Ignition switch adjustment - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By keith460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
gl2t1a
1984 CJ7 

Ignition switch adjustment

1984 CJ7 w/ stock steering column. Have got to the point where I have to turn the key almost 180 degrees to start. Looked at the ignition adjustment posts but didn't see this problem. I'm thinking I need to drop the column and adjust the switch position but I'm also worried I might just need to replace the sector and rack. Any insights here as to where to look?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It is not normal. You should not be able to get so much travel on the rack (the toothed section is not that long), at the top end it engages the steering lock via spring loaded rod, at the bottom it operates the switch. Such a long travel suggests a problem with alignment.

First place to look is at the switch as to whether you can adjust it out.

The sector I pulled out of the bottom of my tool box a few days ago (spring clean) had teeth on about 220 degrees so if you turn it past here it may just flop on around and be pretty useless. I swapped it out many years ago as it is nylon and two of the teeth had wore out, so it was skipping on the rack and I was having problems with switch engagement.

Sounds like you need to take out the ignition lock barrel and have a good look at sector to rack to switch relationship alignment. it is about an hour's work for someone with limited tools, 30 minutes if you get a steering wheel puller and lock ring compressor.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 5 Old 07-23-2019, 03:17 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

If your column is anything like my original 1984 was, plastic housing assembly for ignition lock cylinder, sector and rack, it may be worn out and in need of replacement. I had numerous times taken the steering wheel column apart to try and fix by throwing parts at it with new lock cylinder, sector and rack. It still would not work sometimes and turning the key would make it go further then intended. The plastic housing where the rack gear slides into was worn out from years of use so the sector gear would skip teeth once in awhile since the rack could not hold its position within the housing. It would lift up some since there was too much tolerance in the section of the plastic housing that held it in place.

Bought a new tilt column off of eBay and was done with it. Couldn't really find a place that sold individual parts for the column and I wanted a tilt wheel anyway.
pedal2themetai likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Not cheaper than rebuilding a column yourself, but you can swap your existing column for one rebuilt by Columns Galore. It will come with the ignition switch set up properly. You will need to reuse your turn signal stalk and hazard flasher knob.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
gl2t1a
1984 CJ7 

Well, I'm a ways from spending too much on new parts for this column just yet. I'll know more when I get the rack and sector out. Not sure the switch adjustment will get the job done. Dropping the column to get at it will be a PITA but I may have no choice. Looks like a rebuilt will run around $500 - that's worth a lot of busted knuckles. Thanks for the replies.

Tags
ignition problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in