Hose to vent exhaust in barn, barn, garage? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2021, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Hose to vent exhaust in barn, barn, garage?

I store my jeep during the winter in a small barn along with a bunch of household items. I start it up from time to time and also need the engine to be running while doing work on it. My problem is in the winter I choke myself out and get wet black exhaust all over the floor and on stored furniture and items. What do you guys use ? I am thinking a flexible hose over the end of the exhaust and run it outside or out the window.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2021, 09:09 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

The black smoke and soot is likely from a rich A/F mixture. I'd tune your carb for the lean/best mixture.

I routinely fire up my CJ in my barn with nothing but the barn door open. No smoke or soot problem.

What carb are you using?

Matt
pedal2themetai likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2021, 10:09 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI, This looks doable cheaply?? if you only one one exhaust to mess with You really wouldn't need the fan just run the end out side.

The exhaust isn't all that hot out the end. depending on length, idle or high RPM. You could use the metal flex drier hose for 4 Feet or so and then use the plastic stuff. You would only need like 3" size.

Would like to say the fan would help keep positive exhaust flow..

good luck
tim

post #4 of 12 Old 10-17-2021, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

That's a great idea!!!.

Matt...i run a 2150 on my 86, a holley 500 on the 84 with the 360 and a Rochester on the dauntless 225. They all start out a bit rich upon start up and then run cleaner. Just trying to keep the heat in the barn as much as possible. Trying not to keep the door open

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #5 of 12 Old 10-17-2021, 08:25 PM
robblue6412

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I use exactly that - a flexible hose to vent the exhaust outside whenever I fire up my CJ in the winter. I purchased this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQFQPG...ing=UTF8&psc=1.

Rob
1980 CJ7 304/4sp
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2021, 04:56 PM
254Triple

1972 CJ5 

Garage
I use an 8 foot piece of 3" defroster duct hose. As said above it does not get hot enough to melt and I put the end outside and shut the door down on it leaving a 3" gap so I don't crush the hose. In the winter time I always have a CO detector in garage as I run the Jeep occasionally when needed to work on it and also some Propane heaters when it is real cold.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The black smoke and soot is likely from a rich A/F mixture. I'd tune your carb for the lean/best mixture.

I routinely fire up my CJ in my barn with nothing but the barn door open. No smoke or soot problem.

What carb are you using?

Matt

Those of us that have humidity in the winter would know that black soot at condensation in the exhaust system that gets over everything when you start up inside a building.

I also use the flexible exhaust tube that robblue6412 linked. stiff enough that you can just form it and push it over the tailpipe and not have to worry about it sliding off when running the jeep.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2021, 07:14 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

What carb are you using?

Matt
CO poisoning is no joke. Barn size, construction, and how airtight along with what is coming out the tailpipe from vehicle to vehicle varies to a great degree. Wind direction factors in.

I work in a shop. There are days that no hoses are needed and it is safe and others that it is no bueno whatsoever.

Vent the crap outdoors. People commit suicide with CO. JS.

EDIT: CO poisoning has a cumulative effect. The more you breathe throughout your life the quicker and more drastically it affects you. I have worked in shops for over 40 years and it gets to me quicker than younger guys. My son was a Chinook Mechanic in the Army and spent way too much time in the exhaust stream of aircraft and is super sensitive to like tapping out and you are seriously worried about him and his violent coughing and other symptoms in a very short amount of time. He accomplished this before the age of about 25.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-19-2021, 04:53 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

or you could buy the exhaust hose that is made for that.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...1/flt250?pos=0
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2021, 05:08 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just don't use shop vac hoses. I speak from personal experience..

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 12 Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I hear you guys who are concerned about CO poisoning.

I guess not all barns are created equal. I have a true pole barn. Dirt floors, non-heated, no electricity, with gaps between the siding and the ground all the way around.

It has a 12'x14' overhead door, so I can store my RV, boat, tractor, ATV, trailer and my CJ in it. When I open the overhead and the regular side door, it gets plenty of ventilation to run my vehicles inside. If it were heated, like some of you guys "fancy" barns are, I'd be looking for a similar solution as the OP.

Matt

post #12 of 12 Old 10-19-2021, 12:35 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

My younger days growing up in ND winters, that small 3 inch x width of the door opening for the sometimes needed exhaust tube, would keep any structure inside about the same negative temp as what was outside. Large torpedo heaters running full bore, with toes freezing on the floor, and sweating like a whore in church at head level.
A couple solutions I remember, without going high dollar for a forced air exhaust system, was a simple dryer vent connection through the wall of the building. Had the outside flaps to keep most outside air from blowing into the shop, and when not using it could be capped inside, while the door could be closed against the elements outside.
Some also used a simple flue pipe through the roof, to do the same, but more invasive going through the roof.

'81 CJ5, 258 I6, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in