Howell TBI wiring mounting and placement. Examples please. - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Brianscj5
  • 1 Post By CSP
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-20-2021, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
weapon
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: potland
Posts: 1,140
Howell TBI wiring mounting and placement. Examples please.

When I first installed the Howell system, Just ran the wires and let everything hang out the bottom of the dash. Now that I have everything out, I would like to button it all down nicely against the interior firewall. Need some photo examples of how, where your mounted everything for the cleanest look. Thanks.

In addition, how/where did you mount the service light as to still be able to be seen but does not mess up the oem aesthetics?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5478.jpg  
weapon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler
 
Axhammer's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Moyock
Posts: 2,129
Garage
When I removed the Howell kit from my Jeep, the computer had been installed behind the glove box. They pop-riveted the bracket to the air duct, and then Velcro’ed the box in place. But if I remember correctly tie wraps were actually securing it, because they only installed the pile Velcro, no loop Velcro to actually make it connect.

As far as my CEL, they put it front and center….which I didn’t like. I have gotten used to it, since installing my 4.0 based stroker engine. I would have put it down low, without cutting a hole in the dash had I installed it. But, like I said, I’m used to it now, and it works like it should with my new engine.

In the future I’ll probably go with a Speedhut cluster, and weld the hole shut.
Attached Thumbnails
E6529B89-188B-47BC-B22B-D228C733ECA6.jpg   CE6D4462-604D-4F2A-B95F-95549597F94A.jpg   C5500CB9-5467-42D6-BEDE-27A6FF8D5C4C.jpg  

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
Axhammer is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-21-2021, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
weapon
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: potland
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
When I removed the Howell kit from my Jeep, the computer had been installed behind the glove box. They pop-riveted the bracket to the air duct, and then Velcro’ed the box in place. But if I remember correctly tie wraps were actually securing it, because they only installed the pile Velcro, no loop Velcro to actually make it connect.

As far as my CEL, they put it front and center….which I didn’t like. I have gotten used to it, since installing my 4.0 based stroker engine. I would have put it down low, without cutting a hole in the dash had I installed it. But, like I said, I’m used to it now, and it works like it should with my new engine.

In the future I’ll probably go with a Speedhut cluster, and weld the hole shut.
Yes. That is where the computer goes. I am asking about the dangling wire to the left.
weapon is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 06-21-2021, 05:53 PM
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,538
I have a separate gage pod for trans temperature, vacuum and fog lights. I stuck my CEL there. As far as the rest of my wiring, it's probably listed as an evironmental hazard

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-21-2021, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
weapon
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: potland
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I have a separate gage pod for trans temperature, vacuum and fog lights. I stuck my CEL there. As far as the rest of my wiring, it's probably listed as an evironmental hazard
Ha. Mine was all hanging out the bottom like spaghetti. Want to clean it up now that I repainted and lined the tub.
weapon is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-23-2021, 12:22 AM
Brianscj5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 166
Garage
I bought this

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
John Strenk, weapon and Rtracy2001 like this.
Brianscj5 is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2021, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
weapon
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: potland
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianscj5 View Post
I bought this

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
That is awesome. I wish I had a spot for it but my dash is now perfect and I am not cutting any new holes in it. haha.
weapon is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2021, 11:00 AM
sanddrag
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 573
Where did you buy that light?
sanddrag is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2021, 11:02 AM
Brianscj5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 166
Garage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Jeep....m46890.l49286



Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Brianscj5 is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-28-2021, 10:38 AM
43Duc
Registered User
 
43Duc's Avatar
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 292
If your dash is now perfect you might as well cap it w/ some Speedhut gauges which have a check engine light as part of the speedo. That's what I did. Before that I had a stereo block off plate that i put a hole in and mounted a check engine light.

1982 Jeep Scrambler
43Duc is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-28-2021, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
weapon
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: potland
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Duc View Post
If your dash is now perfect you might as well cap it w/ some Speedhut gauges which have a check engine light as part of the speedo. That's what I did. Before that I had a stereo block off plate that i put a hole in and mounted a check engine light.
nah. I have collected nearly all nos gauges. going for original look.
weapon is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-01-2021, 05:00 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 17,467
Bundle the wires and put them in loom. Secure the ALDL connector up under the dash where you can't see it. Don't overthink it

You could add a small tab similar to an underdash switch bracket for the check engine light.
Axhammer likes this.
CSP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome