Holley Sniper EFI - JeepForum.com
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 155 Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Question Holley Sniper EFI

I've been kicking around the idea of changing over to fuel injection on my CJ. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to test out the new 2Bbl Sniper EFI setup from Holley on a 258? I know there's Howell as well as the Mopar kits but this is something new and it seems like a quick and easy install. Any thoughts are welcome as I'm not sold on anything at the moment.

I'm looking to purchase a 15x8.5" aluminum mod wheel with gold anodized center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 03-10-2018, 02:23 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Either way you go you'll have to upgrade the fuel delivery system. 58 psi required for the Holley Sniper. Not that it matters, its the same amount of work either way. Just buy the Holley system. It's the new hotness.

Over the years I've seen plenty of threads on Jeepforum, whats wrong with my Howell system? My 258 doesn't run right. You can be one of the first, what's wrong with my Holley Sniper system, my 258 doesn't run right.

Just kidding, my money, Holley all the way. Personal preference, nothing more.
JoeSuff likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 155 Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

jdboy,

Based on my research, the Sniper and the MSD Atomic are 2 of the newest and most technologically advanced FI systems out there. They both offer fuel and timing control and are self-learning. They both have hand-held control monitors with easy interfaces that allow multiple adjustments. There's no need for burning chips or complicated diagnostic procedures, like the older TBI-based systems.

Here's the kicker. Holley bought out MSD, so they control both products. The word is, Holley is focusing more of their R&D and customer support on their Sniper product over the Atomic. That fact alone makes the Sniper system more attractive to me.

If you do spring for the Sniper, I hope you document the install here. I'll definitely be following along.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 155 Old 03-10-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

If I end up going the EFI route I probably will go with the Holley system. And yes I値l be sure to do a write up good or bad. I really want to do all the research I can first as my CJ is my daily driver. I commuter 52 miles daily 5-6 days a week every week. The system I probably will go with has a complete fuel management system. I seen it in Jegs and I致e been trying to do research before I bite the bullet. I really like the self leaning aspects of this system as well as everything being self contained in the throttle body itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #5 of 155 Old 03-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

Just my 2 cents. Look at all the options out there. They are all fairly similar in TB, software, hardware, etc. All are **** simple to hook up if you follow the instructions step by step. When FI stops working intuition finding the problem stops and diagnostic aptitude starts. They are not complicated but you need the basics to trouble shoot. They are all "self learning" only to a point. If you want the max out of it you can tell it what afr you want at what load and rpm etc.

Double check if they control timing and what distributor you need to take advantage of it. Your stock wont work with out a lot of mods to it.

Most common problem of all the people is see with FI is they didn't follow the directions. FI is a bit voltage picky so they tell you where wires must go....well dont follow it and cranking voltage falls below 10v and they you can't figure out whats wrong.

I run an FiTech a love it. Customer service is spotty at times but there is more info on FB that guys can walk you through anything and any problem.

Sorry for the long post.

Chris
post #6 of 155 Old 03-11-2018, 04:25 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Just did the swap to fuel injection in combination with an engine swap over the past few months. I opted going with the 4bbl Sniper Efi with the included fuel system since I'm running a Stroker now. I swapped in an MSD distributor, ignition box and coil to allow the sniper to control timing but it's not required. The install is pretty straight forward. It is not my daily driver and I need the weather to cooperate to get some more driving time and tuning on it but overall it seems great so far.
post #7 of 155 Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
GreasyJeeper
1979 CJ7 

I just recently put a 2bbl Sniper on my 79 304. So far, I love it. Starts up right away, idles smoothly, seems to run great. I have only driven it a short time, but things are looking great. I wheel a few times a year at high altitude, so I opted to put an in tank fuel pump. Plus, it's a whole lot quieter! If you go Sniper, they are very specific about "clean power". Anywhere that this was specified, I ran a relay triggered by the Sniper.
post #8 of 155 Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJeeper View Post
I just recently put a 2bbl Sniper on my 79 304. So far, I love it. Starts up right away, idles smoothly, seems to run great. I have only driven it a short time, but things are looking great. I wheel a few times a year at high altitude, so I opted to put an in tank fuel pump. Plus, it's a whole lot quieter! If you go Sniper, they are very specific about "clean power". Anywhere that this was specified, I ran a relay triggered by the Sniper.

