyzed paint mixed with hardner and thinned with a reducer. Dry to the touch within 30 minutes or so (Obviously not cured though). Very hard and scratch resistant with a decent gloss finish.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 AM
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...art=&PHPSESSID

Wm

82 Scrambler
89 Cherokee
85 Grand Wagoneer
post #15 of 26 Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 AM
twoleos617

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

cb
wait, hold on a second... did you say you ROLLED that on???
good god that looks great! got any more info on paint, procedure, etc.??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in