Help: Need to identify what year CJ7 I have - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Don't iisten to the guys who will tell you it is a bitsa, it is still a Jeep and hopefully relatively rust free.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
...IN MY OPINION....the YJ title should NOT have been used as this is MORE CJ than YJ...
I'm not sure where the OP lives, but I think each state is a little different on this. I'm pretty sure California titles based on the tub even if that's the only part from the specific vehicle.

I saw it on an episode of Roadkill, so it has to be true...
muddypunk likes this.

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - Albert Einstein
post #33 of 36 Old 07-05-2016, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Torasourus

Thumbs up Holy Info! YES

Quote:
WOW! 2 pages on this..really. You guys are half right on most of it and all over the place. I see exactly what it is.

Here's what you have and how I can tell.

Frame is CJ7 as I can clearly see the front cross member. I was hoping to see the tops of the shock towers in the engine picture but it's too hard to tell at that angle. That would tell me pre or post 82.

Tub is YJ with gas hole filled on left and cut on right. I spotted the exterior tailgate latch bolt on the rear and the double squirters on the cowl. I'm the only one I know that takes the time to delete those small details on my YJ to CJ tub conversions. The firewall pic confirms other small details like the pedal support rod and other holes. Plus anyone who will cut out for those aftermarket tail lights and reverse lights would have no problem cutting for a new fuel bezel on the right side (to match the CJ gas tank in the CJ frame). The new paint covers the body work/filler on the left side. Tailgate is YJ of course. CJ and YJ tubs have the same size rear round wheel well in the metal with different shaped plastic flairs.

Rollbar and spreaders are pre 91 YJ attached to CJ windshield frame. The defrost vents and small wiper arms confirm. Again, the lazy factor here shows me that anyone who leaves the exposed signs of the upper corner bolts showing on the exterior of the WS frame would not go to the trouble of welding in the main bar spreader mounts.

Doors are pre 91 YJ as there is no lock The missing interior panels an upper rod inserts are a really nice touch!

Front clip is CJ.

Dash is custom and steering column is CJ Pedals are aslso CJ as the pedals are larger than the YJ. Plus they swapped over the CJ manual brake master so the whole setup matches.
Seats are YJ as are the seatbelts.

I believe the axles to be CJ as I can see the locking hubs, bolt pattern and they are bolted to the CJ frame. Rear could be a Model 20 with one piece axles OR a most likely a late 86 Dana 44 due to the looks of the center hole on the shaft end (normally covered by a rim /wheel center cap). I have like 5 or 6 of these axles and that looks VERY familiar as one.

Engine appears to be a late 85 build so the CJ was most likely an 86 model. The OP stated it had a 5 speed so that would be a T5 (the SR4 and T5 BOTH have a curved shift lever) All the wiring and small stuff under the hood look like CJ.. The PO even bypassed the heater core for you.....if the box is even there... Looks like it isn't.

Here's what I think happened..... The PO had an 86 CJ7 with no title and a rusted out tub. He bought a 89 YJ tub and it came with a title.
He swapped the YJ tub onto the CJ frame and running gear and used some off the YJ parts such as the seat and roll bar as maybe they were in better condition (rusted out CJ roll bar feet?). The CJ had less miles (per the speedometer) and the YJ had higher miles (per the carfax on the VIN).

IN MY OPINION....the YJ title should NOT have been used as this is MORE CJ than YJ.

Now you asked what year CJ this could be..... the engine code is a good clue but not the only one to go by as engines are easy to swap. On the forward crossmember of the gas tank, there is a frame build date (the tank is in the way until lowered). If it is late 85, then its an 86 CJ. If its late 84 or early 85, its an 85. Anlother way to tell an 85 or 86 CJ7 frame is to look at the same cross member where it mounts to the rails. IF there are triangle supports at these ends, its a later frame. If it has no supports OR separate brackets, its a 84 back.
Also look at the rear axle diff cover and tell us the shape.
First of all, I apologize for missing this post. Not sure how i did that because this is the holy grail of information. The engine code is 510C18 (1985, 4.2 258 AMC born on October 18, right?). My husband drove this to work today so I'll have to take a look at the frame tonight to see if I can find a build date. Here are some more pictures of the engine.( http://imgur.com/a/MDbOk ). The last pic shows a part I need to replace. Really trying to nail down the year and part # so I can get that swapped out asap. It's throwing oil like crazy because of that missing washer.

I swapped out the YJ seats for halfbacks, put in some wake tower speakers, amp and new center console. Also added KC lights. I think its coming along.

Also for those people that said this is a turn it for profit quick swap I would say it's the complete opposite. Some guy traded this along with 5 other "toys" into a dealer close to me for a hell cat. I only paid $3K and it needed minimal work. I could probably turn a profit but I bought it for the love of jeeps so that won't be happening.

post #34 of 36 Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torasourus View Post
The last pic shows a part I need to replace. Really trying to nail down the year and part # so I can get that swapped out asap. It's throwing oil like crazy because of that missing washer.
This should be what you are looking for.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/91...paign=shopping

If you don't want to wait to order it, this came on most of the 4.2L engines, including my YJ. You should be able to find one at a junkyard if you need it ASAP. Another option is to take one of your good ones in to a Fastenal, Ace Hardware, or the like (not sure what you have in your area). There isn't anything really special about it, it's just a flanged nut with a recess. A regular flanged nut with a washer or two of appropriate size should do the job.

You also may want to consider putting in a new valve cover gasket while you're at it. A couple of the photos make it look a little worn out.

Quote:
Also for those people that said this is a turn it for profit quick swap I would say it's the complete opposite. Some guy traded this along with 5 other "toys" into a dealer close to me for a hell cat. I only paid $3K and it needed minimal work. I could probably turn a profit but I bought it for the love of jeeps so that won't be happening.
Don't take offense that anyone thought that. It's very hard to determine the motivation behind these kinds of builds. I think they were probably referring to the previous owner as well, and not your intentions. That's awesome that you found a Jeep you like and for what sounds like a great deal!

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - Albert Einstein
post #35 of 36 Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Mortgage-payer

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
I spotted the exterior tailgate latch bolt on the rear and the double squirters on the cowl. I'm the only one I know that takes the time to delete those small details on my YJ to CJ tub conversions.
Maybe ... maybe not.

Original '76 had no rear seat and I really like the convenience of the aftermarket F & T.

I call it a distributor, not a dizzy.
post #36 of 36 Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, and look how clean and well done the rest of the jeep is. Attention to detail is not as obvious in the op CJ. Would you be ok if I said instead that 99% of YJ to CJ swaps don't cover all the small details?
Did you leave the B pilar supports or go back to the single wall at the latch area? I know it's year correct, but that and the fender mounted roll bar would have really made me think hard about staying "correct"

Ha, I'll fully tell on myself... I don't remove the two large bulges in the YJ floor next to the roll bar base. And those are dead giveaways to those that know.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Tags
cj , cj7 , identify , jeep , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in