This is very good to hear. Did you have to change your distributor like has been posted earlier in this thread?

post #9 of 155 Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
You don't necessarily have to swap your distributor. I initially setup the sniper with my HEI distributor without timing control and it ran perfectly fine. Holley in fact recommends you get the sniper up and running this way before attempting to allow the sniper to control timing.
post #10 of 155 Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoffroad View Post
You don't necessarily have to swap your distributor. I initially setup the sniper with my HEI distributor without timing control and it ran perfectly fine. Holley in fact recommends you get the sniper up and running this way before attempting to allow the sniper to control timing.

Ok this is good info and thanks for the clarification. I知 still running the stock distributor at the moment and hadn稚 planned on upgrading it when I started thinking of going to fuel injection. This is the information gathering stage for me so I知 trying to figure out what exactly is needed before hand. The stock carb/computer/distributer are all doing a good job at the moment but long term is where I知 looking.

post #11 of 155 Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdboy View Post
Ok this is good info and thanks for the clarification. I知 still running the stock distributor at the moment and hadn稚 planned on upgrading it when I started thinking of going to fuel injection. This is the information gathering stage for me so I知 trying to figure out what exactly is needed before hand. The stock carb/computer/distributer are all doing a good job at the moment but long term is where I知 looking.

Your welcome.
Some other things to think about.
As posted earlier you will need a fuel pump rated at delivering adequate pressure to the throttle body. Holley recommends a 3/8" fuel supply line. The throttle body has a built in fuel pressure regulator set at 58.5 psi. Using the throttle body's fuel pressure regulator will require a 5/16" fuel return line to the tank. There are other options out there that can get you around having a fuel return line coming off the throttle body running all the way back to the tank but luckily I still had my fuel return line.
You will need a location for a 3/8" NPT temp sensor to go, (I used a "T" on my existing one) as well as an oxygen sensor bung or they provide a diy bung plate, gasket, and clamps and you drill the hole. The sniper will use the tach rpm from your stock distributor.
Hopefully that helps.
post #12 of 155 Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm also eyeballing the sniper system it seems to be on sale right now for $1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoffroad View Post
You will need a location for a 3/8" NPT temp sensor to go, (I used a "T" on my existing one) as well as an oxygen sensor bung or they provide a diy bung plate, gasket, and clamps and you drill the hole. The sniper will use the tach rpm from your stock distributor.
Hopefully that helps.
On the 4.0 the computer uses a separate temp sender on the thermostat housing. I wonder if that would be a "no mod" option?

I was talking to a holley Tec about on older projection system I found on craigs list last week. Short version is it was a bad idea an he suggested the sniper 2300. I asked if the 4.0 distributer would work since it was a timing controlled by an ECU distributor and they seemed to think it should with some modification.

I'm currently running a stand alone HEI distributor. How hard would it be to mod it for ECU timing? I'm assuming it's a matter of disabling any vacuum / mechanical advance and then getting the timing, and mag pulses to the EFI sniper computer and then sending it back to the HEI unit to fire the coil.
post #13 of 155 Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Question for those of you running a Sniper: I've been told that you have the option of hooking up to a laptop and modifying the timing curve but I can't find anything from Holley that mentions it. Is that an option?

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #14 of 155 Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Shawn,

I remember reading something about a "ignition reference angle" that is set using the supplied handheld controller. It needs to be set 10 degrees higher than the maximum amount of total timing needed, or something like that.

That appeared to be how you adjusted the total timing, to me, but I don't know about adjusting the rate of timing (steepness of the curve).

Matt

post #15 of 155 Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Matt,

When I talked to Vizard a couple of weeks ago, he was singing the praises of being able to set the WOT advance curve on the dyno and plugging it into the system via laptop but he also couldn't remember if it was the Terminator or Sniper. Then he mentioned the price of the Sniper so I figured that's what he was referring to.

After digging around on the Sniper, I can't find that option so he may have been conflating the two. He just turned 75 so I'll cut him some slack if that's what happened, lol. I did watch the install videos and it looks like a pretty straight-forward deal. Being that I haven't seen any mention of a knock sensor, I don't see how the ignition curve can be "self-learning" so you'd think you can set some parameters, wouldn't you? I dunno...

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in