Help With Nutter Bypass and Vacuum Hoses on '85 CJ7 4.2L - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 10-14-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
j76bravo

1985 CJ7 

Thank you everyone for the guidance. I pulled the computer and the harness. I wired the 10ga red to the relay, and the red w/trim is wired to the oil switch. It was nerve racking at first, but with everyoneís help, I was able to ease through it. Next mission is the vacuum hoses. Do I follow whatís be laid out already? Or are there anything else I need to do? I included some updated photos of the engine bay. Iím just waiting for the new valve cover to come in. Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails
74074DE6-6B1B-4AE5-A5B8-54AF164BFBE8.jpg   00FB41D2-AA09-450B-BEC7-7675C010B9C0.jpg   C2817891-053A-44FD-9B5B-A7D67CDCF8AE.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 10-14-2020, 02:22 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

You may run into trouble with your current fuel filter orientation.

Rotate it 90 degrees, so the return to the tank hose is at the 12 o'clock position.

Works great and lasts a long time
UTN
post #33 of 38 Old 10-14-2020, 02:36 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Also might want to make sure the Power Steering hoses and pipes are not rubbing on the intake manifold.

You could loosen the fitting and rotate it a little further away.

I would also hook the heater hoses buck up to the intake manifold. It helps a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #34 of 38 Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 AM
Hoover7
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I agree with John about reconnecting the heater hoses to the intake manifold. Your manifold heater won 't have to work as long or hard, and your intake will be a uniform temperature, which is a good thing for fuel/air mixtures entering the cylinders.

With respect to vacuum line routing, it depends on what vacuum devices you are planning to utilize. The PVC system and the distributor advance are pretty much essential. And from your images, the EGR is still there - are you planning to keep it in service? Is the charcoal canister also there? That another useful system, IMO. Also, if running the oem air cleaner, there are potentially two vacuum motors that operate flaps which control air flow to the carb.

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #35 of 38 Old 10-15-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
j76bravo

1985 CJ7 

Yes I'm going to keep the EGR valve, along with the purge canister. I wouldn't mind up grading the air cleaner system, could I just purchase any round cleaner? I think it would dress the engine up nicely. But at the moment, I just have the stock cleaner system, which I'm going to disable the flaps inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
I agree with John about reconnecting the heater hoses to the intake manifold. Your manifold heater won 't have to work as long or hard, and your intake will be a uniform temperature, which is a good thing for fuel/air mixtures entering the cylinders.

With respect to vacuum line routing, it depends on what vacuum devices you are planning to utilize. The PVC system and the distributor advance are pretty much essential. And from your images, the EGR is still there - are you planning to keep it in service? Is the charcoal canister also there? That another useful system, IMO. Also, if running the oem air cleaner, there are potentially two vacuum motors that operate flaps which control air flow to the carb.

Hoover
post #36 of 38 Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Hoover7
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

To be quite honest, the stock air-cleaner is much more effective and a better air cleaner than most aftermarket round models. I'd encourage you to rethink exchanging it for a round one. Furthermore, the flaps inside, if operational, are another good item to have. When properly configured, they redirect warm air to the carb when the engine is cold, helping improve volatization of fuel, then they close when the engine warms, allowing cold air into the carb, which is also helpful in getting more fuel to the cylinders.

Post some pictures of your air cleaner. If it's stock, and is the correct one for the power brake setup, they command a high price on ebay. Do a search! I can tell you, they are expensive because CJ owners (like me) who ditched them want them back, and have to pay a big price to get one.

I agree that, if operational, keeping the EGR and vapor canister would be a wise move as well. Now that your rig is nuttered, and you've removed all the associated computer controlled accessories, routing your vacuum lines should be relatively easy.

Hoover
uptillnow likes this.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #37 of 38 Old 10-17-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
j76bravo

1985 CJ7 

Hereís a few photos of my current air cleaner

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
To be quite honest, the stock air-cleaner is much more effective and a better air cleaner than most aftermarket round models. I'd encourage you to rethink exchanging it for a round one. Furthermore, the flaps inside, if operational, are another good item to have. When properly configured, they redirect warm air to the carb when the engine is cold, helping improve volatization of fuel, then they close when the engine warms, allowing cold air into the carb, which is also helpful in getting more fuel to the cylinders.

Post some pictures of your air cleaner. If it's stock, and is the correct one for the power brake setup, they command a high price on ebay. Do a search! I can tell you, they are expensive because CJ owners (like me) who ditched them want them back, and have to pay a big price to get one.

I agree that, if operational, keeping the EGR and vapor canister would be a wise move as well. Now that your rig is nuttered, and you've removed all the associated computer controlled accessories, routing your vacuum lines should be relatively easy.

Hoover
Attached Thumbnails
16A2A743-D4A8-4FB3-8EAE-CCBFC0FD9133.jpg   9E5D0EA5-C114-4222-BBF1-783FE8E1C4D6.jpg   5AD74B04-22ED-49D7-BA25-B7F98DD5F003.jpg  
post #38 of 38 Old 10-17-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
j76bravo

1985 CJ7 

I rotated the filter where the return feed is on the top. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
You may run into trouble with your current fuel filter orientation.

Rotate it 90 degrees, so the return to the tank hose is at the 12 o'clock position.

Works great and lasts a long time
UTN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in