Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How can I fix my turn signal switch and fixtures?

583 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CMahoney 
#1 ·
I'm restoring a Jeep CJ7 and am having some issues with my turn signals.

For starters, it seems to me that the original front fixtures for the turn signals are too loose to hold the bulbs properly. Has anybody experienced this? With just some slight shaking the bulbs will fall out.

Secondly, I'm only getting two positions out of the turn signal switch on the side of the steering column, I assume right and neutral. The right signal light will work in the up position (well, actually it's the left but that's probably just a mis-wire from some of my previous work...), but I can't get the other signal to work at all. Any ideas why this may be? I figure I'm going to have to take the column apart, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
It's actually not hard to take the column apart.

You can go to your local autostore and borrow a Steering wheel puller and lock plate depressor.

After that, it's just removing a few screws and pulling the turn signal switch out.

As far as the front fixtures go, the springs that hold the bulb in place are probably rusted away. You will need new fixtures unless you can find the springs and such.

Fortunately they are not that expensive but they sometimes come with the leads swapped. so that might have to be corrected.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/omi...ually-12405-06.html?find=1984-jeep-cj7-436364

#4 ·
replacing the turn signal switch is pretty straight forward. When you remove the steering wheel and lock plate, there may be a horn spring that might jump out at you.

While you have the steering wheel apart, consider also replacing the ignition starter switch as well. It's on the top of the steering column and about a $20 part. The turn signal switch is about $35-$40.

#6 ·
Since we are on the subject...what brand of turn signal switch is good to use as a replacement. My switch in my tilt 1985 CJ7 is cracked and the turn signal lever has some slop. I hate to put a cheap on in as it is not a 5 minute job. I also hate to spend money on the most expensive switch that is no better than a cheaper version that may actually be the exact same part with a different brand name on the box.

At one time I saw where you could get the part of the plastic switch that cracks and swap it into the otherwise working switch. Is this still an option?

#8 · (Edited)
To me, because of the effort involved in getting to the turn signal switch, just get a good new one from a parts house like NAPA. If you try to go cheap you will probably end up breaking it again.

You didn’t mention whether it’s a tilt column or not. That will make a little bit of difference in the difficulty experienced getting the connector to slide up the column when you remove the switch assembly. It’s a little more difficult with a tilt column. I ended up unpinning the connector first and flat-taping the contacts together. It reduced the thickness and still left the harness flexible in that area. Don’t forget to take a picture first so you can get the contacts back in the right holes. One other thing you will find is there may be two extra wires. Not sure about your ‘84, but my ‘80 doesn’t have a key buzzer. One wire is for that, don’t remember what the other wire is for but it’s probably not needed either.

As others have said, it’s not a complicated job. Get the right tools and take your time with it. Everything should go well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.