I think fuel pump may be going out? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Bucket Rider
1982 CJ7 

I think fuel pump may be going out?

Took a few years off from the jeeping world. I guess longer than I thought because I was no longer registered.My account was gone. But I'm back at it now. Have a 82 CJ7, 258. Running very well but then it will just kill, acts like fuel problem. Pull over, pump pedal and try a few times it fires right up. Happens every now and then. No rhyme or reason, varies when it happens. Changed lines and filter, new tank, no leaks or places where air can get in. New gas cap, seals well.Is this how it acts if fuel pump is going bad?
I have changed almost everything over the years but I have never changed the fuel pump. Guys on this forum have helped me tremendously in the past. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 08:09 AM
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

That sounds more like a PCM problem. Mechanical fuel pumps are rare to fail and when they do it usually is a broken arm (i.e. no fuel at any time). How often has it happened?
post #3 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Not sure if this is the case with yours, but way in the distant past I had a fuel pump where one of the valves came loose from the housing (they are staked in place) and would stop doing its job. Then somehow it would move back into place and work for a while.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac

post #4 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Bucket Rider
1982 CJ7 

Ran fine for a few days with no issue. Started acting up about a week ago. It can be running, turn it off, try to start it again and it does it. Then sometimes it just fires right back up. It will also just kill going down the road.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Check the ignition switch.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

You can try a fuel pump, they are cheap and if you don't know how old the one you have is it's not a bad idea to replace, but usually they just take a crap and not work at all. i would start electrically, check distributor connection, check coil connections, the "plug" wire from coil to distributor. It's possible you could have a coil getting ready to take a crap as well, another cheap replacement part.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Before you start throwing parts at it, I'd confirm it is a fuel-related problem, first.

The next time it dies, pull a few spark plugs, and post a pic of them.

Matt
uptillnow and Wabatuckian like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Before you start throwing parts at it, I'd confirm it is a fuel-related problem, first.

The next time it dies, pull a few spark plugs, and post a pic of them.

Matt
I agree with Matt here...
It would be easy to remove the fuel line from the carburetor and see if it is filling a coffee can, or bucket and what the fuel looks like (varnish, etc). Also, I have found that the non branded fuel filters do not have a restriction in the return to tank by-pass line in the filter. This will provide minimal fuel to the carburetor, by-passing the majority to the tank and acting like a fuel delivery issue. I use NAPA, WIX, etc. (not Fram)

I am also believing this may not be fuel related, and elimination of the fuel delivery system will get you looking at the electrical breakdown.

$0.02 worth.
UTN
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 12:49 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you are fast enough, you can look at your tach and see if it drops to 0 or still showing some RPM's as the engine dies.

Usually a gas problems will cough a few times as the mixture deteriorates where as electrical problems will die suddenly without warning.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Bucket Rider
1982 CJ7 

Good stuff, Thanks guys. I will pull some plugs. But it dont sputter or any thing. Acts just like you turned it off. Shuts down quick.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-03-2020, 03:30 PM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

My jeep would die for all sorts of reasons, but one of them was the bowl would sometimes get stuck closed.

That was tough to diagnose because I would still have fuel coming out of the hose when disconnected, so I thought it was ignition related at first. But I noticed no fuel would be squirted when the throttle moved, so one day I removed the top after it died... and the bowl was empty.

I gave the carb a good $10 rebuild, and that problem went away. That may not be the issue here, but any jeep that has been sitting probobly needs a carb rebuild regardless. The ethanol used in gas, mixes with moisture and will eventually corrode the carb causing metallic powder to form.

But my guess is still on ignition. Loose wire, ground, connection, etc. I've had both Prestolite and Motorcraft all fail on me. With the motorcraft, there was a connection to the firewall near the battery? Mine had a bad connection there and would randomly die. If you wiggled it while it was running, it would die. I also had a Prestolite that would die, randomly. I tried replacing everything... and it was just a nightmare. I eventually switched to the HEI, and its been great ever since.

I know people advise against "throwing parts" at a problem, but fuel pumps and rebuild kits are dirty cheap. And even ebay HEI kits are crazy cheap. Then redue all the grounds, connections, etc. The steering column harness on mine got wet at some point, and was the cause of many, many headaches. At one point, I had to wire up a "starter override" switch when the key start was acting up.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Rider View Post
Good stuff, Thanks guys. I will pull some plugs. But it dont sputter or any thing. Acts just like you turned it off. Shuts down quick.

It's most likely ignition related. As John mentioned, fuel problems will usually cough and sputter before the engine dies.

Do you see any goo oozing from behind the ICM?

Matt

post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Took a few years off from the jeeping world. I guess longer than I thought because I was no longer registered.My account was gone.
Welcome back. I'm curious what your old username was since this forum generally doesn't eliminate dormant accounts. Lots of folks take a hiatus. Feel free to shoot me a PM with details and I'll look around to see if I can find it. Good luck with the new jeep.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 05:50 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
But it dont sputter or any thing. Acts just like you turned it off. Shuts down quick.

As suggested earlier, check the ignition switch attached to the steering column. It may be burnt out on a few terminals and not always passing voltage through.

I had that problem last year on a few drives where it would just shut off and sometimes it would start and other times it would not. Replaced the ignition switch without throwing any other unnecessary parts at it and saw the one I took out was burnt in a few spots. Must have been a Crown, made in China, version that I took out and replaced it with a real NAPA Echlin, made in USA switch.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Bucket Rider
1982 CJ7 

Thanks, I looked at the ignition switch, looks good, it's only about 2 years old. I did change the ignition coil. Seems like it is doing better. Need to take it on a longer trip and see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in