Help with purchasing a 78 cj-7 360 4 speed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Help with purchasing a 78 cj-7 360 4 speed

Ok,
Hi, my name is Rich, I'm 48 years old and can work on just about anything. I have had a dream to own a CJ since I was 18, but then life happened. I have came across this jeep and am going to look at it on Saturday. I hope that you guys can give me a few pointers on what and were to look for issues. I know you must get tried of us newbs, but please just one more time?

-The Jeep has a 6" lift with 35" tires. That seems a little much to me. Is there one type of lift that is better than another and how do I tell.
-The restoration is approx. 12 years old, The guy said, he got the jeep in a trade with a corvette but never really drove it much. So it's been
sitting in his garage for about 10 years. He did say that he would get it out and exercise it a couple of times a year.
-I live in Indiana so rust will be an issue, any help on ID'ing the death nails for frame rust would be great.
-He said that another guy looked at it and told him the frame was a 81 and that the body is a 78. How would you know the frame was a 81?
- It has a 4 speed, what type of transmission is that and is it a good transmission.

Any help will be great, I have 2 days to become an expert! lol o and he is asking 5500.

Attached Thumbnails
586225071.jpg   IMG_3083.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 02:46 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

square fuel filler and rear side markers say 78-80 body. Doors are YJ (87-95). Axles appear to be narrow track. I'm can't think of a way to easily tell if a frame is 81 vs 78. And we'll need a pic of the transmission to ID it; or at least a pic of the shifter and we can probably guess it.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Thank you, yj doors.hum

post #4 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 PM
Tfain

1978 CJ5 

As far as rust goes. I'd say look at the floorboards (top and bottom) body mounts on the tub itself and on the frame and the very back of the frame where the rear shackles are. Yj doors arnt necessarily a bad thing. Lots of ppl use yj doors on the 7s. As far as the lift goes. If it's all suspension you're going to run into a lot of problems gett it to go down the road in q straight line. (ask me how I know) if you want to keep it on there I'd recommend a reverse shackle kit. But I'm by far no expert. I'm sure others that know far more than me can chime in

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfain View Post
As far as rust goes. I'd say look at the floorboards (top and bottom) body mounts on the tub itself and on the frame and the very back of the frame where the rear shackles are. Yj doors arnt necessarily a bad thing. Lots of ppl use yj doors on the 7s. As far as the lift goes. If it's all suspension you're going to run into a lot of problems gett it to go down the road in q straight line. (ask me how I know) if you want to keep it on there I'd recommend a reverse shackle kit. But I'm by far no expert. I'm sure others that know far more than me can chime in

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Tf, thanks for the info on the lift and doors, I was thinking the samething on the lift. If I purchase it I'll be looking at a 4" and run 33's. That would seem more reasonable for drive ability and for getting in and out of it.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Should the shackles be on the front of the leaf springs, On the front axle. In the picture it looks like the shackles are on the rear of the spring like a square body chevy.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 08:07 AM
EricRThompson
1979 CJ7 

Garage
I think 78 and 81 frames should be the same. 82-86 have wide track with different shock mounts.

Looks like the front has a reverse shackle kit. Looks to be welded on.

Rear diff looks to be leaking.

Sucks he welded the door strikers on. They sell bolt on ones that look clean and are adjustable.

Headers looks to have seen better days.

Is his dog taking a sh*t in the picture? WTF!

Either way, looks like a great project! Best of luck!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunnyKiller View Post
Should the shackles be on the front of the leaf springs, On the front axle. In the picture it looks like the shackles are on the rear of the spring like a square body chevy.

Where the shackle 'should' be is another topic for discussion, but the factory setup is the shackle in the front. That Jeep has a weld on shackle reversal system. Shackle angle looks decent, but not a big fan of how far back into the wheel well the tire is sitting. What is your planned use? Good thing you can work on stuff as that one looks like it is going to need a fair amount of work to be good and road worthy. Check the rear frame rails above the shackle for rust and over the wheel arch in the rear frame section. Check around the steering box for cracks.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRThompson View Post
I think 78 and 81 frames should be the same. 82-86 have wide track with different shock mounts.

Looks like the front has a reverse shackle kit. Looks to be welded on.

Rear diff looks to be leaking.

Sucks he welded the door strikers on. They sell bolt on ones that look clean and are adjustable.

Headers looks to have seen better days.

Is his dog taking a sh*t in the picture? WTF!

Either way, looks like a great project! Best of luck!
Is that a dog?

Is the reverse shackle a death nail?

I am betting that if I can go 55 it will scare the hell out of me.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Where the shackle 'should' be is another topic for discussion, but the factory setup is the shackle in the front. That Jeep has a weld on shackle reversal system. Shackle angle looks decent, but not a big fan of how far back into the wheel well the tire is sitting. What is your planned use? Good thing you can work on stuff as that one looks like it is going to need a fair amount of work to be good and road worthy. Check the rear frame rails above the shackle for rust and over the wheel arch in the rear frame section. Check around the steering box for cracks.
My planned use? Hum... good question, I'm pretty sure looking at it in the garage is one. The other is road queen, I don't foresee alot of wheeling.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 05:55 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

You will crash before you get to 40mph much less 55mph. I am amazed that it appears to be spring under axle still with that much lift. I can guarantee you that with that shackle reversal, that much lift, the castor angle being off, and the countless other unseen suspension/steering problems, that this jeep won't be able to do more than 20mph safely.

Personally, I just went through this with mine, and if you want to see what is really entailed in fixing someone else's terrible suspension setup, then check out my build thread. There is a lot more to it than you think.

One bonus, is that it does appear to still be Spring under axle, so at least you won't be welding on new spring perches and could return the castor angle to a nearly stock position by simply buying new springs. I would say getting this thing on the road would be a lot of work but doable. I would definitely be talking him down.

Plus note, the interior doesn't look too bad.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 PM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
In my honest opinion, I think that price is terrible for what you would be getting. There's a lot of wonky looking things going on with that Jeep, and who knows what else without seeing more detailed pictures. I would pass if I was you, and hold out for a CJ that is closer to stock.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Looks like a great project, that is a rough looking bitsa CJ7 but it has some good bits to start a build with. If it really is rust free would be a project to take on, mechanical parts are cheap on a CJ.

Bear in mind that bitsas often occur because one or both of the donors has rusted apart or been wrecked. Frame and body need careful examination. It may not drive well but unless it is the frame, you can fix it quite quickly.

The owner sounds like he is being reasonably honest with you, it is a bitsa and has not really been used in last 10 years and he needs it gone.

Only problem is $5500, that is a LOT for a bitsa that is not sorted and running sweet. Around here I have paid around $2000 for such, currently looking at a 1943 Ford GPW bitsa in great condition (engine is 1951 L134, many parts are not correct but body and frame are from 1943) for $5800. However it is what a buyer is willing to pay that counts!!!!

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #14 of 15 Old 08-03-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
PinkBunnyKiller
1978 CJ5 

Guys, thank you! I have decide to pass on this on. the spring issue was just to much, that and I really want a soft top.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-04-2019, 03:19 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

If you plan on driving it in the Winter than a hard top would be warmer. You can always buy a Supertop soft top to use in the warmer months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in